• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Can you identify this canoe

Reaction score
Can anyone share some details in this canoe? Who the manufacturer is and used value? My step-son inherited 2 canoes from his dad that unexpectedly passed away 3 years ago. We only have room for keeping one. We are going to sell the one in the pics for him.

Attachments

• Pic1.jpeg
    Pic1.jpeg
    360.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Pic2.jpeg
    Pic2.jpeg
    369.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Pic3.jpeg
    Pic3.jpeg
    372.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Pic4.jpeg
    Pic4.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 5
A Sawyer something. Probably from the 80s. It could be a DY Special. Should be a nice ride--they built pretty fast hulls, though a bit heavy. It might be a bit twitchy with that high seat--they're usually a few inches below the gunnel line. If I remember correctly, they may have had an adjustable height seat. I know they also made them with sliding seat-footrest combinations.

Last edited:
The Shockwave had that funny rounded stern. Too sleek for an Autumn Mist or Summersong. Still think DY. I could be missing some of their solos.

To identify and sell it, you must at a minimum measure its length, maximum hull width, maximum gunwale beam, and depth at center. I don't do Facebook, but there is a public site there called Sawyer & Other Michigan Canoes, members of which may help identification and value (which I don't think will be much).

I know almost nothing about Sawyers, but weren't they mostly tractor seat canoes paddled sit and switch? This has a sliding cane seat way up high on the gunwales with kneeling pads glued on the bottom. The kneeling pads seem positioned rather far forward, but that just may be perspective shortening by the camera lens.

I paddled a Sawyer once, never been in such a fast boat. I was amazed by the glide!

David Yost gave me custom altered plans for his DY Special, I built it in WRC...that sure looks like a DY Special to me. It should measure 16'8" OAL.
I looked quickly to find a pic so you can compare, this is the best I can find. If I find another showing the bottom (a dead give away), I'll post it.
The radical tumblehome is also a tell tale, very few production boats look like that.

Dave told me his inspiration for that hull came from some racing hull that he was skirting the rules with...the standard measure was with a boat keel up on saw horses, so he took a saw to one of his hulls and cut the keel line almost all the way through, creating a keel-hinge. In the water it was skinny and vee'd, on the measuring saw horses it was within spec. That hull won quite a few races, he said, until the officials caught on and closed the loop hole in the rules!!
Anyway, you can see plainly that inspiration in the keel line of your boat.

And yes, that hull is fast.

View attachment gz2hJfgvdkTg3FovvfSDo16Q7TFYnjBR1fDjPtPOLZvnJ1YBDZqFj1rBcfro0nEyXAxyEMmxmcrcSj6aU9j2pQtka8DlV8HZl5L2

View attachment 2gzadudAyDqL53qXED9q9CyNV_K31RiCNcPn6eOMcK-IUUwFSb0Ujh3p5S3RqUypT1trciwDP6MOceDPJGynXtcj9CExToKMy3Gf

Sawyer all right and a David Yost design. Kind of looks like the name plate said "Camper" at one time. I had a Cruiser that was really fast. This one is too.

The shape looks like my Sawyer Autumn Mist, but obviously not the materials. I recently found the receipt for it - I paid $700 for it (new) in 1988.

Attachments

• Sawyer Autumn Mist 4.jpg
    Sawyer Autumn Mist 4.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Pricing can be tricky. You don't know the age, it could be 20-30 years old. Was it stored inside? Looks like it wasn't, condition is everything. I would say $800 is unrealistic, it would probably sell at $400 pretty quickly, if you are offered $600, IMHO that would be a good price for you but that may take some time to sell. What area of the country are you, Location, Location,Location. In Minnesota it would probably go fast.

Last edited:
Back