• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Bigger water boats

Many marathon stock boat racers paddle the Minn II. Very similar is the Grasse River Monarch in graphite. The Monarch is said to be a little more maneuverable as well as slightly faster. Both are very stable 18.5' trippers and both do well in races. I've paddled both but under different conditions so I can't say which I like better - but I do very much like them both. Wenonah makes the same Monarch model as well, in kevlar, but it is not in their catalog, being available only through outfitters, such as from macscanoe.com. That's the one I own, and my daughter has the Minn II.

The photo below is of a somewhat larger GRB woodstrip voyageur canoe negotiating a short section of rapids on the Yukon. In rapids or heavy wind blown rolling waves, even this big guy tends to float up over waves instead of plowing through. Note that the #1 and #2 paddlers are sometimes paddling air, sometimes are submerged on the downdrop. Thank goodness for the spray cover. But this boat is probably more than what you were looking for.
95AMLRE.jpg

I probably shouldn't give up my cards yet, but I'm going to check with St Regis Outfitters and see if they have a Minn II to sell at the end of the season. I'd like to try one on a big lake first, so maybe I'll rent one and try it out on the Long Lake or Cranberry or the like.

The Minn II is nice because of the weight, but I'm not dead set on a UL - for the ADKs a cart could be used between the big lakes.

They also rent Quetico 18.5's but I get the feeling that's more of a family tripper than a speed boat.

Mike,

You should try out that Sawyer...you may be surprised!!
And should you ever want to build your own, I have CAD drawings for a 17 footer of my own design, it is fast, seaworthy, tracks well and is good on any water.
You can have the drawings if you want them. It is an excellent all around hull.

I talked to Dave about that Sawyer, he said it probably wouldn't fit the bill for me. A bit too short and bit low in the sides.

As much as I'd love to have a strip canoe, it isn't going to happen in my garage. The current state is what I'll call 'crowded'...

As much as I'd like to move to a bigger house with a bigger garage, I think my future plan is to buy some land in the ADKs and put up a primitive (heat, water, shelter) ski cabin - we'd really like a winter residence in the park some day.

Thanks to Yukontraveler for the cool pics. The Sawyer 222 has always seemed like a great boat.
I have only been to the BWCA once back in 1985. Right after Moose L and customs we hit Basswood L blowing 25-30 mph. We were young and in shape and it was all we could do to make any headway at all in our rental aluminum boats.
The Canadians and Alaskans have perfected rough weather canoeing paddling in the salt water a long way from shore.
Lake Superior is another place with people that know about big water.
Around here it is Lake Tahoe and Pyramid Lake, NV that teach people how to surf and handle big waves. It is the one place that a sea kayak has some advantages, when the waves are big enough to wash over the deck and a spray skirt.
Paddling Puget Sound in the San Juan Islands is another training ground for big water with barge traffic, state ferries and tidal rips that grow to 3 1/2 feet from out of nowhere.

No Title

Interesting thread. Big water does require big boats, good covers, foot braces and rudders and the sense to stay on shore. Many of the situations we come across on Isle Royale are visitors without enough time to wait out weather. Pressed up against work deadlines and ferry schedules many decide to travel when they should be resting and reading. Or you could have some redundency like my friends pictured below

Attachments

• photo1257.jpg
    photo1257.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 0
Back