• Happy National No Socks Day! 🧦🚫👣

Bannock

I'm a big bread fan and love the stuff. I eat it pretty much every day when tripping; usually as a meal with peanut butter but sometimes with dinner too. When I make it for breakfast I'll add cinnamon and raisins. If I make the dough really wet I can get a more biscuit like texture.

It's hard to keep your hands clean when mixing it so I usually use a stick to mostly mix up the batter and then my hands to bring it all together. Rub my hands together so all the bits crumble off and back into the mixing pan. Then liberally dust the ball of batter with more dry mix to coat it and make it easy to handle and put into the pan.

Some people make a large batch and eat it over the next 2-3 days. I like it hot and fresh though so I cook it as needed.

I'll post my recipe later when I get home but for me it's gotta have a good deal of powdered milk in it. Adds flavor and keeps it from tasting too dry and hard.

If I add a little dehydrated egg powder, oil, and extra water to thin it out it makes great pancake batter.

Alan

I love the stuff, but I'm still trying to make the perfect one every time. There have been a lot of burnt and under baked ones. Each one is an adventure. And for some reason I can't make them at home in the kitchen, only in camp far from home. Coincidence? Curse? Blessing?
I'm sorry, but if you start messing with the additional ingredients you're just making biscuits. Nothing wrong with biscuits, I love those too. So for me there can only be plain bannock or bannock with (dried) fruit. I also always add lard. Low cal - no pal.
Making enough for several days is just too efficient for me. Freshly baked (or burned) in the morning. They generally don't last all day. A hurried breakfast is porridge (just boiling water for that and coffee). A more leisurely breakfast involves making bannock.
This traditional morning ceremony tastes good and feels good.

Last edited:
I'm still trying to make the perfect one every time. There have been a lot of burnt and under baked ones. Each one is an adventure.

Little more water, little more water, little more water....ooops, too much water. Little more flour, little more flour, little more flour....ooops, too much flour. Little more water, little more water, little more water....

I'm sorry, but if you start messing with the additional ingredients you're just making biscuits.

I guess I can't argue with that but I feel more Voyageuristic (careful how you spell that) calling it bannock. And I don't get to eat lard so the powdered milk gives me some extra flavor, fat, and better texture.

Alan

Lately I have been using Martha White pizza crust mix. Comes in a secure package and the right size for a ten inch fry pan. I mix with a spoon and let sit for 5 minutes. Plop ball into pan that has liberal coating of oil for more fat calories. Coat ball of dough with oil and spread flat with the spoon. With oil it does not stick to spoon and lessens the mess. Tight lid on the cast aluminum non stick fry pan and then low simmer for 15 minutes a side. Never any leftovers.

Here's the recipe I use:

.5 cup white flour
1.5 cups wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
.5 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
.25 cup powdered milk

So that's .25 cups milk to every 2 cups of flour. But last year when I was making a lot (about 10 pounds) I mixed it in batches 4 times that size. I also converted the volume measurements to weight so I could use a scale for measurement and just dump ingredients in without measuring. Somewhere along the way I goofed and got my ratios off and I wound up putting in a good deal more powdered milk. Turned out fine anyway, maybe even better. So this year, when I realized my mistake looking back at the notes I'd scribbled on the recipe, I went ahead and added more powdered milk again.

Bannock/Biscuit mix is a fun and easy recipe to tinker with. Ingredients are cheap and very easy to mix together and cook. It's easy to try different ratios and add/subtract ingredients until you find what you like best.

Alan

Bannock/Biscuit mix is a fun and easy recipe to tinker with. Ingredients are cheap and very easy to mix together and cook. It's easy to try different ratios and add/subtract ingredients until you find what you like best.

Alan
Yes, I shouldn't be so hypocritical. Despite my "Thou shalt not corrupt the bannock" commandment, I do like to experiment; only because I have no idea what flavours go with what. "Hmm, if blue cheese goes with grapes and walnuts, does that mean it'll make an interesting sandwich?" Interesting wasn't the word for it. Educational maybe. Punishing more like. I do remember adding hot peppers to my bannock one morning. Maybe two mornings. I thought that experiment went well.
If you need to substitute one ingredient for another then by all means do what you must. The recipe and rules aren't etched in stone. They're not those kinds of commandments.

I have my own recipe that I have been making for a guide's training course and myself for many years. Best served with corn meal mush on the side along with honey and real maple syrup. Giant fry pan is optional.
Xig9Rum.jpg

Alan...you are light on the baking powder...a teaspoon per cup of flour. I add milk to mine to make it fluffier, but as Brad says lard is the answer if you want traditional. So use lard, and add more baking powder.
I also take raisins or crans and cook them a bit ...boil in water... to leach the sugar out and make them softer. You can use the water as part of the mixing process to put the sugar right into the batter...and no need to add sugar then.

Bannock was brought to the natives courtesy of the Hudson's Bay Co factors and traders, many of whom were Scotts. Bannock,or army bread as it was sometimes known, was a common thing. My Gran used to call the little raisin ones scones. Bannock is essentially tea biscuits.

The famed hot pepper bannock was a m----------er as Mem can attest to. I have been to the big city and seen the elephants though so I graciously declined the offer. The slab Brad made the last day was totally awesome though and I can honestly say I must have eaten at least half of it myself.

Christy

Alan...you are light on the baking powder...a teaspoon per cup of flour.

Unless I'm missing something obvious (wouldn't be the first time) that's what I've got in my recipe.

Here's the recipe I use:

.5 cup white flour
1.5 cups wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
.5 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
.25 cup powdered milk

Alan

Basic Bannock
Prepare at home:
1 cup flour
2 tbsp powder milk
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
cut in 3 tbsp lard
add dried fruit
Place this mixture into an over sized large ziplock bag. I double up all my food ziplocks.
In camp you can add enough water into the bag and knead till soft and doughy, but I prefer to just dump the dry contents directly into the frypan or a dish, and using a wooden spoon. Add just a little water at a time. It's handy having some extra flour available if you make the dough too wet.
I usually add raisins but love dried cherries. Miranda favours currants. Plumping any dried fruit up a bit first with rum, whiskey or brandy is nice. I prefer the boring white flour but have tried others.

Tom Thompson Bannock
1 cup flour
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup cornmeal
3 tbsp baking powder
3 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp powder milk
3 pinches salt
As much as I love hot oatmeal or cornmeal for breakfast (with brown sugar or maple syrup) I didn't like this bannock blend. I'll have to keep playing with the proportions.

I've also come across recipes with soy flour, bran, and whole wheat flour for more health conscience options (replacing the lard with oil).

Last Winter . Second batch on the stove. I ate the whole thing !

IMG_0849_zpssh2hjrzg.jpg

Thanks Alan ! I NEEDED that ! .

​OH, Alan's recipe, with a little more sugar.

Jim

Last edited:
Basic Bannock
Prepare at home:
1 cup flour
2 tbsp powder milk
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
cut in 3 tbsp lard
add dried fruit
Place this mixture into an over sized large ziplock bag. I double up all my food ziplocks.
In camp you can add enough water into the bag and knead till soft and doughy, but I prefer to just dump the dry contents directly into the frypan or a dish, and using a wooden spoon. Add just a little water at a time. It's handy having some extra flour available if you make the dough too wet.
I usually add raisins but love dried cherries. Miranda favours currants. Plumping any dried fruit up a bit first with rum, whiskey or brandy is nice. I prefer the boring white flour but have tried others.

Tom Thompson Bannock
1 cup flour
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup cornmeal
3 tbsp baking powder
3 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp powder milk
3 pinches salt
As much as I love hot oatmeal or cornmeal for breakfast (with brown sugar or maple syrup) I didn't like this bannock blend. I'll have to keep playing with the proportions.

I've also come across recipes with soy flour, bran, and whole wheat flour for more health conscience options (replacing the lard with oil).

Your basic bannock is almost exactly as I make mine too, I add a couple of tbsp of brown sugar to mine now. I enjoy the slight sweetness.

But that second one looks very interesting. Heavy, maybe increase the baking powder or add some baking soda and cut in some lard or bear grease.

Sweet Bannock:
• 2 cups unbleached white flour
• 1 cup whole wheat flour
• 1/2 cup corn meal
• 1/4 - 1/2 cup oat flour any other flour
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• 1/3 cup shortening (Crisco works well, traditionalists will use lard)
• 1/3 cup dry milk powder - I use whole milk Nido brand
• 5 Tablespoons sugar - I like to mix half white and half brown sugar
(leave out sugar and cinnamon for generic biscuit mix)
• Cinnamon - variable amount, but if you like the taste cinnamon use more than you might think
• Blend well to a grainy texture, until small bits of shortening remain
• Package dry, will keep indefinitely until ready to use

• When ready to cook, save a little of the dry mix (in case of the mistake of adding too much water)
• Carefully add water a little at a time to form a dry (barely moist) workable dough (less water than you think, there is a critical point of too much water)
• Pinch a golf ball size portion, make a very flat disk by pressing between floured hands
• Bake or pan fry until golden brown and delicious
• Serve with corn meal mush, maple syrup, and honey

The recipe from Odssey has me intrigued. a long time user of Bisquick I no longer commit that sin. I use Bakewell Cream for biscuits

so this is what I will try

Basic Bannock
Prepare at home:
1 cup flour
2 tbsp powder milk
1 tsp Bakewell Cream
1/4 tsp salt
cut in 3 tbsp lard

Lard is available in sticks for easy transport. I like garlic and rosemary as additives.

Unless I'm missing something obvious (wouldn't be the first time) that's what I've got in my recipe.

Alan
Right you are Alan. My poor old eyes were not working so well. Nor my brain. Like a lot of other things these days.

I had to look up Bakewell Cream. Interesting reading all about leavening agents etc...A television chef once said that baking was nothing more than chemistry. Well, it sure can be a Eureka! moment when a freshly baked science experiment is hot and ready. I've made fresh pizza dough on trips but don't often; I'm a messy dough maker. Kneading a pizza crust on a lightly floured upturned canoe hull looks good in photos but mine tend to gather twigs and dirt.

I'm told the secret to good bannock is the baking powder. The Bakewell Cream looks to be exactly like Canada's Magic Baking Powder (non aluminum single acting) I've been told you have to it or the bannocks not going to taste right. Around Hudson's and James Bay the bannock is deep fried in crisco or lard flatted to the size of a pancake with a little hole in the middle and very tasty. In a pinch I've used ash from the fire as baking powder it works but if you dig to deep the sand is a bit hard on the teeth.

Thanks, everyone for contributing so far. I've been inspired to start experimenting, and I'm liking the results!

​Mostly started with Alan Gage's recipe, but with real milk instead of powder and water. (What I had) I've been playing around a bit, just tried using lard (Actually, cleaned up bacon drippings) tonight. I'm finding I like both sweeter and more savoury variants, depending on what I combine it with.

The dough's consistency: Like a baking powder biscuit? Or more like a pie crust?

Back