• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

BWCA February 2020

Reaction score
Took a 4 day 3 night trip into the BWCA this past weekend. Built myself a new trekking sled and a simple Wanigan (based on Robins YouTube build of his) for this trip. The sled was a vast improvement from using a plastic 4' sled and the Wanigan served multiple tasks as a gear hauler and table. Rented a Snow trekker tent and stove to give that a try too. Hit the trail late morning on Thursday at the South Hegman entry point, we knew this would be as busy an entry point as the BWCA has in the winter but like everyone else we want to see the pictographs that are on North Hegman. Most people were doing this as a day trip. Decided to pull into a secluded bay away from the main trail to the pictographs and set up camp. The new sled worked great, seemed like there was almost no friction compared to sleds in the past. I actually put most of the heavy stuff on my sled to test it out. This ended up being one of our shorter hauls into a winter site but hey, that's ok once in a while too. Spent Thursday afternoon getting camp set up, setting up the canvas tent (way too many poles and guy lines), setting up the stove and finding some fire wood. The weather was great, sky was clear and the stars were amazing.

Friday morning brought another clear beautiful day. After breakfast of egg, bacon, sausage and cheese sandwiches we headed off to see the pictographs. Was like a highway because it was a beautiful day but they were great. There was one group of 8 ladies headed to see them and 6 of the 8 turned around about 200 yards away because they had to get back for lunch! After seeing and of course photographing the pictographs we headed on past them and lost ALL of the traffic. Hiked up a couple of more lakes and found the remains of an old fire tower and then headed back to camp. Had another night of clear skys, no moon and beautiful stars.

Saturday morning brought about another clear sunrise and the beginning of a gorgeous day. Actually almost too nice, got to 48F and all the snow was getting pretty mushy. Did some fishing, only caught 1 small one and bummed around camp most of the day. Ended up with a 3rd straight night of clear skys so I drug my bedroll out of the tent and spent the night under the stars, was fantastic.

Sunday morning after bacon and pancakes we packed up and headed out. Was cold enough during the night to freeze up and we managed to get back to the vehicles before it got too slushy again.

Took my 9 month old pup on the trip and she just loved it. Her mom is a Siberian Husky and her dad a Tibetan Mastiff so she is a now dog through and through.

Here's a link to a google photo album, hope it works.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pSLq8ARr5doyNtG19

Thanks for taking us along. Back in "Spring Break" 1972, some college friends and I dragged a old wood toboggan loaded with a 8X10 wall tent, small dark house wood stove and a bunch of blankets, quilts and sleeping bags up through North Hegman Lake and Angleworm Lake. We base camped at the north end of Angleworm in a thick stand of Balsam Fir and spruce. We day tripped to ice fished in lakes farther North. We drew straws to see who had to snowshoe back to the car to drive into Ely for more food. We really put a dent in Zup's Polish Delights. Great memories brought back to me by reading your post. 47 years ago there was no sign that anyone had been out there all winter. It is remarkable that the pictographs are just as vibrant and clear in your pictures as they were back then. I too, took my dog Fritz along, he was a Siberian Husky, the first of many sled dog friends that I had over the years.

Nice winter trip report. Winter is sorely missed here in PA this year. Winter is my favorite camping and paddling season.

Her mom is a Siberian Husky and her dad a Tibetan Mastiff so she is a now dog through and through.

You just never know where you’ll find love.

Cheers
barry

Now you need a couple more dogs to pull that sled !

Did the pup sleep with you outside the tent ? A One Dog night ?

I enjoyed the pics as others ! Thanks !

Jim

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Loved the photos and your dog as well. Looks like a true winter tripper! You two are sure to have many wonderful adventures in the years to come.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Now you need a couple more dogs to pull that sled !

Did the pup sleep with you outside the tent ? A One Dog night ?

I enjoyed the pics as others ! Thanks !

Jim

The pup slept at my side every night whether inside the tent or outside. I got very lucky with this one, she's amazing.

Now here's to hoping she's not too big and rambouncous for a canoe!

Back