• Happy National No Socks Day! 🧦🚫👣

Banks Fry-Bake Deep Dish version of the Alpine Pan and additions

Reaction score
I just got the new Banks Fry-Bake Alpine size pan in the deep dish version and a standard weight NOLS style lid. I have used the regular Alpine pan with the standard lid for many years and have loved it. We often make popcorn in the pan because of the hard anodized aluminum really distributes the heat very well. The deep dish version work even better to make MORE popcorn with each batch and provide more clearance for higher rising baked goods.
With the new pan I made some additions:
I made a 420 denier packloth case that is padded top and bottom. In the past, a case has really helped protect the pan and lid, as well as keeping other gear clean.
Also, a removable handle for the lid was fashioned. This handle arrangement has worked well and is much easier than hot pads or a stick, or whatever, to hook the center loop. The handle is made from 1/8" x 3/4" aluminum. It is attached with stainless 3/16" x3/4" machine screw, fender washers and wing nut. The handle and hardware fit in the zippered pocket of carrying case. I have also added an Esbit hard anodized pot gripper.
The pot gripper can be used in reverse to grab the lid handle if it is hot.
As many of you know, the Fry-Bakes are very versatile and well made. The description and photos explain what I have come up with to make it better for the way we use it.

Attachments

• photo3489.jpg
    photo3489.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 9
  • photo3490.jpg
    photo3490.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 8
  • photo3491.jpg
    photo3491.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 8
  • photo3492.jpg
    photo3492.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 5
  • photo3493.jpg
    photo3493.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 4
  • photo3494.jpg
    photo3494.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 4
  • photo3495.jpg
    photo3495.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 5
  • photo3496.jpg
    photo3496.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 6
I have 2 of the expedition one(10.5"x2.5") and love them. They are the best frying pan ever made period!! I wish they would make an Expedition deep dish like 3.5" deep or so!

Very nice, I really like that handle. The fry-bake is one of those things I always lust for but never seem to pull the trigger on.

Very nice, I really like that handle. The fry-bake is one of those things I always lust for but never seem to pull the trigger on.

They have factory seconds(blemish) that are cheeper, but totally fine! I found one on a used gear web page last year.

They are totally worth the money. I know lots of people talk highly of the cold handle frying pan, but they are almost impossible to find in new condition and they can be pricey by the time they get here!!

I have one of the large pans. A 2nds/blemished one - though I can not figure out why. Very useful. I use it mostly under an outback oven. We do pizza, corn bread, rolls, cobbler, brownies. Want to try doing some pieced chicken in it. Any good recipes you would like to share?

As far as baked recipes, we have made fresh and frozen lasagna, baked fish, citrus chicken, beef stew, chicken and rice, muffins, corn bread, etc. With the deep dish style it should work much better to prevent burning the top when the pan is full. It would also be great for the minimalist who likes to cook. It is deep enough to make one "pot" meals.

Sure!
Fresh ingredients described here, have never made it with dehydrated materials but it could be done and not need to be baked, just rehydrated.
Brown some cut up cut of beef you like or have on hand or purchase stew meat, right in the baking container.
If you like onions and/or garlic, put this in to sauté with the beef.
Add cut up carrots, potatoes (peeled or not, but scrubbed) and celery, if you like.
Add some water to help form a gravy and more water and cornstarch if you like more gravy.
Add salt, pepper, thyme, sage and bay leaf.
Stir.
Put the lid on whatever baking device you are using, with coals or fire already started.
Bake at medium heat for 45 to 60 minutes.
Check doneness and stir as necessary.
I hope this helps.

Back