• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Canoe Art: Paintings, Sketches, Sculpture, Architecture

I am the new proud owner of this canoe hood ornament. Now, which vehicle… I am restoring a classic truck that will be my next tripping vehicle, but it goes against my “keep it original” sensibilities… I’ll have to give it some thought, but I couldn’t pass it up.
44E21559-AAA1-4F4D-B797-D28240ADA3F5.jpeg

I am restoring a classic truck that will be my next tripping vehicle, but it goes against my “keep it original” sensibilities… I’ll have to give it some thought, but I couldn’t pass it up.

Very unusual find. I've never seen a hood ornament like it. Are the canoe racks on your classic truck going to be original? If not . . . .

I visited the Peabody Museum (https://peabody.harvard.edu/) in Cambridge, Massachusetts a few weeks ago to see a very popular Wabanaki paddle. A drawing of it appears in The Bark Canoes and Skin Boats of North America by Edwin Tappan Adney and Howard I. Chapelle. I was surprised to find that the design appears to be simply painted on and not etched as described on the tag. See https://www.wcha.org/forums/index.php?threads/18569/ for more details.

Benson

IMG_5069.jpg

1673277092709.png

IMG_5077.jpg

The Secrets Of The Group Of Seven Continue To Be Discovered​

"Their paintbrushes swept expertly through the oil paint, not unlike their paddles cut deftly through the water. It’s been 101 years since the Group of Seven first showed their works in downtown Toronto, Canada, and helped shape a distinctive Canadian art style."

"Many of their iconic images would have been impossible to create without canoes to access the painting sites."

"Because the Group of Seven did not keep notes of where each artwork was made, each painting is a puzzle waiting to be solved. The hunt to identify the locations of the sketches and paintings and the routes the Group paddled is at the heart of the McGuffins’ 2015 film Painted Land: In Search of the Group of Seven."

For the true artists in the crowd:

Adirondack Plein Air Festival​

Here's a relatively recent canoe sculpture in Toronto near the Humber River. The city has installed various plaques along this urban section of the historic Carrying Place portage trail.

29177045_1883871645018284_800253528747176272_n.jpg

19095531_1883871651684950_2091586156017248153_o.jpg

Back