• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Best burger and pizza joints near where you live

The Klondike Rib and Salmon BBQ in Whitehorse. Caribou, elk and moose burgers, occasionally boar and musk ox too. And the best halibut ever. Desserts to die for. Next Week I'm driving there 3500 miles from the Adirondacks to paddle the Yukon River Quest canoe race. Hoping to find some good eats all along the way.
https://www.klondikerib.com

Good place indeed. But unfortunately only in the summer and mainly for the tourists( It is always full and long waiting time) as soon as tourist season is over close they are!!

I was not impressed with my meal at the Mexican restaurant in WH. True enough about the crowds and very long line to get a table at the Klondike Rib, but well worth the wait.

I was not impressed with my meal at the Mexican restaurant in WH. True enough about the crowds and very long line to get a table at the Klondike Rib, but well worth the wait.

There use to be 2 mexican restaurant in WHSE, Lucky us one closed a few years back. It was on main street and use to be called Salmonellas.... Sanchez is good quality food, all made from scratch but don't be in a rush when you sit down cause you won't know when you will be served!!

I don't remember which Mexican restaurant I was at. I'll be sure to try Sanchez in about 2 weeks from today.

Last edited:
Anywhere in the Raleigh, North Carolina region you should be able to find a Five Guys Burgers nearby. Secret tip: ask for "extra bacon" on any burger that says it comes with bacon. They PILE ON the bacon and don't charge you anything extra.

Pizza: Peri Bros Pizza in north Raleigh, on Six Forks Rd. This is the good stuff, like what I used to get back in Philadelphia and New York City. The owners are transplants from upstate New York. Save extra room for homemade dessert, like cheesecake or tiramisu. They've been dog-friendly if I don't mind sitting outside. And when the weather is nice, their patio is indeed a fine place to sit.

There is no good pizza place within reasonable driving distance. There is not even a halfway decent pizza place. There are probably a half dozen pizza shops within a 30 minute drive (ie an hour roundtrip; no ), all of them equally bad. So bad that Pizza Hut and Dominos are at the head of the class. Yes, that bad.

Same for Chinese carry-out, and I rather eat bad pizza than bad Chinese. There is a good local sub shop, if you don’t mind paying $12 for a foot long cheese steak. Their fries suck though.

Burger’s are another matter. The Roseda Black Angus Farm is but a few miles away. That’s prime local beef, so locally preferred and fresh to table that most café or bar burgers hereabouts are Roseda.

http://roseda.com/

The best of those burgers may be had on Friday nights in the fall, when the local high school football team plays home games. The school is famous for their football (and lacrosse) teams, the Bulls. They are also famous for their cowbell ringing supporters, who often outnumber the home team crowd at away games (and are renown as “an older and more knowledgeable crowd”; folks continue going to games for decades after their kids have graduated)

But they are even more famous for their burgers. Fresh Angus beef, supplied at cost, made to order on a giant barbecue pit by volunteer chef dads who take great pride in their handiwork. Visitors don’t come to see their team get whupped, they come for the burgers.

I just drooled a little.

Five Guys is everywhere.. Its pretty close to us.. 40 miles. Its becoming ubiquitous in every population center. Its just OK.. The peanuts are good though.

There are not a lot of options outside of Winnipeg for anything special. Our go to has been the Chester fried chicken at Pine Falls on the way home. Sort of a tradition with us. After 8 years the staff know us now when we walk in the door.

Our other recurring theme is pizza in Dryden...lol. Beer, pizza, and a ball game on tv seems to have become our standard there. I always stop at the chip truck in Vemillion Bay though.

Christine

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/experience/.../old-forge...pizza/97592600/ Sometimes we overlook the obvious. My lake house in Pa. is 25 minutes from the pizza capital of the world. In fact the previous owner of my cottage was the owner of my wife's and my favorite pizza place. Cebula's Pizza, they call it Polish pizza, it's made with potato dough, unlike anything you've ever had. So if you're ever traveling interstate 81 between Scranton and Wilkes Barre try any of the places in Old Forge or check out Cebula's in Dupont.

In the little twin cities of St Joseph and Benton Harbor in SW Michigan there is a great hole-in-the-wall burger place called North Shore Inn just outside of Benton Harbor (and right on the Paw Paw river) plus people like Silver Beach pizza right on Silver Beach with a view of Lake Michigan. Both the St Joseph and Paw Paw rivers offer nice paddling.

We can't always rely on a happy ending. Sometimes we just have to make do. On our recent Sunday paddle in a small town I'd wanted to amble on down the street to a cute little bakery we knew for a coffee and pastry... except it was closed. It was a holiday Sunday after-all. It seems that town really do roll up the sidewalks late Saturday night. Sandwich shop - closed. Liquor store - closed. Soup & sandwich diner - closed. Even the Chinese- Canadian Food Restaurant was closed. (Chinese- Canadian Food Restaurants are in every Canadian small town.( https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...ticle30539419/ ) ( https://ca.news.yahoo.com/the-unique...174945208.html ) So by the time we had our picnic hours later I was ravenously hungry. One sandwich, one pickle and one handful of grapes didn't quite do it for me, but we made do. We did have a litre of wine to dull the disappointment.
Last week after a particularly hard day at work I offered to treat my working buddy to a beer and burger at my "favourite place". When our burgers arrived I immediately sensed something was wrong. Where was once a hand made beef patty nicely charbroiled between two toasted buns was now a warmed over previously frozen mystery meat puck laying limp between two stale buns. What happened to "my favourite place" serving great burgers? I made do with the cold beer and fries. I'm on the hunt for another favourite burger place.
Last winter I read about a local landmark. It seemed Maria, of Maria's Pizza fame was hanging up the apron and passing the family pizzeria on to the next family generation. It was a lovely story all about a couple newly arrived to our shores in the 50s working hard and finding success, one pizza pie at a time. I swore I would stop by someday soon to try a famous slice of Margherita. But with my poor memory and love of making my own at home I forgot to visit Maria's. This past June on my way home from work I was made to detour around a particular city block. Fire trucks and work crews were sifting through the blackened remains of a burnt out brick shell of a local landmark. Thankfully no-one was injured or killed in the early morning blaze. But I'll never get to visit Maria's now. I guess I'll just have to make do.

Last edited:
That is something I miss about Southern Ontario Brad. All the little towns you can go to for a road trip. We used to make the rounds of Queenston, NOTL, Fort Erie, Crystal Beach etc. The Reeb House in Humberstone was great but alas it burned also. Out here everything is so far apart and most of the towns are not well supplied with restaurants .
Of course there is always tailgating, especially in the fall. Spark up the Coleman and rustle up some good eats.

Back