• Happy National Nurses Day! 🛌👩‍⚕💉💊🎉

Birchbark canoe building video

Reaction score
central NYS - 10 miles from the Baseball Hall of F
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFSjKRnUzVo

Hey all -

My guess is that some of you have seen this but for those who haven't yet, I stumbled upon this video today. I've seen a lot of birchbark canoe building videos over the years but this one seems to be one of the best. The photography is clear, the audio clean and the presentation is well done. I highly recommend you give it a try. A word of warning though...it takes about an hour to see it all; although it is kind of broken up in chapters as they show you each day's work.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Thanks for sharing. That was fantastic! Really fun to watch.

Except for the end where he paddled it with an aluminum and plastic paddle....WTF?

Alan

I've watched that one a couple of times now. It makes me want to go out and collect all the materials. On my trips this summer I saw a few nice down cedar trees and wished I had the right hand tools with me to make some ribs and sheathing. Alan, I never noticed the plastic paddle at the end, funny

Mark

That was the best hour I've spent today !

Thanks for Sharing Snapper !

Jim

Glad folks enjoyed the film. One of the few benefits of the students being gone is I can explore the internet and stumble across films such as this one. I also agree with Alan's comment about the paddle used at the end of the video. It just wasn't appropriate for a boat of that caliber.

Until next time...be well.

snapper

I enjoyed it also, thanks for posting it. I was dissappointed in his choice of a paddle too. I guess the guy is a scientist and a woodworker and not a canoeist, but I think that paddle would have offended the woodworker in him.

YC, was or is that boat in your photo your's?

Back