• Happy National No Socks Day! 🧦🚫👣

Bannock

Sailsman, I bake very few pies, so going by memory I'd say my pastry dough is "shorter" and less glutenous. Bread-biscuit-bannock dough is kneaded more and with a lower fat/flour ratio. Not trying to complicate this, because my efforts look less like a pastry chef masterpiece and more like a sci-fi sticky blobby monster maker.
Good luck with the experiments. I'm looking forward to learning new recipes.

My bannock dough feels like bread dough before it's risen and been kneaded. I usually leave it pretty wet so that it sticks to my hands without sprinkling it with flour. I think I get a lighter and tastier piece of bread that way but maybe that's only because the extra water makes it a little harder to over cook. I've certainly turned out some dense and dry breads starting with wet dough as well. Drier dough makes it easier to handle.

To combat sticky dough I combine the bannock mix and water in the same pan I'll be cooking in. I use a stick I find laying around to mostly bring it together and my hands for the last little bit. This keeps my hands pretty clean. Now I sprinkle the ball of dough with flour so I can handle it without it sticking and then rub my hands together so all the bits that had stuck to them roll off. I set it on top of the plastic bag that holds the mix and start heating up the pan with a little oil. Once the pan is hot I place the powdered ball in the pan and press it out flat. Or you can press it flat between your hands before putting it in the pan if you don't feel like frying your fingertips.

Alan

SWEEPER !
That is plain creepy ! My neighborhood is crawling with those Pokémon Zombies !
​ Time to stop it !

Canotrouge How did the RO work above the ring like that? I know that's a cheap way to contain a fire but they are a pain to cook over especial if you're using a RO.

We had to break up a lot of Stone Fire Rings in Algonquin to fit our RO.

While not bannock, I have been making quick rise yeast breads in the skillet. Usually english muffins. I let the dough rise for only 30 minutes. Mmm. We have these on our food plan for our 14day Quetico trip coming up.

Canotrouge How did the RO work above the ring like that? I know that's a cheap way to contain a fire but they are a pain to cook over especial if you're using a RO.

We had to break up a lot of Stone Fire Rings in Algonquin to fit our RO.

It worked great, it made the best pizza I ever made in camping.

What does everyone use to cook their bannok? I usually just bring my gsi aluminum pot, but I'm thinking of switching to a cast skillet.

I'm going to try my "cold handle" frying pan, some call it carbon steel. I have never cooked bannock on the trail, but maybe next week. I like pancakes over my twig stove for breakfast with lots of real local syrup.
I like snacks for lunch, but I will pack some of the above recipes for my (banoock) lunch as I will be traveling very slow with lots of time to experiment.

I use an aluminum skillet with a somewhat thick bottom. Not heavy duty but not the ultra-light ones either. I've thought about trying to cook it in my titanium pot with lid but I think it would have more of a tendency to burn. Maybe I'll give it a shot on my trip.

Alan

I'm going to try my "cold handle" frying pan, some call it carbon steel. I have never cooked bannock on the trail, but maybe next week. I like pancakes over my twig stove for breakfast with lots of real local syrup.
I like snacks for lunch, but I will pack some of the above recipes for my (banoock) lunch as I will be traveling very slow with lots of time to experiment.

This is what I use. Works great.

Back