• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Bear Attack?

Brad...just leave some of your diablo bannock out for the bear. One taste of that stuff and the hot peppers will send it scrambling for some water.

Christy

Brad...just leave some of your diablo bannock out for the bear. One taste of that stuff and the hot peppers will send it scrambling for some water.

Christy

Or worse. I once threw a lot of hot and spicy leftovers away, in a garbage bag in a garbage can in our old drive shed. Raccoons raided the place and gorged themselves on all the leftovers. (The little buggers can open anything.) Yes, they ate the whole thang. Raccoons being the arseholes of the urban animal world that they are, spent the rest of the night spewing the inside of the barn by pointing their furry backsides and playing target practice. Walls, check. Windows, check. Rafters, missed, try again, check. Work bench, check. Tools...I'm pretty sure it was no accident; just their funny way of telling me to work harder towards a Michelin Star and back off on the hot sauce (in so many words). I'd be crazy to mess with bears.

Around bears and other wildlife you mostly need to use common sense. The problem is many humans no longer have or rely on common sense.

Bears aren't out there to eat humans. There are exceptions of blood thirsty animals that often became blood thirsty because of a human influence.

I think wildlife problems are mostly the result of the lack of understanding of nature by humans. Wildlife is mostly a part of nature and not humanity. Humans who were once a part of, close to and survived from nature have exponentially have become separate from nature because civilizations and society increasing has rejected the natural world. More and more humans essentially have been separated and don't have anything to do with nature. To survive within modern humanity touching the ground is no longer required. Modern humanity allows humans to live in homes some with a garage, surrounded mostly by asphalt and cement, go to work and provide for a family without ever touching the ground. We no longer live within societies that promote self sufficiency. As an example approx. a hundred years ago approx. ~95 +/- percent of the US population was self sufficient. Today only approx. ~5 percent of the US population had some sort of self sufficiency, with around 95 percent with almost none.

Without any sort of connection to the natural world, most humans no longer understand wildlife and the wilderness or have forgotten. What modern understanding we do have most often come from books, written materials from the government, scientists, businesses, etc. where some aspect of the wilderness and/or wildlife has to to with their survival as a business or institution.

Some current understanding comes from personal and empirical experiences when camping, hiking, canoeing, hunting & fishing (much of which is for sport and not subsistence), etc. however most people only spend a faction of their time in the wilderness, much of which isn't actual survival. Actual survival would encompass having no food and clothing, no modern weapons, only the bare essentials provided by the wilderness.

There are more and more areas where modern human civilization has encroached, sometime taken over wilderness areas. Which creates sort of a hybrid areas comprised of both human and wildlife. However many of these areas which at one time were rural and isolated from mainstream society have become urban and suburban, which for the most part rejects and/or exploits nature. Exploitation of nature is sometimes good for humans but often nullifies and/or destroys nature in order to maintain humanity, which many don't feel nature is a part of. People are taught this from an early age, out there nature isn't part of your life as a human.

For the most part, locally and worldwide I think most humans have lost touch with nature. Much of the human survival instincts have been replaced with modern inventions and tools provided by humanity. This includes many tribes, villages rural areas worldwide, indigenous people are also loosing touch with nature often relying on the modern world to survive.
_______

When you come across a bear in the woods. The bear looking at you from a perspective that includes thousands of years of ancestry from wildernesses thousands of years old. You as a human are looking at the bear from another perspective, as part of humanity controlled by modern civilization that has rejected the natural world. Modern society and civilizations have only accepted remnants of past wildlife and wilderness that essentially are less than a hundred years old.

An example is the green belt that exists between SE Alaska and Northern California. This section of land has changed drastically between the last ~50 and ~100+ years. Around a hundred years ago the average age of this forested wilderness area (some refer to as the green belt) is estimated to have been around 750 years. Today most of this green belt is less than a hundred years old, most being new growth Douglas Fir. Which at one time grew not as a dominant species among eight major trees species.

Remnants of the old forest still exists in a few National Parks and a few in the National Forests. It may be difficult for some to realize how a common wilderness forest once survived and existed. How a wilderness would protect all life forms using different rules of nature. These rules and awareness of nature that once existed have seemed to have been forgotten by humans.

Society and civilizations no longer accepts nature as part of human survival. Civilized society mostly destroys nature for survival. This destruction has lead to many problem including creating environments and situations that potentially lead to human extinction. Partially because they have rejected nature and rules that help to maintain nature.

Nature dating back thousands to millions of years is a significant part of the Universe when compared to the history of human civilizations. On a universal level humans have a very long road ahead, need to re-think many things where much of their thinking is based on the past when human populations were 2 billion and less worldwide, were controlled by totally different governments and entities.

The re-thinking needs to be more drastic, most of the thinking and rethinking going on today is really light hearted, often only helps special interests groups and has become more a part of corporate reasoning than actual human thought.

I do try to follow basic human reasoning while in the forests and wildernesses. I also try to think more like an animal that's surviving in nature. Wild animals don't have an automobile to move around, are without a home with kitchen, bath, tools, etc.

Animals both wild and domesticated do have understanding and reasoning. They have aesthetics and understanding of aesthetics. When wildlife (wild animal) is looking for a place to nest if possible they aesthetically choose the best location based an natural necessities. e.g. A bird has two places to choose from where to nest with approx. the same protection and access to food, more often than not the bird will choose the spot that's more aesthetically pleasing.

Most wildlife and even domesticated animals don't want to build a nest and live in areas that have be destroyed and poorly effected by humans and humanity if possible. Much is aesthetically displeasing for animals.

I see animals all the time in forests looking perplex, if you look close enough you can see them thinking "you got to be kidding" "nest and live in that total unnatural area created by humans".

If living in these unnatural areas created by humans their most often very distress, have problems rearing their young, finding food, etc.

Last edited:
Bear spray in the snout. Bangers to chase him. An axe and a knife as a last resort.
I would pack up my camp and move. Throw everything in the canoe and go. If he is really pesky. Then maybe take off and comeback later for the outfit.
I have had a sow sniff me through the mosquito netting at a range of 18 inches while her cubs watched. I have had visits from 4 different bears while we were awake with a big fire. Plenty of incidents where the dogs have chased bears out of camp. My big BC is the first line of defense. Nothing and no one sneaks up on me.

Once in awhile a bear zips open a tent and comes in without knocking. Those bears get shot.

Ha bears.... we live in big bears country up here and lots of bears and really close, we live in town but in the great belt where if you take a walk from the back gate you can walk for ever without crossing path with any other human being or city or villages for thousands of km!! We have bears every where and really little incident lots of encounters but they mostly end the same way, bear goes away and human go away in different directions end of the story...

As for death by bear they are really rare and usually there is a reason for the bear to kill some one, like that one that killed our friend and her daughter last year on there trap line, the bear had tried to eat a porcupine and ended up with thousands of quills in its esophagus and stomach, got really skinny and desperate for food and the tragic incident happened, gun no gun, bear spray no bear spray, nothing would have changed the ending, the attack was from less than 10 feet away!!
A guy i know carries a 40S&W on trips for bear protection... I laughed at him... minimum 44 mag if you do and even better 12 gauge or heavy rifle!! Bear spray is all you really need 90% of the time!
After 23 years or so up here and spending lots of time in the bush I never had to use my bear spray and or a fire arm on a bear yet!!

HI Canotrouge,
Do you eat bear? It is kind of the ultimate revenge. After one trip to salmon rivers and streams of SE Alaska as a hydrologist, I carried a rifle. Being around them all the time really helps to understand their habits and how they think. I get really tired of all the gun talk.

My cousin was walking his dog outside of Anchorage, got charged and killed the bear. Happens sometimes. Best to avoid them as much as possible.

I have never been places with white bears. They are the scariest of all.

Hey ppine, I do eat bear, black or grizz all good!! That said I don’t hunt for them but always have my tags!!

Back