• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Supermarket Food Ideas for Extended Tripping

There is something that feeds the soul as well as the body sitting in the back country with a good cup of coffee and some warm bannock or cornbread … honey melting in … looking out over a lake. My sore muscles and hungry belly seem to speak to me … yup, this just feels right.
Well said Bob, I agree. I stopped at this seldom used campsite on the Marshall Lake route in northern Ontario for lunch, which iirc was some instant potatoes and a left over piece of walleye. Very memorable moment from a great trip.
Thanks for bringing back such fond memories.

DSC02238_Original.jpegDSC02230_Original.jpegDSC02233_Original.jpeg

1712748561713.jpeg

I've done trips up to six weeks, mostly with summer camps, and I don't think I've ever traveled with food that you can't get at a supermarket. Everything cooked on a campfire or in a reflector oven.

Typical meals:
Breakfast: oatmeal or other hot cereal, often with bacon or spam. Pancakes or cinnamon rolls on a rest day.
Lunch: Bannock/bread/cornmeal (made the night before or morning of), with some combination of peanut butter, jelly, honey, cheese, sausage, cucumber
Dinner: Usually various combinations of rice, pasta, beans, with various sauces/toppings/meat+veggies. Pizza for a special treat.
Dessert: cake, pie, smores, hot cocoa

Most vegetables don't need refrigeration. Onions, garlic, carrots, potatoes, and cabbage can keep for a long time, bell peppers and tomatoes for about a week (if you're gentle). Harder cheeses (cheddar and up) keep pretty well, depending on weather, same with cured meats (the lower moisture content the better for both). Cans obviously keep forever, but are heavy so better for shorter trips.

My menu probably wouldn't work for most. When tripping I look at food as fuel and I keep it very simple. I don't enjoy cooking or the clean up afterwards, so for supper I cook a one pot meal and eat it out of the pot. Knorr sides with dehydrated ground beef or chicken. Breakfast is coffee and two granola bars. Lunch is two granola bars if I'm on the move. If I'm in camp at lunch it's ramen. While paddling I graze on trail mix. I have Tang with my meals. Dave

What is it about the proverbial "shore lunch"?
We end up in great places with no one around and enjoy a break from exertion and refueling. Splendid.

I think all these different practices and preferences are wonderful. I'm a foodie so while breakfast and lunches are usually no cook dead simple, some dinners do get more complex. Not a fisherperson so rarely have that wonderful option.

I started drying my own meals in the oven...nearly any leftover is fine for me.
I do have an inexpensive dehydrator now, not really that different than the oven, just faster.
Breakfast I usually bring home dried concoction of grits, eggs, cheese and ham, tasty and gives a long caloric burn.
Lunch is just some home dried fruit, bananas are my favorite.
Dinner is home dried (again) whatever...leftover Chipotle take out, left over Chinese take out (Hunan chicken is my fave), nearly any leftover meal. I currently have a couple of weeks dried and waiting in the freezer.

I prefer to keep the meals simple, and the clean up even more simple.
I rehydrate and eat out of the vacuum seal bags.
Beverages are tea, coffee, water, never any alcohol.

I'm a very lucky guy. My wife loves cooking. I do too but it doesn't come naturally to me as it seems to for her. Whereas she works from inspiration I work from written down recipes. That's the best I can do. It's always strange territory figuring out which ingredients and flavours work together, and which don't. Maybe for that reason I'm perfectly happy eating plain and ordinary. She merely frowns.
Some off the shelf ideas in the international aisle make a workable compromise for our campsite meals. Ordinarliy we eat fresh and home dehydrated but the simplicity of pre-made store bought stuff keeps things easy. Tasty Bites makes ready to eat East Indian and Asian meals. Kitchens Of India likewise makes similar meals. Often we'll make a pot of basmati on the side. And when she's standing over the fire looking down at the dinner simmering thinking outloud "I wonder if I should add..." I hand her a mug of tea and usher her to her seat. I've got this. lol

Fortunately my new haunt of Atikaki Provincial Park in Manitoba is so laden with Walleye and my paddlers love fishing that it becomes a question of what side dish tonight. Copes Roasted Corn takes a while to rehydrate but is worth the wait. The flavored instant potato packets keep things changing. Martha White Pizza Crust mix comes in just the right size packet for a 10 inch pan bread cooked in just enough oil. Can never make enough of that and it just takes the packet and water. Low heat in a covered fry pan. Patience is the key. Try for 15 minutes a side. Instant puddings for dessert using Nido dried milk for stiff pudding without cold water. If its chilly go with the 5 minute cook chocolate one for a nice hot treat.

Back