• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Bloodvein System

There is a new year round road to Bloodvein Village near Lake Winepeg that may not be on your maps. Nice for egress but made the river pretty busy.

I get custom maps from mytopo.com. Not expensive and you get to choose your coverage area and scale. Makes for fewer maps and they're water proof.

Alan

For my Bloodvein trip I use Hap Wilson's "Wilderness Rivers of Manitoba" to transfer rapid classifications over to my maps. You could do the same for portages and campsites but neither are hard to find.

Alan

You can download free top maps to your phone for offline use from Avenza, and to your computer with their map viewer if you're using Windows 10. To make paper copies from PCs, use the snipping tool in Win 10. There are probably many other map sources, including Canada Top Maps (great selection of maps) for offline use on phones and the federal top maps online (which is more complex to access).

For the real thing, you're going to have to pay something like $20 per top map but that might have changed. Emailing copies to a print shop could probably save piles of $$$.

(...or print them yourself, of course... me, I'm sort of paperless these days, no printer.)

Last edited:
For the real thing, you're going to have to pay something like $20 per top map but that might have changed. Emailing copies to a print shop could probably save piles of $$$.

Mytopo maps are $15 each for a 24x36" waterproof map. I think it took 4 of them for the entire Bloodvein starting at Artery Lake using 1:50000 scale. I used the Chrismar for when I started inside WCPP.

Alan

Well, I still haven’t found my copy of Hap’s book. It’s infuriating. I’ve looked everywhere except where it’s at. I’m expecting foul play. My wife is the prime suspect. She hates when I blame her for moving my crap, so I must proceed cautiously. Now I ask myself, “where would she put my book?”

Back