• Happy Sea Serpent Day!

Best "tea bag" coffee?

Reaction score
I have stubbornly insisted on making coffee from grounds using a press when camping. But I am getting tired of the nuisance of cleaning out the press and having to carry the messy grounds with me if I am not base camping. So I am going to give the ground coffee that comes in tea bags a chance, especially on down river trips or mornings where time is pressing.

For those who have gone this route, do you have a favorite brand or brands? It would have to be at least approximately as good as coffee pressed or dripped through fresh ground coffee.

Reaction score
1648216570363.png

I have tried a couple of different pour over types vs tea bag types. Haven't found one I really like but I found just the bags for sale so I'm going to try that with my own choice of coffee. I also use a Stanley french press thermos often.

Reaction score
I always grind beans just before my trips and fill these cheap bags on Amazon- no issues. I typically use this style of brewing when on a paddling break or if I'm trying to get going early. It does make clean up easy. My advice is to try it a few times at home to see how much per bag and what grind works best for you. My first ones were way too weak.

1648219386863.png
https://www.amazon.com/Disposable-D...9KPKWFC/ref=pd_lpo_3?pd_rd_i=B079KPKWFC&psc=1

Reaction score
I fill my own bags like C&B does but I buy the bags locally as there are a few tea shops nearby that sell them.

I use a percolator where I am allowed fires (uses too much gas to simmer on the pocket rocket) and toss in 2 bags per pot.

I use the bags so I don't have to deal with disposing of coffee grounds... It's much easier to pack them out than loose grounds. I have to wonder if the bags wouldn't work similarly in your press to make clean up & disposal less irksome.

Reaction score
I always grind beans just before my trips and fill these cheap bags on Amazon- no issues. I typically use this style of brewing when on a paddling break or if I'm trying to get going early. It does make clean up easy. My advice is to try it a few times at home to see how much per bag and what grind works best for you. My first ones were way too weak.

View attachment 130070
https://www.amazon.com/Disposable-D...9KPKWFC/ref=pd_lpo_3?pd_rd_i=B079KPKWFC&psc=1
I had not been aware of those DIY tea bags. I will probably give them a try. What size would you recommend to brew a large mug (10-12 fluid ounces) of coffee? Is the draw string closure pretty effective at retaining all of the grounds?

Reaction score
I had not been aware of those DIY tea bags. I will probably give them a try. What size would you recommend to brew a large mug (10-12 fluid ounces) of coffee? Is the draw string closure pretty effective at retaining all of the grounds?
I’m probably not the best judge as I like it pretty strong. I buy the 6x8cm bags and fill them full. I use two to brew double what you mentioned- I have a coffee issue… No problem with the string ties with a couple overhand knots.