• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Campout in CT Dec 2-4 2016

Reaction score
A few of us were talking about getting together and hot/cold camping (me, I'm going coo coo in the city) somewhere in CT. The ADK's are just to far for me to go to on a short weekend. We were looking at Pachaug St park which I believe is open until late December. Seems like the website changed dates, I need to call them. Or, Robin suggested other areas. Ideas, and opinions wanted guys, Robin, southcove, bcelect, others? If weather is a bust that weekend I believe I'm good for the next weekend after that 9-11. Out of state campers have a higher fee to pay, I suggest splitting the cost, or free camping somewhere else 3 hours or less away from NYC, thanks. Also posted on wintertrekking.

I am always up for a gathering, but with work, family, and other commitments, I cannot always commit too far in advance. Anywhere in the woods is good. I usually have the week off between Christmas and New Years and can maybe fit in a few days. Ski season is upon us too :)
I am trying to register on Wintertrekking but am awaiting their approval.

There is an alcohol ban in place at Pachaug State Forest. Please do not bring alcoholic beverages and plan your visit accordingly.:mad:

Id try to make that, would be fun to meet some canoe campers even without any paddling.

For wintertrekking site , you may want to email the site mod to get approval, that is what I did after a wait.

I did, I guess it takes a while. Maybe now the winter weather is upon us they will do some activity on the site. We have a good start so far, hopefully it will keep going. I found a neat place outside Rutland VT on Chittenden Reservoir. Parking area near the dam and when the lake freezes over, it's maybe a mile to some campsites.

Last edited:
Deer season is still open on Ct state land 2 and 3rd of Dec so Pachaug will have hunting going on for sure.

Your welcome to come to my place lots of varied opportunity's for camping, and the forest around my place is lots of protected non hunting land plus I have lots of firewood.

Robin, I think your plan in your area is the best choice. If it works out well my friend Mike who went on the Mullica will join me. I will also bring along that Morsan for old memories. I will leave Queens around 2:30 at hit the usual ton of traffic going out to you, so I'm guessing 5:30-6:00. Ok to set up in the dark? Let me know about the bagels! That goes for everyone else, bagel time!

It's always good to get out but did you guys give up on finding open water back there? I'll be back in NE Pa. mid December and hope to find open water, but it could go either way.

Another question I have is. If you guys stay at Robins place wouldn't that make it a sleepover?:)

Yes, a sleepover..haha

Coldfoot want's to try out his new DIY tent,

Deercamp.jpg

Looks like a nice gathering taking shape here. Who is in? How far are we going into the woods and what mode of transportation will it be, any snow left?

I'd like to try and make it for a night. If so, will bring some wild game to cook on the ol cold steel pan.

Your welcome to come up whatever day works for you. If you want to arrive Friday night and set up Saturday morning I have an apartment over the garage with heat and it looks like I can leave the water on for another week. Two beds and lots of floor space for a bunch of people.

I have a tractor with a 5x8 trailer we can load the gear on and a good logging trail into the woods to a nice clearing that we can set up multiple tents. I have plenty of firewood and there is also plenty of wood laying around if you want to process your own. There are also hemlocks if you would like a hemlock bed or floor.
We can also set up at the edge of the woods where you can drive right up to the area if preferred.

Looks like the snow will be gone by Friday, lots of rain expected mid week.

I'm cutting up a deer tomorrow so I'll have some venison for my cold handle frying pan to share.

Plenty of room so all are welcome.

This is sounding like a lot of fun. I'm going to come up Friday after school and mightvbring my friend Mike who went with me on the Mullica. Trying to get him into more boating.
Guessing 3 hours of traffic going up. I will bring up the bagels and some other goodies.
I don't mind setting up at nighttime weather permitting.
I can confirm the comfy apartment above the garage. Talk soon.

Glad you were able to work this out. Unfortunately for me, work will keep me here in central NY for the time being. We'll be in the Catskills on Saturday cleaning up a lean-to we've adopted and have another program on Sunday. While I'd rather be (finally) meeting up with you all, I hope you have a great time. Tell some tall tales and enjoy an adult beverage (or two) as well.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Back