• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Boat registration for NE states?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm planning a trip to the NE in July and August. I'm thinking about taking a little folding kayak with me, but am curious about whether I need to register my boat? I have reservations at a campground on Lake Sarnac (Saranac?) and hope to be able to paddle in some little back bay of Lake Champlain (which I also don't know how to spell), on the VT side. I might also be near something to paddle on in MA or NH. Can anyone tell me if I need to register my boat to paddle in those states? If I have to register in too many places I might as well rent a boat when I get there. Mostly, I just want to get in the boat and float and bob and drink coffee and float and bob some more. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Pringles

Nope. No need to register unless you have a putt putt.

That goes for Maine, NH, VT, MA, CT, RI and NY.

You must be going to Saranac Lake Islands. That lake is good for a couple of days exploring and don't forget to lock through and go to Middle Saranac Lake and Weller Pond.

As far as Champlain goes, Valcour Island is by far the best but is on the NY side

http://www.lakegeorgekayak.com/articles_bali_hai.html

Umbagog has the best wild paddling in NH.

There will be a bunch of crazy canoeists at Ray Brook July 7-13 for the Adirondack Canoe Symposium. The Wooden Canoe Heritage Assembly is the same week..think it starts the 9th of July to the 13th. Both are near Saranac Lake.

Last edited:
Pringles, If your near NW Connecticut, let me know, I'll bring a couple of wood/canvas canoes for a paddle with ya, and we have a really neat old New England award winning Library in town too.
You must be going to Saranac Lake Islands. That lake is good for a couple of days exploring and don't forget to lock through and go to Middle Saranac Lake and Weller Pond.

Saranac is a nice area. I went through that lock, it was fun pretending I was on the Panama Canal lifting my barge for a trip to the west coast. Then some guy in a jet ski showed up, he didn't like it cause I left the lock the wrong way for him...boo hoo, pour jet ski guy;)

Then later, I was fishing and some guys in real fast solo canoes passed by....all dressed in modern "correct" real fast paddlers garb, just about every color you could imagine. One motioned towards me and mentioned "looks like an LLBean catalog"...
Of course I probably did, wood canvas, suspenders, plaid shirt, black lab up front. I would have replied but they went buy so fast they where out of ear shout before I could...haha, kids.

Too funny, Robin. We should all aspire to that look!!! When modern "correct" real fast paddlers garb looks just like modern "correct" real fast bicycler's garb, they can keep it.

Too funny, Robin. We should all aspire to that look!!! When modern "correct" real fast paddlers garb looks just like modern "correct" real fast bicycler's garb, they can keep it.

It's not about the cover..it's what's underneath. Personally I wouldn't trust anyone in new LLBean gear. Stan Keach's bluegrass song" Boots from LL Bean" is hysterical!

Now when your boots are broken in and there's a few holes in your wool shirt..that means its used. My modern paddling clothing is..well used and frankly not fit for a walk down the street.

http://bluegrasstoday.com/cry-of-the-loon-other-original-songs-about-maine/

Maybe it is about the cover... People poke fun at Tilley hats because in some areas those are fashion statements in the city and never been on a camping trip.

Mine is ...well ..disgusting.

Heh, it's funny. My bike gear is all lycra and spandex, and my canoe stuff is all waxed canvas &c. Though I do wear the same wool socks for both endeavors. I want to go fast* on my bike; I want to cruise on the water.

* Well, I am fat and slow, so fast is relative. Though I do nicely downhill.

Thank you Robin, I'll keep that in mind. I'll have to take a look at the map. I have a plan and a schedule, but it's on paper, not in my brain just yet. :) Pringles

Thank you Robin, I'll keep that in mind. I'll have to take a look at the map. I have a plan and a schedule, but it's on paper, not in my brain just yet. :) Pringles

Got the Paddler's Map? There is lots of exploring to do.

http://www.canoeoutfitters.com/store/maps-guidebooks/adirondack-paddlers-map

Its not a necessity though. I would recommend stopping by St Regis Canoe Outfitters in Saranac Lake.. They have some other maps that are cheaper and not quite as extensive. Very nice paddling shop. As a matter there are some suggested routes here.

http://www.canoeoutfitters.com/trip-planning/routes

Thank you again, Yellow Canoe. I should clarify, I'm visiting the NE for about 3 weeks, but I'll be car camping, not backcountry camping. I will get an opportunity to visit NY city (on a day tour), and Boston (on a day tour), and a bunch of national historic sites and I'm scheduled to go whale watching. :) I also hope to do some day hiking on then Appalachian Trail, and after bugging off the trail in NY a few years ago, I came upon the Adirondacks and decided I wanted to go back and spend a bit of time there with a boat. Don't feel bad for me that I'm going to visit "the big city," I live less than an hour from three of the great lakes, and within a couple of hours of both a Canadian and US area with backcountry backpacking and canoeing. I just want to seeeeeee the "big city" once, then I go home to fresh air and clean water. And, unfortunately at this monument, snow. It should be gone by then, I hope. :rolleyes:

Never assumed you would be backcountry camping...though you won't be car camping at Saranac Lake Islands, if that is in fact where you are camping. The links above have suggested day trips.

The campground is big.. And its not on any of the Saranac Lakes. That's what confused me..there is no car campground on SL. But there are a bunch of lovely loops you can make between ponds with short portages. Upper Saranac is not real paddler friendly. Its wide open..and motorboated.

Here is a link to more routes. The campground is on Square Pond and surrounds it. Most likely I will be doing a day trip in the area on Wed. July 10 in between commitments to the Adirondack Canoe Symposium and the WCHA Assembly.

http://fishcreekpond.com/canoeing.php

Last edited:
The campground is big.. And its not on any of the Saranac Lakes. That's what confused me..there is no car campground on SL.
Just to be clear, Upper Saranac Lake is easily accessible from the Fish Creek Ponds campground.
Paddle under the Rte 30 bridge on the eastern end of FCP, and stay to the right. A marked channel will take you to the NW side of USL. Day 3 of the 90-miler begins at FCP campground and goes this way, paddles a-blazin'.

Back