• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

Bow line advice needed

Most just purchase.. I have actually used it. I have two one from my whitewater days which is 100 feet of floating line and the other for Canadian requirements ( 50 feet)

I started looking at heaving lines/rescue bags, and was unaware of the vast variances available.

Length of line
Diameter of line
Lb. test of line
material of bag
throwing handle placement

Do any of you have a preference for someone with no experience with these systems?

In the courses we teach, ww level I though III, we outfit the canoes this way, at the bow, 25' of 3/8 floating line( I like the Dynema stuff) in the stern small throw bag with 25 to 35m of floating line of course and and both bow and stern line are secured to the deck under a bungie of large diameter for easy release. The reason for the throw bag at the stern, is most of the time the stern paddler is in charge of the boat. a throw bag is easy to grab compare to loose(coil) rope and easier to swim with, you also end up with more time to reach shore before the canoe start to pull on you!
The reason we don't put one in the bow, is that usually you use the bow line to secure the boat on shore, and rebuffing a throw bag is time consuming compare to coiling 25 feet of rope and placing it under the bungie!

In the courses we teach, ww level I though III, we outfit the canoes this way, at the bow, 25' of 3/8 floating line( I like the Dynema stuff) in the stern small throw bag with 25 to 35m of floating line of course and and both bow and stern line are secured to the deck under a bungie of large diameter for easy release. The reason for the throw bag at the stern, is most of the time the stern paddler is in charge of the boat. a throw bag is easy to grab compare to loose(coil) rope and easier to swim with, you also end up with more time to reach shore before the canoe start to pull on you!
The reason we don't put one in the bow, is that usually you use the bow line to secure the boat on shore, and rebuffing a throw bag is time consuming compare to coiling 25 feet of rope and placing it under the bungie!

Thanks Canotrouge, excellent points all around!
Mind sharing what size "large diameter bungie" you find works best?
If I'm going to do this, I might as well do it right the first time.

No Title

Thanks Canotrouge, excellent points all around!
Mind sharing what size "large diameter bungie" you find works best?
If I'm going to do this, I might as well do it right the first time.

So here I have a few picture of the system... First picture is to show how the bag is fixed, cord lock open all the way, but drawcord pulled close and placed under the bungie so it stays that way until you pull the bag out after a swim. Note also that the bag is fed into the bungie from the back so when you grab it and pull it won't get stuck.

I like a large diameter bungie, or 2 side by side of a smaller diameter but I would say 1/2" and up is good!

I drill the hull of the boat and not the decks, having the bungie go all over the deck makes for an easier retrieval of the bag(photo#2)

Hope it helps... If you have any other questions, fell free o ask!

Attachments

• photo5836.jpg
    photo5836.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo5837.jpg
    photo5837.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 0
  • photo5838.jpg
    photo5838.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo5839.jpg
    photo5839.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 0
Outstanding explanation Canotrouge, with great pictures clearly deserves a huge THANK YOU!
I hope your daughter realizes how fortunate an upbringing she is living.
I'm assuming that this setup is rigged primarily for self rescue, after an unplanned exiting of the canoe. Grab the rope loop off the stern while in the water concept. Do you also have a trailing line in the water off the stern as well? And is the bag available to the stern paddler to throw as needed?

Last edited:
Outstanding explanation Canotrouge, with great pictures clearly deserves a huge THANK YOU!
I hope your daughter realizes how fortunate an upbringing she is living.
I'm assuming that this setup is rigged primarily for self rescue, after an unplanned exiting of the canoe. Grab the rope loop off the stern while in the water concept. Do you also have a trailing line in the water off the stern as well? And is the bag available to the stern paddler to throw as needed?

It is for self rescue. No trailing line, keep all line at all time secure, loose lines are a entrapment hazard, have a really sharp knife that is dedicated only for rescue purpose, not to slice the salami and the cheese lol... The bag is available, but not readily, I always wear a rescue belt throw bag combo on my self at all time and alway have an large 3/8 Dynema/spectra throw bag in the boat for long reach or for boat recovery!
I always strongly encourage people to take a swift water rescue cours, even if you don't plan on doing lots of ww, it makes you understand the strength of water and being able to identify the danger and the safe place on the river and its shore line!!

Thanks to all who helped me rethink the simple bowline.

I realize that any cordage will function, but when the world of synthetic fibers collides with a wealth of experience and knowledge from you folks, it has been definitely worth asking the question.

I have never paddled with a throw bag onboard, but now aware, I plan on acquiring two, one for throwing, and one on the stern for self rescue.

Back