• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Bear Attack?

That this happened in New Jersey was not a surprise to me not at all.. Until 1983( when the Mianus River Bridge in CT decided to dump) we lived in NJ in the neighborhood of the attack. Bears came and went through the yard. Sure they were probably habituated.. back then everyone had metal cans and the clang on Sunday nights announced the weekly bruin rounds of the just put out trash cans..

I have a friend that still lives there.. and she says the bears are out all night now there every night. My husband hit a 350 lb bruin in New Jersey in 2010. $9000 damage to my new car...and a mortally wounded but not dead bear..about five miles from the latest incident.

I remember the nut crop ( black walnuts , oaks) and it was usually massive. I got to rake the results into the woods.

I think if you get too many neighbors too, you might get testy. There has been lots of development.. Whats a poor bruin to do?

Wild black bears usually are less than 300 pounds even in places like coastal Alaska with salmon runs, berries and mild winters. Females are often under 200 pounds. The common scenario is that neighborhood bears get habituated to humans, find garbage and get big. Some of them get names and people actually feed them. Then they lose their fear of humans and get trapped and put some place more remote where they can't get into trouble. We have problem Lake Tahoe bears in the 600 pound range that are trapped and let loose behind my house.

The best bear habitat in the West is the wet country in Oregon, no Calif, Washington, and BC. The density of wild bears is very high, but none of them ever approach 700-800 pounds without human assistance. The Barren Ground grizzlies in the interior of Alaska rarely reach that size. Only the coastal salmon eating brown bears get that big in the wild.(Ursus arctos) Local folklore may talk about acorns, berries, and rare genetic strains, but it is unlikely that any of that stuff is based on reality.

Last edited:
Just back from a week solo, the thought of bear attacks came to mind. It seems nobody ever knows why a bear goes from being scared crapless by it's own shadow to a stalking killer. Then the flying squirrel told me one day when I watched him eat a mushroom, bears eat anything, we've all seem them dump bears with dirty diapers hanging out of their mouths, the bears ate mushrooms. And we know that not all mushrooms are created equal so to speak. So it is now my theory that a bear attack is the direct result of the bear on a bad trip. Yeah, I know, a week alone with your own thoughts leads you down some strange roads.

Just back from a week solo, the thought of bear attacks came to mind. It seems nobody ever knows why a bear goes from being scared crapless by it's own shadow to a stalking killer. Then the flying squirrel told me one day when I watched him eat a mushroom, bears eat anything, we've all seem them dump bears with dirty diapers hanging out of their mouths, the bears ate mushrooms. And we know that not all mushrooms are created equal so to speak. So it is now my theory that a bear attack is the direct result of the bear on a bad trip. Yeah, I know, a week alone with your own thoughts leads you down some strange roads.

Too much Phish too I'd bet.

Well Red, at first read your idea about the mushrooms seems a little strange but at second thought, there's no reason that something found in the natural world couldn't have had that effect. Wonder if anybody ever looked at bear attacks against the time of year? You know, when such and such a mushroom was available. Probably not enough data to do a cross check like that. And too, if a bear ate a "cranky mushroom" and didn't run into anybody the whole episode would go unremarked.
Actually, I often feel like biting somebody even without the mushrooms.

Rob

Predatory black bears show up consistently although they are uncommon. The incidents primarily involve boars, often young ones or old ones that turn to humans by default when other food sources do not present themselves. A recent incident involved my neighbor a timber framer, working at Lake Tahoe. He was on a rural site near the water with 8 different bears regularly going past the property. They gave names to several of them. One day a new bear showed up with ragged blondish fur. It was a younger bear, underweight for summer with some scars on his face. He lurked around the work site for about a half hour. My friend kept an eye on him while working and going up and down a ladder. All at once the bear dropped his shoulder and charged straight at my friend. It was a race to the truck, which the human won by 30 feet. He had a pistol under the seat, but did not use it. My friend is a serious hunter that has had lots of run ins with bears and cougars. He is certain that charge was predatory, by a young bear, looking for a territory that was constantly displaced by other older bears. He turned to humans as prey.

Some older bears in the population may develop a similar strategy due to tooth loss, lack of mobility, or other ailments. People that live in places with a high density of black bears need to be aware of this phenomenon. It is not due to the ingestion of mushrooms. It is by default.

See, ppine, that bear sounded like a junky right from get go. I say that in jest of course. Not only bears, but moose, wolves coyotes, badgers and to some degree even smaller mammals such as beavers can all present a problem under certain conditions when interacting with humans. This is not a new phenomenon, nor will there be one basic sound piece of advice that will end it. We need to use caution and respect the ferocity of an injured, threatened, starving or maybe even on the off chance, a stoned animal for our own self preservation.

I think you are right YC. Especially the "ragged blondish" ones.
Nah.. Red had the thought train going.. When one of us can crawl into a bear cranium then we will know for sure.

I am still nervous from my moose encounter a few years ago in May.. Bullwinkle was intent on foraging off striped maple buds and no matter where I zigged or zagged he was there. To me the message was clear. "Git".

YC, we are part of that animal world and historically we are not that far removed from a time when we were more closely linked into that circle of life. Now humans fear each other for other reasons, possibly primally on the same level but oddly I fear not. We are one of the only species that kill each other en masse.

Which makes me quite comfortable on my next canoe trip to Allagash Lake on Monday! I happily take the bear.. though I suspect he/she flees.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/punch-in-nose-saves-man-from-polar-bear-1.939732 This story comes from Mr. Haslams predecessor Wes Werbowy in the GCHS outers program. To gain an understanding of how to survive any predator encounter you have to understand what motivates them. Its all about risk and reward. A majority of wolf attacks come from sickly animals on the risk side they have little to lose if they don't eat they will die. So not only a wounded bear but a sick bear is dangerous it's important to note their condition. A mangy sickly scrawny animal requires a lot of attention.

For the predator to make a risk assessment its understanding of what it's looking at plays a big roll. If it's familiar with humans it might see them as a predator or a source of food hence don't feed the bear's. I have been a prospector for the past 41 years and note that in more remote area's predator's are much more curious. You have to realize that they feed on moose if given the chance and you are smaller than a moose even with your canoe on your back so they check out your response to their presence. If you act like prey then they know you're on the menu. In some cases even if you don't they'll up the anti with a false charge just to see if you are bluffing so stand your ground. Have your bear banger, knife or preferably an axe ready (I always keep my brush axe with me its light and fast) and hope for the best.

Basic to keeping safe, make lots of noise, I always give trees a good wack with my axe and reblaze the port. Never clean your fish at your campsite and burn any leftover food, tins and rappers. Never eat in your tent, in parks bears can see small tents as garbage bags so if you're around dump bears use a large tent.
I have always kept my knife at my side as I sleep. keep your food away from your tent. hang it up or sealed in barrels, canoe box's or packed in bags. If you come across any critter on its last legs no matter what you'll probably have to fight it off, if your permitted a survival gun take one. in most jurisdictions if you have to dispatch a problem animal your are required to bury it.

Over all an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Sound like the biggest baddest mother in the bush. After you take that breath when you bump into a bear think pork chop that's what you taste like. if you can back away slowly, if they follow make noise and make yourself look as big as possible. Carry bear bangers and practice with them before your life depends on their use. If you put the banger behind the bear it may very well come right at you. Bear spray, remember the wind can blow it back on you and know one wants to be blinded with a pi$$ed of bear in front of them.

GUNS If you use a handgun use a 41 magnum or 44 magnum and up (45's are useless leave them home) work. In Canada if you earn income in the wilderness you can obtain a wilderness carry permit and use a hand gun. There are a number of smaller excellent 12 ga shotguns on the market with slugs or SSG will stop anything and I believe better than handguns. If you can get a prospectors licence you can have a long gun for protection 25 dollars for 5 years in Ontario. If you decide to carry a gun be proficient in their safe use. The unsafe use of a firearm is far more dangerous than anything you'll run into. The odds of running into the bear on his last legs are less than winning the lotto so good luck.

hmmm I don't carry bear bangers at home. Now really, do you? Locally the bears are hungry and ISO anything.. bird seed Tis also the season for confused juvie bears just having been evicted.

A bear thread...now it's officially summer...lol.

Geeeze I don't even carry spray or bangers in the bush. I used to carry a rifle but I sold it to get a lawn tractor. You can see where my priorities are. Karin does bring spray at least and has bangers on her belt so I am covered that way. If I lived where there were bears walking around I would likely at least carry a small spray ..you can use it on dogs too, people if need be.

I keep saying I am going to buy a new shotgun but there is always something else to spend the money on. Should have kept the Winchester I guess. For now I guess I will have to use a sharpened stick and brush up on my pike drill.

Christy

Bear boxing. I guess I'd have to punch above my weight. I keep meaning to purchase spray and bangers to better my chances. I usually keep a hatchet or axe nearby day and night. Is it officially bear thread season?

Bear boxing. I guess I'd have to punch above my weight. I keep meaning to purchase spray and bangers to better my chances. I usually keep a hatchet or axe nearby day and night. Is it officially bear thread season?
No..But the confused juvies that have NO idea what to do.. ( aka teens getting bounced out of house) can be a problem. I for one do not want to engage an adolescent bruin over of all things.. millet.. bird seed.

My weapon? The feeder is 15 feet away from the kitchen at home. Empty feeder before arrival. Engage pot noise when bruin sneaks in and I notice. I have never thought of spray bells or the ilk at home.

Last edited:
I like my Marlin lever action..... but it would have to be really really serious before resorting to that. I have had a bear in camp before. The fact it was the middle of the night made it an evening to remember.

Back