• Happy (Ancient) May Day! 🎀💈💃🏼🧺💐🍴

Canoe cradles...

Reaction score
I needed some canoe cradles for the new shop and needed them now cause I have a few jobs coming in, 2 SUPs and 2 canoes. So I started looking around the yard for pieces of 2x4 that were somewhat straight and sound... Manage to salvage all I needed for a set and a half so I made the first set and then found a few pieces of 2x6, ripped them on the table saw and all the sudden I have enough for 4 cradles. pulled out the role of used Fire hose I got from a friend fire fighter here in town and went to work!

I followed the "plans" of Mike Elliott and since we are about the same size, I did them the same hight. A good friend that makes and fix boats for a living suggested me to add caster to them so everything can move at once when a boat is on them so I need to add that in the future!

Attachments

• photo9518.jpg
    photo9518.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 4
  • photo9519.jpg
    photo9519.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 4
  • photo9520.jpg
    photo9520.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 4
I love these stands ! I know they are not suited for hull glassing, but for nearly everything else !
They store compact and simple. Just be sure the base is a little wider than the top.

IMG_0442_zps30a4b068.jpg

IMG_0442_zps30a4b068.jpg

I built racks similar to your's Cantrouge. What I need is firehose, been looking for it for years now. Jim, what kind of webbing is on yours?

Here's the set-up I was using today. Would be nice if they were about six inches taller like Jim's.
image.jpeg

I built racks similar to your's Cantrouge. What I need is firehose, been looking for it for years now. Jim, what kind of webbing is on yours?

Strapping from Truck tie downs. I have several made from strapping I picked up off the road side !

I need to make something like those too, another thing on the list...

What are you using for padding on the supports? Looks like lawn chair cushions to me. I like that if it is!

Hi Doug. Those are well-used Bell kneeling pads.

Around here Garage Sale season is starting up...could be one source for inexpensive director's chairs.

If I had a barn I'd go for the heavy duty models like canotrouge.

Got a Wine or Whisky Barrel handy? They work great for building also.

Nope no barrel in the area... Actually there might be, there is a new brewery that age its beer in oak barrel that were use for whisky, bourbon etc.... But man that is a lot more work than gathering a bunch of 2x4 scraps and screwing them together lol

Attachments

• AZItOwGuWTUwru6t_QhjY4exDLsimJWtAXaeFT_JqmpAi7vOU-lFwmJCiViE9ULOo-NnfT4klOS3L1b4VTex9PMfsf6P2-_JXCHa
    98.6 KB · Views: 0
I like the look of the barrel staves. The market for white oak stave logs in our area is through the roof. I can't believe how much demand there is for whiskey barrels. I understand in order to be able to market your moonshine as 'Bourbon', the barrels have to be brand new and can only be used once. The inside is roasted to caramelize the natural sugars in the wood.
I built some taller sawhorses for storing my W/C canoe last week. It was getting too much of a pain to bend down to get it on my shoulders. Getting old is not for sissies.

Back