• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Canoe Identification

Reaction score
Hi there, I picked up an old Canoe for my sister, was going to fix it up a bit for her. The question I have right now is, does anyone know what kind of canoe this is.

The seller had no clue and I can't seem to find any identifying marks anywhere.

Got a few sticker bottoms, one looks like a chief's head, other... maybe a moose in the water???

Any clues would help... thanks...

Dave

20230630_142813.jpg20230630_142628.jpg20230630_142715.jpg

Those cast aluminum deck handles were used by both Great Canadian (HIN prefix ZEF) and Sport Craft (HIN prefix ZAS). Some Sport Craft boats had an Indian head sticker on both sides of the bow, Great Canadian had a Maple Leaf sticker. The Hull Identification Number will tell the tale.

Those cast aluminum deck handles were used by both Great Canadian (HIN prefix ZEF) and Sport Craft (HIN prefix ZAS). Some Sport Craft boats had an Indian head sticker on both sides of the bow, Great Canadian had a Maple Leaf sticker. The Hull Identification Number will tell the tale.
I think you may have got it with the "Great Canadian Canoe Company" out of Peterborough, ON. I found another one on-line and the hand holds are exactly the same as is the general shape of the canoe, they had padded seats on theirs, but I think the seat/yoke parts on this one may not be original. Thanks so much for this, will look for HIN again, but I did not see one previously. I am thinking the stickers maybe from a lodge or a rental company as I am not seeing anything that matches to these sticker designs. I like the idea of Peterborough though, as I have family from there!!! Thanks again... Dave

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!
I don't recognize it. The decks/carry handles look unusual.
Thank you for the welcome. Glad I found your site. My personal canoe is a swift prospector (kevlar), but my sister wanted something cheap for a trailer canoe, thought this might fit the bill, bit heavy, but I water tested this weekend and for the money, it ran pretty nice! (bottom line... she loved it!). Probably will post a bit more when I get into the reno-job on this one. :) Thanks. Dave

Good luck with the reno-job, Dave. These old Canadian made fiberglass canoes often get a bad rap, and the quality has had highs and lows over the years, but the price is usually right. I have a Sportcraft in the fleet for the once or twice a year the Mrs. wants to paddle with me.
IMG_0662.JPG

Good luck with the reno-job, Dave. These old Canadian made fiberglass canoes often get a bad rap, and the quality has had highs and lows over the years, but the price is usually right. I have a Sportcraft in the fleet for the once or twice a year the Mrs. wants to paddle with me.
View attachment 136303
Nope that looks perfect. My sister is almost 70 and her husband is 78, the craft is a bit heavy for them, but there always someone around to help launch. The width is 40 inches, so it makes it a bit slower, but seems very stable which I like and I get the feeling you could hit a number of things without many issues, bit of a "tank" I think. Tis a fairly small lake with a slow moving river coming in, so should be perfect for them, just need to make it "pretty" like yours now!

Back