• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Bog River to Low's Lake Windy Memorial Day Weekend

Reaction score
Day 1 Friday 5/22
We put in Friday later than planned at Low’s Lower Dam around 230pm, nice skies and a light breeze a great start for our 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] ADK trip. We paddled the Bog River, stopped at site #2 and had lunch then paddled through to Hitchens Pond and noted the change in the skies ahead of us. We decided we would hike up to the view over the pond on our way out and headed for Lows and a site for the night.

As we continued to the portage around the upper dam it started to drizzle and as we started the portage the rain gear came out. WE passed a kayaker as we set in to continue our paddle to Lows Lake. The floating Bog was interesting and very cool, we slipped up the left side and talked about it for a few minutes, especially the plant life on the bog.
Somewhere around the time we realized all of the sites along this stretch were taken the rain started in earnest and then the Hail, wind and some sleet for good measure. My wife, Nicole looked at me and asked with great emphasis “Are You (something something) kidding me? I replied just as passionately “something something something etc…” Yup ;)

We finally found site #16 open and parked it for the night. I got the fire going and we set up the tent and had a nice meal. I believe it dropped to 28/30 degrees that night and our new Big Agnes Double Bag was a winner Thank Goodness.

Day 2 Saturday 5/23
Morning brought coffee, clear skies and a warmer day. After breakfast we were off again to Lows. We reached the #18 site where we wanted to get to the day before and Nicole liked it so we set up in a light breeze, the lightest breeze we would encounter until our last day. Shortly after setting up the wind cranked up to HOLD ON and we watched as Low’s turned into a white capped lake with 1-2” waves/chop. So I Settled into wood gathering and chopping mode and had us set up w/ 2-3 days of wood arranged neatly by the large log someone positioned in front of the fire ring. We paddled Frying Pan, Pole I islands around Goose Neck Island back to #18 before having a meal and retreating to the berry patch behind the site but before the privy – set up our camp chairs and sat laughing and enjoying each others company and the company of the recently emerged Dragon Fly’s. Watching like 2 small children and delighting as their wings De-crumpled and hardened in the sun and breeze. We walked about and discovered 2 types of Trillium which is a favorite of ours. Here they were White and Burgundy and discovering these here brought us back to a hike on the Appalachian Trail near Bulls Bridge CT where our relationship solidified & we committed in earnest to each other. And so the conversations continued as did the intensity of the wind.The wind died down at sunset and we had a restful sleep, a bit too restful.

Day 3 Sunday 5/24
By the time we were up the next day the lake was already winding up so we ate and headed off to Grass Pond Mountain to try & bushwhack to the top. We paddled to around site 25 and walked along the road until We found and old road leading off toward the mountain, we thought… After several ups and downs we came across what I called Beaver Town – a very elaborate series of dams and a large Hut this looked like a Beaver resort and I am guessing has been there a while. We went a bit further and I got turned around so we headed back retracing our footsteps (kind of). We headed back to camp at a leisurely pace and settled in for the remainder of the day. We again sat in the berry patch and were entertained by a hummingbird or 2 for several hours as they worked this patch of small flowering shrubs on and off and we dozed off for a few minutes – very relaxing.

We decided that we would head out the next day, a day early so we could catch up at home and go through the gear and clean it up so it would be ready for the next trip and relax before starting the grind again on Wednesday. The wind continued until bed time.

Day 4 Monday 5/25
Wouldn’t you know it calm, no wind and barely a breeze the lake like a mirror tempting us to stay one more day but no we would have our coffee and breakfast and paddle out leisurely. We paddled in a light drizzle taking just under 3 hours to get back to the parking area. We saw several deer near campsite 2 and out we were.

We will be back, this was our first trip this year and we had some new gear to try out all of which performed as or better than expected. Most notably our Big Agnes Big Creek 30 Double sleeping bag (5lbs 8oz) and our Kondos Outdoors Outfitter Expedition Pack (8300 cu in). The sleeping bag was great our sleeping pads slip into sewn pockets in the bottom of the bag and the Outfitter Pack held all of our gear, food, Axe etc allowing a single carry even with my camera gear – which I never took out this trip. The pics attached are from my iPhone 6+.

Special Thanks to stripperguy for suggesting this route we will be back to do it again, next time I want to camp on Clear pond or bog lake.
FullSizeRender-5.jpg FullSizeRender-1.jpg FullSizeRender-3.jpg IMG_1689.JPG FullSizeRender-6.jpg IMG_1721.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1689.JPG
    IMG_1689.JPG
    421.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1689.JPG
    IMG_1689.JPG
    421.1 KB · Views: 0
  • FullSizeRender-6.jpg
    FullSizeRender-6.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Glad you enjoyed Lows and environs. Saturday was a windy day, and I wondered how paddlers out on the river leading to the main lake were doing with the wind coming straight at them. Campsite 18 is a nice one, but rather exposed, good to get rid of bugs, but bad if you want to paddle the open water stretch to get behind the islands on a windy day.

Lows is a place I visit at least once a year, often more than once each year, by count in excess of 35 times so far. I was there Saturday on a day trip to areas around Hitchins Pond, to continue my bushwhack archival exploration of the remnants of Augustus Low's old structures hidden in the woods, and ghost trails leading far from the carry. It is fun to follow a ghost, and figure out where to pick up its continuation after it disappears into the landscape for a short distance. Sometimes the reward is finding something out of history.

Found a dump of old broken dishware and glass from Low's era that I hadn't previously found, and thoroughly enjoyed the bushwhack to another deep kettle hole I hadn't been in before. Kettle holes often exhibit an entirely different flora and overall feel than the surrounding terrain, sometimes the contrast reminding me of being in a place like "Jurassic Park", with tall trees, lush ferns and no blowdown. There are a number of large kettles on a bushwhack far off the western end of Lows Lake.

The best way up Grass Pond Mountain is to look at the topo map and follow the ridge NE from near campsite 29 straight to the summit. The ridge terrain will guide you without much need for compass. It is possible to ascend from directly site 25, but I do not recommend it. I have come down that way a few times, but never gone up that way.

Back at the parking lot, just as I was leaving some lady mysteriously backed her truck at high speed into another truck, shoving that truck into a third truck, doing a considerable amount of damage to all three. One truck had Texas plates. I was glad I was parked a couple hundred feet up the road. A trooper showed up just as I was leaving. I suppose Dawn (the DEC Assistant Ranger who patrols the lake) would have to make the rounds to find the two vehicle owners.

Last edited:
Dave,

I've been waiting for your trip report...glad to hear you two had a good time despite the uncooperative winds. Too bad you didn't find your way up Grass Pond Mt, you'll get there next time, right? We went up from the bay near site 25, some fun scrambling up ledges and shelves, easy peasy, I thought.
Lows is a great spot for sunsets, which I see you noticed, lots of loons and coyotes too! And the floating bogs are tres cool, did you see the giant one jammed near site 39? Too bad about the wind, but at least the wind kept the bugs away.
Bog Lake will be more protected, and I think I remember seeing a lone site on Clear, just opposite from where the carry from Harrington comes out, but I don't see that site on the paddler's map, nor on DEC'c interactive mapper.
So I guess you didn't make it up Hitchins ridge either? Well, all the more reason for a return trip.
So, what's the next ADK trip?

yknpdlr -

We saw the truck w Texas plates and a burgundy car mushed up against its rear bumper - glad we parked along the road. I believe we met Dawn as she stopped by our campsite and put up another Campsite disc on a tree. Finding that dump of dishes sounds very interesting. We found the foundations and fireplace along the portage cool and and we will definitely be back to explore a bit more. The kettle holes sound particularly inviting....
Dan

stripperguy

We will make it up next time for certain I went up that road thinking we'd well I'd have an easier time - at 6'5" blow down and I don't get along LOL I usually bump my noggin a few times and I took a gamble that the old road would be easier a scramble would have been better for sure.
There is one site near the portage on Bog lake and the other is after the portage to the lrft after entering Clear Ponds neither are numbered. I know our next week long trip is between a loop through the William C Whitney Wilderness Area & St.Regis area we have not decided on shorter weekenders yet, though a weekend in June and 1 in July are possible. Cranberry Lake was discussed as was the Raquette River
I start a 2 month long project in Boston Monday so I may be limited with additional time off for longer trips until Aug/Sept - we are always open for a good suggestion. I still need to pick up the book you suggested as well.
Thank you we enjoyed this trip and our appetites are whetted for more.
Dan

Thanks for sharing and nice pics too...brings back some good memories, solo, with kids and with my then GF. Goes back a few years! There are some good places to go for quicker weekends or mid-weeks trips too and the shoulder seasons will bring their own joys - mostly lack of bugs, crowds of cars at launch spots and open camp sites... We saw 3 eagles on our last outing in early May and that rather set the fuse burning for the next weekend.

Back