• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Beardmore Canoe Race

Reaction score
Beardmore is a small town 80 k west of where I live. I had been told that there used to be canoe races there, but I thought they just meant a bunch of locals getting together. Someone posted this video on youtube from 1967, I was obviously wrong. Verlin Kruger won the race. The boats and paddles look pretty high tech as well.

Thanks for posting that. My first canoe race of the season is a downriver race next weekend. The video reminds me of pictures and stories of when my dad used to race in the late 60's and 70's. He would sometimes find himself without a partner and I would be his bowman. But I was only three or so. I'm told I would paddle hard for as much as 5 minutes and then fall into a nap on the floor. Dad would scoop me up and run across the portages with the canoe overhead.

Cheers,
Barry

I love that video memequay, thanks for posting it. What I love about the film is the vintage record of a little town. Seeing the smile on the face of the bowman racing across the carry is priceless, and pretty well sums up the feel of the film. And how many home movies have some kid (me, you, or the kid next door) bicycling around the festivities? I'm glad the camera caught the town parade, complete with pipers! The same video poster seems to have recorded several 1967 canoe races, so I'll take a trip down someone's memory lane and visit these other places and races.

Back