• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Canoe Cart

I find the Suspenz to be pretty rugged. I use one cam strap each side, and don't go across canoe, just to thwarts front and back. Can't roll and friction seems to keep it from moving aftward or sternward.

I looked at homemade but they get awkward to portage when they can't be used.

I have these. I use them to get from the house to the put-in which is about 300yds over asphalt.wheels04.JPG

Last edited:
The need to portage on rough trails and the need to have to carry the portage cart on too rough trails need to be considered.

The trouble with the Swedish Carts is they got too blooming expensive! As Bill mentions sometimes the cart is a hindrance so you have to figure out it it is worth taking it.
I like Robins set up but the wheels seem just a tad small.. I wonder structurally how something like that would fare if just a wee bit taller. Fat tires do better in mud than skinnies too

I have these. I use them to get from the house to the put-in which is about 300yds over asphalt.View attachment 128605
I've used one of these for portaging the Bowron Lakes circuit (B.C.) with a solo canoe. While it worked, I don't think I'd buy one again. Parts of the trail were muddy, and there are no bearings on the wheels (plastic/nylon against metal), so there was a fair bit of wear on the surfaces. The tires are pretty small diameter for rough stuff (and some of the trails are pretty rough). It does break down quite nicely; wheels come off, frame collapses, and it is light. A local outfitter rents some monstrous carts which are popular, but I doubt they'd even fit in my Voyager.

It also seems most carts work better for narrower more rounded kayaks than broader and more flat bottomed canoes. For instance, I really wish the tubular pads on the Suspenz were further apart. As it is, the canoe sits stop the pads, not cradled between as seems intended. I may try to customize it but not sure folding and tires don't interfere.

I see it's gone up from 149 to 193 in last year or so.

The Swedish cart was good in Bowron and bad in Bowron. The trails are rock free but some of the potholes were deep and even the rugged fat tire carts they rent bottomed out in two foot deep potholes; we avoided crunching the hull. But the SC with narrow tires ( and its made for canoes) would bog down easier in mud.

I ordered the Swedish style cart from Oak Orchard. Not too pricey and airless tires. We'll see how she fairs.

Thanks for all the help. I learned more than I needed from y'all, as usual.

Back