• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

Canoe Soduku

Re: Mike's "Escapade?".....I would say yes. I haven't paddled one, but have paddled next to one while tandem in the Malicite. Slightly more efficient hull, in my estimation. Maybe slightly less maneuverable.

Mike - Malecites hard to find in Idaho? dang straight! So are pretty much any other really good flat water canoes, except for the occasional old Sawyer.

I'm at the south end of the canoe heartland here in Indiana. I updated my search parameters at paddleswap. Maybe something comes up in the next couple of months. The key seems to be quick on the draw when an opportunity arises. Thanks to everyone for your input.

What part of Indiana are you in? I am about 30 mile north of Indianapolis, and the Craig's list listings, are dismal at best. Been watching it off and on for about two years now looking for the fixer upper, worth putting s little time into. So far nothing.

Bryan

Well, I brought 'Ole Yeller' home yesterday: Wenonah Escape. Took her on her maiden voyage today in some wind and waves, We were happy with her performance. Seems to be easier to control in quartering winds and feels stable enough. We like the adjustable footrest and sliding bow seat. The seating position is quite a bit lower than what we are used to. She'll be a good laker.

Well, I brought 'Ole Yeller' home yesterday: Wenonah Escape. Took her on her maiden voyage today in some wind and waves, We were happy with her performance. Seems to be easier to control in quartering winds and feels stable enough. We like the adjustable footrest and sliding bow seat. The seating position is quite a bit lower than what we are used to. She'll be a good laker.

Nice Sodoku solution, in time for spring. A foot brace is great in any canoe, and a sliding bow seat is useful in a tandem to get the trim right for the paddler weights, gear load or wind conditions.

So, do tell, what layup? New or used?

https://www.wenonah.com/Canoes.aspx?id=18

Out of curiosity, what were you “used to” in the way of a previous tandem?

Mike, it's a Kevlar UL @ 41#. I bought it used from a dealer at half the original price. The canoe looked like it had never been in the water, not a scratch on it. For the last 10 years we used a Nova Craft Bobs Special in BlueSteel. The 15' length made for a bouncy ride in the waves. With two big packs we were also pretty crammed. Looking forward to the Quetico trip later this year.

Back