• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Can you guess what this is used for?

Reaction score
On a recent trip to Maine, one of the canoeist's pulled this out of his pack. He is a canoe builder and probably one of the best organized solo trippers I have seen and he considered this his one "extravagance" while out on the trail.
It's made from scrap cedar ribs and plank held together with brass canoe tacks and I think glue, and weighs next to nothing. It's about 12" x 6" x 6"

Can you guess what it's used for while canoetripping?

(I would like to award the winner a restored 17' Chestnut Prospector sitting out in my shop)

(I would like to, but it's never going to happen)

DSC01285_zpsae9ae684.jpg

Are you hiding the opening intentionally to throw us off, Robin? 12x6x6......got some sort of yuppie coffee kit in there?

Is it bigger than a bread box?? Wait! It IS a bread box.

We have a winner!!!

Yes, My friend loves Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches, but there is an allergy at home to Peanuts, so he only gets to eat them while out on the trail. Here is a 3/4 full bread loaf in the "bread box", minus the peanut butter jar and jelly which fits neatly inside.
DSC01286_zpsa7b6307e.jpg

Here's the bread, not crushed, nice and fresh ready for the P&J Delight.
DSC01287_zps579ed8bf.jpg

Here it fits nicely into a Piragis Day Pack (my friend highly recommends this pack)

DSC01288_zps43094671.jpg

Here it is, all buttoned up.

DSC01289_zpsc721f472.jpg

Dave, What color do you like your Prospectors?:(

Good guess, hey! Bill Mason Red will do, Robin!!! I'll start holding my breath now in anticipation of a quick delivery.

My first step into the bigger world of foodie hedonism was on a diner stool in the Busy Bee restaurant in Temagami Ontario. My uncle Jim working the kitchen always had a big smile for his skinny nephew when I poked my head around the corner. “Wanna wash some dishes?”” Sure, why not.” My aunt June had an infectious musical laugh that brightened everyone’s day. Cousin Janice introduced me to the world of kid combinations of food, from weirdo breakfasts to “swamp water sodas”. My big brother Blair however pushed the horizons of the sandwich world for me. “ heck kid, when you can’t build ‘em wider, build ‘em taller!” As kids we built sandwiches rivaling skyscrapers. The contents didn’t seem to matter as much as the size.
Just when I thought I’d grown up and out of that kiddie sandwich world, I’ve had my horizons pushed further away again. Thanks Robin, for sharing your foodie sandwich friend’s ultimate breadbox.
BTW, one of those would make a really nice second prize!?

Back