• Happy May Ray Day! 🌞😎🌻🩳🇩

Camping and wilderness surviving 100 years ago

I want to go tripping with Canotrouge.

My Dad has a giant collection of Marble's knives and axes including a couple of Safety Pocket Axes

It was interesting to see what that fellow had on his belt. Although the print size just about killed my eyes.

Now, I'm not trying to be awfully harsh but I own one of those Savage pistols and it's just about the last gun I'd take for his purposes. At the time of the writing, there were many great many, long barreled .22lr pistols with fine sights available to the author. Most were single shots. Far and away a better choice.

That little Savage is interesting as one idea of how to make a automatic pistol, they designed it up to take a .45 acp and sent it off to compete with the Colt 1911 in the trials to select a service auto. And the rest, as they say, is history.

I'd suggest that a regular hatchet would be a better tool than a "tomahawk" and hold up better under the pressure of camp duties.

But it was fun seeing that outdoor writers were as full of beans then as they are now!

SMALLWORKS: You might want to look at Rocky Mountain Bushcraft and check out their evaluation of the current issue of the Marble safety pocket axe. Turns out that several people have had the heads fall off the handle. I know that the metal swing sheath looks cute but if it ever got bent then it would be very hard to bend it back to where it would work well. And really, a good leather sheath isn't that hard to use and can be replaced if needed, no problem.

Best Wishes, Rob

Automobile tent ad from 1915. Perfect for canoe base camping.

81B%2BiCBO6mL._SL1500_.jpg

Automobiles from the early 20th century had nice flat roofs for carrying canoes. We should be reluctant to purchase canoe vehicles that are newer than that.

Back