• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Bunny hunting, snow shoeing and bang sticks

Geeze Rippy I gotta come visit you and sample your "forbidden fruits".

Bring some objects that piss you off, we'll have a stress relieving session. My favorite was the gas powered string trimmer that screwed with me for the last time.

Ppine, that is exactly why I got rid of the .44 magnum lever gun and am moving to a12 or 20ga slug gun. One of them drum fed ones like Rippy has would be a bit of overkill but looks tempting. I am actually considering an over/under.Sort of the double rifle concept.

One of them drum fed ones like Rippy has would be a bit of overkill but looks tempting.

I guess I built Mr. Whoop arse as a project and got carried away. He was supposed to be my version of a Zombie gun. When I finish assembled him and stood back and looked at him I suddenly felt sheepish and very embarrassed. I said to my wife, honey I think I might have got carried away and over done it. Caring about me and knowing that I felt uncomfortable she said, "you can't over do a Zombie gun." Bless her soul. Anyway, Whoop weighs a ton and can be finicky. For dependable protection I would pick up my 870 Remington in a heart beat. Whoop, no way.

My latest canoe gun came in today. Remington Gamemaster 760, 30-06, according to the serial numbers, it was built in July of 1975. What a lovely gun! Not a plastic piece on it! The action is so smooth, follow up shots are very very fast, as is acquiring the target. Detachable mag too, which is really nice for canoe tripping.

I had looked at the new version, the 7600, but had read quite a few bad reviews, so I looked around for an old one, and was lucky enough to get it for a good price. Hope it warms up soon so I can shoot a couple of hundred rounds!

My new favourite rifle is a Ruger #1 international in 30-06. Love it, got my moose with it last fall. That said, I need to get a tiger kit or the trigger worked cause Ruger are no Remington's.... And get a bit better scope for it!!
Always loved those pump action from Remington, really good rifle, and quite accurate!!
Cheers

I sold my Rossi lever action .44 mag...copy of a 92 Winchester. It was ok but it had a ton of muzzle blast and was not very pleasant to shoot. And just a pistol calibre at that.
I have been eyeing up a couple of those old Remingtons too but I am looking for one in .308 instead. In the meantime though, it is looking like 20 ga shotgun.

Christy

I have never understood rifles with pistol calibers. The Marlin in .45-70 and stainless steel and laminated stock is a great canoe gun. The new .45-70 loads made for modern guns are impressively powerful. They have 3x the energy of a .44 mag. It is one of the preferred calibers for people that hunt the big bears.

Sooooo, my friend's husband was saying that he had a couple of old guns that he might try to sell to help pay for the new truck. Something with a hexagon barrel he tells her. They are looking at it today. Turns out to be a Model 94 Winchester rifle, 26"octagon barrel, .30 WCF. She calls me all excited because it is a 48,xxx serial number, making it second year production and looks to be very good to excellent.

Sitting in the back of the closet with the deer rifles and .22' s. Geeeeze.

Anyone know a collector who would be interested? They are going to get it appraised and then try to sell it. I told her I just want to hold it for a minute...lol.

Christy

Always got to be wary about descriptions of conditions. People can get pretty excited. The interweb seems to think that gun could be worth between 700 bucks and 5000. They selling anything else?

I can buy them from Epps for around 600 in used, good shooter condition. If that is what it turns out to be then I will be having it...lol. My dad was a big Winchester collector though so I will know if its any good or not when I see it. I am not sure what else is for sale but I will be looking next weekend probably.

Re: snowshoeing, my husband got me a beautiful pair of Canadian GV snowshoes, traditionally made, but the bindings keep slipping. Never had this problem before. If Memaquay, or anyone knows of a good binding, most appreciated. Looked at Bob Maki Northwoods 621100) online- they're rubber and a bit expensive..
My husband likes the Ruger Mark 2 with a bull barrel.

Back in the day, when I worked for the Commercial Fisheries Division of Alaska Dept. of Fish & Game, I did a lot of low level air surveys of salmon spawning streams. I now know that this was dangerous work, back then it was just fun and exceiting. To begin with I carried in my survival pack, a .22 Smith & Wesson air weight kit gun. I could not hit the broadside of a barn with that thing. I figured if I were ever in a crash I would be to shook up to ever use it, to provide some meat. I sold it, and bought a series of Savage Model 24's, in .22 rimfire over 20 gauge. The first 4 would not shoot a 20 gauge slug to near where the .22 was sighted in. I hit paydirt with a Model 24-C the camper's companion. I have carried that gun, dismantled, in my day pack, all over Alaska. In the pocket of the pack I carried a couple boxes of .22's, a box of 20 gauge bird shot, and two boxes of 20 gauge slugs. I also stuffed a short length of gill net, with variable sized web, matches, pot, dry soup, tea & coffee, and a first aid kit I never had use of any of these things, maybe lucky, I do know that after a few years of aerial surveys I learned which pilots to fly with and which not to. In the end I would fly with only two.
I did shoot quite a few grouse for the home table with this gun, and I still take it on most outdoor trips. I have for the last 20 years had a gun from Finland, it's a Valmet (just like Tikka only older) in 12 gauge and 30-06. It is the big brother to the little Savage. The only two guns I will ever need, of course need and want are two different critters.

Very interesting Boreal! I've been thinking about a combo gun for quite a while, but I think it will have to wait. How does that Valmet work, sure wouldn't want to discharge both barrels at once!

You could just get different barrels for your H&R Topper. They make rifle barrels for that now too. A 20 guage barrel and a .357 would be pretty sweet.
Ooops sorry, I just went looking and they are no longer in business. Rossi makes a combination set though and sells extra barrels

Last edited:
The Valmet 412 is just like the Finns, tough. I have never shot anything with it but, grouse and ptarmigan, it works great on birds. My friend that sold me the gun used to shoot competitive trap & skeet, in those days it sported 12 gauge barrels along with combo barrels. From what I have read it could be also had as a double rifle, with 9.3x74 rimmed or 30-06 barrels. I know a guy in Finland that hunts the heck out of those huge black grouse (Capercaille) that they have over there. His gun is a 222 Remington under the 12 gauge barrel. These birds are as big as the North American wild turkey. The Finns have this yappy spitz type dog that finds the birds. It then chases it up into the trees, then yapps at it, keeping it distracted until the hunter gets within range. I would like to go along on such a hunt. My gun came with scope base & rings which are pretty heavy, maybe a pound. I put a scope on the gun and sighted it in, but found I didn't like the way the gun carried in my hand, nor the extra weight. The Valmet 412 I have has a small button on the on the single trigger to select which barrel is fired first, a second pull of the trigger fires the second barrel. The only time that I have tried that was the first day I had the gun I wanted to see how close the two barrels were regulated to each other. A slug out of the 12 gauge barrel shoots to the same place as the 30-06 barrel. The rifle barrel point of impact can be moved to hit at the same point of aim as the shotgun barrel. Someone most likely my friend Ron had already done that. I wanted this gun because whenever I hunt moose, I see grouse. Whenever I hunt grouse, I see moose. Now that I am prepared, I don't see anything!! It is a nice gun to walk around in the woods up here. When I worked for the Alaska Dept. of Fish & Game one of our jobs was to do salmon stream surveys. We were issued 12 gauge Remington Wing Masters, with short barrels with sights, along with a few boxes of slugs. We also got to practice shooting at a charging paper bear target, which was fun, mostly making fun of our co-workers forgetting about taking the safety off, prior to shooting, then having a gigantic flinch, without the gun discharging.
When I first worked for the ADF&G I carried a Acme Thunderer Whistle on a string around my neck to scare away any lurking bears. Once while floating a arctic river looking for tagged salmon, I spotted a sow grizzly, with yearling cubs, on a hill eating blueberries. They were maybe a little more than 400 meters away. I thought that this would be a good chance to check out how good the whistle worked. I blew out a nice blast, the bears perked up, just like well trained dogs they started down the hill, headed right at us. The harder I blew on the whistle the faster they came, until they ran into our scent stream. At the first wiff of human smell they turned 180 degrees and ran as hard as they could over the hill. While they were doing that, I was really busy getting that whistle thrown as far away as I could. From that day on i never, I repeat NEVER whistle outside.
BB

Back