• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Blue Barrel Gasket Fix

G

The legendary, now non-stinky, 38L barrel still leaks, maybe a bit worse after vinegar/K.O.E/peroxide mix soaking and scrubbing the pervasive stank off the gasket.

The solution was adding a second thin gasket, laid under the original. We had previously discovered that the gaskets from 2.5 gallon lab chemical buckets fit a leaky 30L perfectly and, used in conjunction with the OEM gasket, stopped the leak on a 30L. The 38L lid is essentially the same size

Those 2.5 and 5 gallon \_/ shaped lab buckets, while 100% leak proof, kinda sucked for in-canoe storage; the shape was all wrong. And rodentia critters found the raised lip on the lid temptingly nibbleable.

P8130007 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Fortuitously those 2.5 G lab buckets have different style gaskets, from thin black O-rings to thick white foam.

P8130009 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

A little trial and error and the thin O-ring, seated under the OEM gasket, proved perfect, providing just enough heft to raise the original gasket and form a waterproof seal, and the barrel re-tested leak proof. I needed to stick a couple tiny dabs of E-6000 adhesive under the gaskets to keep the them from falling out.

I checked size of the gaskets on 5-gallon lab buckets vs the gasket on a 60L barrel, the 5G lab bucket gasket is a wee bit smaller, but maybe rubber stretchy enough.

But, sans any bucket gaskets to salvage, a circle of window screen spline laid underneath would do the same.

With barrel leakage seemingly caused by gasket compression I no longer leave the lid and snap ring locked in place at home. I just snap the ring around the barrel rim, so the ring can’t be bent or damaged in storage, and set the lid resting loose on top. That has been enough to keep mice or insects out of the barrel while in home storage.

Gasket wizardry is good to know. Mine are fine but I'll try to remember this thread just in case. It so happens I leave my lids loose in storage but for another reason. I just hate operating the lock fastener unnecessarily. So I guess I'm treating my gear right accidentally? Score.
But at the same time I've been unpacking stuff this past week and was going to pull my 30L barrel out of my favourite canvas Woods pack and the old old leather strap would not slip free of the old old buckle. Giving it a tug I snapped the leather! Frig! That was my favourite pack. And it worked really well as my "barrel harness". Spacious enough for extra items slipped down beside the barrel. As much as I am not fond of barrels I am using them more and more. Good know how to fix them. Thanks Mike.

Back