• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Canoe Cradle Stand

They are easy to make. I used some old tipi poles and webbing. The canoe will stay in any position which makes it easy to work on.

I googled "canoe cradle" and came up with a plethora.

Alan

Previous thread on canoetripping.net

I wanted something lightweight and portable, and had no interest in trying to make my own, so bought the Suspenz Heavy Duty Portable Stands two years ago.

It holds my solo canoes either rightside-up or upside-down, and is rated to hold up to 175 lbs. The only negative I've found is that the foam that wraps the top of the tubes slices easily, as I found out when I rotated my wood/canvas canoe with a keel on the stands. I repaired the cut with duct tape easily enough.

For decades I have used four simple LaFuma sling stools, which I bought for less than $10 each, to hold various light canoes off the floor or ground, but they are very low. Folding sitting stools like this one:

steel-outward-rei-co-op-teal-woven-seat-sling-stool.jpeg

I googled "canoe cradle" and came up with a plethora.

Alan
Yeah, but most I saw weren’t really wide enough (made for kayaks) or were dubious for some reason. Saw some at Canoecopia but didn’t get the brand.

Thanks Glenn. That’s what I am looking for. Tired of using saw horses and foam blocks, which don’t store easily.

Last edited:
Previous thread on canoetripping.net

Not really portable, nor made from “tubing and nylon webbing,” right?

A little more information in your original post could have eliminated all these "worthless" replies.

Alan

Last edited:
I don’t know. I simply searched for canoe cradle title, and it came up. I didn’t read/study the thread, as I don’t need a canoe cradle. Just trying to be helpful. Sorry you didn’t find anything useful.

There’s also another canoe cradle thread started by canotrouge in 2018. I haven’t read it, so, again, can’t speak to its usefulness to you.

This is the Suspendz model made for canoes.

They make an $80 portable version.

Suspenz makes three models of cradles, all three of which we've now pictured.

The Heavy Duty Portable Stands that I own and linked in my first post are the middle version in terms of size and price. They work fine for all my 14 to 17 foot canoes either upside-down or right side-up. That model is made to hold both canoes and fishing kayaks, which are wider and much heavier than than touring canoes, for cleaning, rigging and repair.

I can't see any reason why I would need the biggest and most expensive set of cradles, called Super Duty Big Catch Work Stations. They are the same height (30") as the Heavy Duty, same length of sling (19"), but have a sling width that is 6" wider (33" vs. 27" for the Heavy Duty"), and have a load capacity of 350 lbs. vs. 175 lbs for the Heavy Duty. Cradles for typical canoes have no need to be 33" wide—which is wider than the max central beam just about all solo canoes and some tandems—when the cradles are typically spaced half way between the max central beam and the ends of a canoe, which is where a canoe is usually much less than 27"; nor any need for gigantic load capacity of 350 lbs. when most canoes weigh under 90 lbs.

Again, the middle sized Heavy Duty cradles are more than big and sturdy enough to hold any recreational canoe, in my opinion. If you order from Amazon, there are free returns if they don't work out for some reason.

Back