• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Can I borrow your axe?

I don't think I would ever spend the money for a Gransfors. I don't doubt the quality of the Gransfors or similar axes but unless I was building a cabin or attempting to survive long term with limited tools I can't rationalize the cost. For 25 to 50 dollars I can purchase an axe that is at least 80% as good as a Granfors axe. I even feel that way about knives to some extent. Is the a 150 dollar knife really twice as good as a 75 dollar knife?

Foxyotter, just that, and without searching I turned up several good quality axe heads in need of some TCL and re-hanging.

Oh, yeah, the original question:

So, considering the "just a minute" response I might get when asking the Havers of Axes for some firewood (I'm the only one planning to cook over the fire), would you bring your own axe?

Given that scenario, being the only one cooking over a fire, even if I knew that there were going to be a couple other axes along, I’d probably bring my own. If the other folk’s axes were pricey gransfors bruks or treasured family heirlooms, and they were persnickety about use, definitely yes. And I’d bring my own saw, as on every trip.

An axe rarely to never comes in the canoe, a saw comes on every trip, even day trips, just in strainer case. I really like the Silky Saw GomBoy; it has a plastic case, fits lengthwise in my day bag, and cuts (on the pull) like butter. I’d sooner spend $50 on a good folding saw than $50 on an axe.

https://www.amazon.com/Silky-Profess...16683262&psc=1

A possibility, if you don’t get a handle hung your Snow and Nealley*, would be to buy an inexpensive modern axe. This little 15” (kinda short) Fiskars lives in the tripping truck, and mine came with a plastic “sheath” that attaches securely. At $21 I’m not aghast at using it to grub roots, or chop down brush at ground level to make an emergency plank road through mudholes.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fiskars-Chopping-Axe-28/29130512?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13= 2436&&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&w l3=42423897272&wl4=pla-51320962143&wl5=9007844&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl1 0=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=29130512&veh=sem&gclid=C jwKCAjwmv-DBhAMEiwA7xYrdxh1BN-2_s8g7SGtEzT52gunY9jxFLZjQWbxOU-8mOKp_BVmLdYqmhoCz2wQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

With that $20 Fiskars you could horrify your companions by deliberately splitting wood perched on a rock, and then driving the axe into the ground when you are done. It might be worth $20 just to see their expression of disapproval.

*On the other hand, if re-hung it in time, you could pull out that refurbished Snow and Nealley, regale them with historic tales of family treasures, and could understandably say “Don’t touch my axe!

For splitting small wood and making kindling in front of the fireplace im a fan of the froe. In a tent with a stove I've always batoned wood some sort of big knife. A big hack knife made out a lawn mower blade or big cleaver might be handy. You can keep a file edge on it and not shed a tear if you hit a rock useing it as a potty trowel.

I would go ahead and fit that new handle Hal. At least that faithful axe would have new purpose. Keep the old handle for a repaired repurpose?
And while you're at it you might as well get your hands on a smaller axe, much more canoe trip friendly. (I like spending your money.)
And speaking of money, I agree it's debatable whether to invest in a bling blade or cheap out on a make-do mutt. Your call. I'm vainly proud of the nice stuff I own but my cheap junk still gets the job done.
BTW I like the story behind that family treasure, albeit a painful one.
Sounds like you know how to eat well on a trip.

I got to say that lending out an edged tool is just basically fraught with bad Juju, especially with old tools that have been brought back from rust with many hour of ones life.

I've got a couple horror stories, and the axe or other blade is only one of the victims, as my opinion of the various perpetrators characters will never recover.

There are 3 such stones in my heart, and in these instances the tool was borrowed with out permission, damaged with no remorse shown or borrowed and skipped town with ( A restored Kent axe!).

To be honest, no man is with out sin, but I have endeavored to always have my own tools.

As long as axes have existed there have been axes to grind.

I got to say that lending out an edged tool is just basically fraught with bad Juju, especially with old tools that have been brought back from rust with many hour of ones life.
Yeah, no way it makes sense to loan a well loved tool. A tool that belonged to may dad or grand dad or even one that was from a yard sale years ago that I restored and feel a connection to isn't getting loaned out. Something I can buy another one just like from Lowes for $50 maybe, but even then it depends on who the borrower is. There are people I wouldn't lend a tool to for their own safety, others for the tool's safety, and some for both.

You don't need an axe on a canoe trip just for campfires and cooking. I've never needed anything other than a pruning saw -- Silky saws are the best -- and a good fixed blade knife. Occasionally I'll bring a short machete, which is really just a big knife. There's usually no trouble finding small firewood size logs to saw, and kindling or cooking sticks can be split by batoning with the knife. But, no, I personally wouldn't risk my knife edge by batoning on a rock, but rather on a larger piece of wood.

That said, folks who grew up with axes or are very familiar and experienced using them do seem to like them on canoe trips, and of course can cut and split just about everything as necessary. Even then, canoe camp axes are typically short such as the Hudson Bay axes or Scandinavian forest axes. Here's Glenn Hooper (Wintertrekker), a very experienced Canadian canoe tripper, showing how to safely tap split logs on a rock.

I know I won't be loaning my Gransford Bruc to anyone who will be tap splitting on a rock.

Back