• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Breakfast ideas

Reaction score
I don't dehydrate so I ordered these items for breakfast while canoetripping. I have heard good things about OvaEasy eggs, but have no idea about the other two items.
Any thoughts on these 3, good or bad?

I'm thinking eggs and hashbrowns with a little ketchup on the side, maybe a bagel with powered butter on the side. Can't wait!

31GVU7kCC-L._SY90_.jpg
OvaEasy Powdered Whole Eggs (3-pack of 4.5 oz. bags)

41CVW14QTLL._SY90_.jpg
GOLDEN GRILL Russet Premium Hashbrown Potatoes 33 oz. Makes 50 Servings

51O1TZblOUL._SY90_.jpg
Hoosier Hill Farm Butter powder, 1 lb

Robin - No personal experience with any of these products so I'm interested in what replies you get. I have also heard good things about the OvaEasy eggs but the one video where I saw them being prepared it looked like more than I might be interested in dealing with. For the time being I'll probably stick with oatmeal, pancakes or real eggs (which I carry in a Nalgene bottle and use the first morning out).

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

No Title

Robin, I know you said you don't dehydrate... though it is a valuable thing to do. Even without a dehydrator here is an easy item to dehydrate in an oven on warm. One of my favorite camping breakfasts is made with home dehydrated hash browns that I buy frozen in bricks in 20 packs. The potatoes rehydrate in a mug with a little boiling water in less than 5 minutes. Top with McCormicks Country Gravy. I add seasoned dehydrated ground beef (rehydrated separately), or real bacon bits, or some other kind of protein of choice.

Attachments

• photo2008.jpg
    photo2008.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2009.jpg
    photo2009.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2010.jpg
    photo2010.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 0
I've been using OvaEasy eggs for a few years now - I'm an egg-aholic. The OvaEasy are expensive but they are much, much better than the traditional powdered egg products. You'll find their measuring recomendations rather optimistic. If I want 4 eggs I mix for 6 by their proportions. I cook them with oil instead of reconstituted butter powder. I don't usually pack regular butter or margarine. OvaEasy eggs like low cooking temperatures. I carry bacon crumbles with me that I prepare just before the trip. Makes for great eggs and keeps the bears interested.

I do use powdered butter for other meal preps but I don't know what brand it is as I've re-packaged it. Gettin' low, too thus will need to re-supply. Should have noted the brand as I've liked the product.

Robin, I know you said you don't dehydrate... though it is a valuable thing to do. Even without a dehydrator here is an easy item to dehydrate in an oven on warm. One of my favorite camping breakfasts is made with home dehydrated hash browns that I buy frozen in bricks in 20 packs. The potatoes rehydrate in a mug with a little boiling water in less than 5 minutes. Top with McCormicks Country Gravy. I add seasoned dehydrated ground beef (rehydrated separately), or real bacon bits, or some other kind of protein of choice.

This sounds pretty tasty and I'd enjoy having a new breakfast dish in the repertoire.

Thanks.

We have had good luck using butter powder (a different brand) for sauces for pasta and gnocchi. The dried egg brand that we used did not look very pleasing but it turned out well in a baked egg dish and breakfast wrap.

I'm interested to see how you like the eggs. I'm planning to incorporate them into my summer travels, along with dehydrated potatoes, but haven't tried them yet.

Up to now my normal breakfast has been bannock, peanut butter, and honey....which I don't plan to give up completely.

Alan

I hadn't seen OvaEasy eggs before. I've used Honeyville powdered eggs for some years now and enjoy them. I'm on my second no. 10 can. The label says Ingredients: Eggs. That's all. So I imagine the only real difference between Honeyville and OvaEasy is the packaging, other than maybe the price. I'm too lazy to make a dollars-and-cents comparison. But I note that Honeyville carries OvaEasy in bulk.
http://shop.honeyville.com/products/freeze-dried-food-storage/dried-dairy/powdered-whole-eggs.html

Robin:
I was at a Costco in Winnipeg a couple weeks ago and picked up the same brand of hashbrowns you mentioned for taking on trips. The package had eight 4.2oz (119g) containers. It says each container is about 7 servings. I had to try them the other day before I go out. You just soak them in water and fry them up. They were so good I will probably have the opened container finished long before my first trip of the year.

I've heard real good things about the Ova easy eggs but can't find them in Canada anymore. They are suppose to be egg crystals not powder and apparently it makes a huge difference. My sister is in New Mexico this week and suppose to pick me up a supply of them at the REI. Like Holmes375 I need my eggs because for me oatmeal just doesn't cut it.

I have not tasted the butter but have also heard others say that brand is very good. All this food talk is making me hungry.

Perry

I had a bag of Ovaeasy eggs I used in my pancake mix. Used them once then there was a recall. Sounded more like a bureaucratic BS thing than an actual safety thing. After that MEC stopped carrying them and I can no longer get them in Canada that I know of.

One of the things I did for breakfast was bags of Quaker Harvest Crunch, with or without dried sliced strawberries, and a 1/4 cup of milk powder. I would vacuum seal the portion in a bag and just add water in there morning for some cold cereal. Quick and easy.

Odyssey: After the BS recall last year any powdered eggs are very difficult to find in Canada other then the packages like mountain house etc. Bauly's are not the Ova easy brand as I had checked into them. I have not tasted them but have been told that most powdered ones taste typically the same except the Ova easy brand. They say you can't taste the difference between it and a real egg. I've been told that once you taste them you could never eat any others especially the mixed ones like mountain house etc. Everyone south of the border use to sell them but after the recall last year there is very limited places that sell them. Hopefully my sister gets me some. Amazon.ca just started carrying powdered eggs a few weeks ago in the same brand as Robins butter. They carried them before but the shipping was more then the eggs cause they were coming straight from the manufacture. Now amazon is shipping them, so free shipping if you spend $25.

Robin, I forgot to mention with the hashbrowns it says to put in warm water and leave to soak for 12-15 minutes. The second "taste test" I tried adding boiled water and they absorbed it very fast and were ready to fry in half the time. There was no difference in quality or taste from the first test.

Perry

Any Canadian member who frequents the US for specialty food items could bring back some OvaEasy and then make a fortune selling it to the rest of us. They no longer sell it here, but is it restricted?

Some great reply's, like Canoeyak I might be finished with the hashbrowns before my first trip...ha. The real bacon bits, breakfast wrap all sound great. I really enjoy Idahoan mashed potatoe packs (just add some boiling water) and I'm going to try some of that Country Gravy on them, lots of good ideas
Thanks

Question: for real bacon bits do you dehydrate real bacon?

Minhun09
I've heard of others bringing it back with no problem, but if I get a call from my sister at the airport next weekend, I'll know its not okay.

Ah, breakfast, the meal I look forward to most, except for lunch and dinner.

For travel days: Granola with currants, dried blueberries, and either warm or cold milk.
The milk is a 50-50 mix: Carnation instant + Nido, which is powdered whole milk = 2%. Nido takes a while to rehydrate if cold, so I mix it up the night before.

For layover days: Scrambled eggs with rehydrated roma tomatoes, mushrooms, bacon bits (Bac-Os), and grated cheese, plus bannock.
Also a couple of dehydrated breakfasts from Backpackers Pantry.

I just take eggs. They last for a week or so in the summer and as long as you want in shoulder seasons. Leave em in the cartons, they are fine. I often plan steak as the first or second night supper and keep a bit for morning so we can have steak and eggs for breakfast. For potatoes I take....potatoes.

Not to fret though....I take dehydrated chili and stew packs that I make at home...they get used later in the trip or kept as backup. I take KD too which can make a surprisingly good breakfast. Some days it is just coffee and bagels.

I have been taking margarine in a small peanut butter jar and that seems to keep better than in its original container...no idea why.

Christy

Back