• Happy Star Wars Day! 🌇🚶🏼‍,👑👊🏼🔙

Bamboo ?

Reaction score
Has anyone looked at Bamboo for canoes, either trim or hull ?

Menard's has it in 1x6x16' planking, prestained for $35.
It's supposed to be rot resistant.

Guessing it's a composite, but it may have some possibility

When the wife gets home, I'm thinking road trip.

Jim

MDB and I recently did some floors with bamboo flooring.
Jim, it's actually very hard, and hard to cut! It's also very dense, or at least the flooring was. I haven't looked it to to see the true density, but that might be moot because much of the bamboo stuff is composite.

Some skin boat guys use it as rib stock. Specifically, Brian of Cape Falcon. You might find more info at the old baidarka email list or qajaqusa.

I don't know anything about using bamboo in canoe building, however I still use grandad's 1930's era Heddon Model #50 bamboo fly rod fishing out of canoes and it works great, as does 1940's Wright & McGill bamboo fly rods. When I was on R&R in Hong Kong in 1967, folks there were using bamboo poles for scaffolding on high rise buildings, I don't remember what held it all together, but I think it was tied up just like the lashing that was popular in the boy scouts back in the day.

I don't know anything about using bamboo in canoe building, however I still use grandad's 1930's era Heddon Model #50 bamboo fly rod fishing out of canoes and it works great, as does 1940's Wright & McGill bamboo fly rods. When I was on R&R in Hong Kong in 1967, folks there were using bamboo poles for scaffolding on high rise buildings, I don't remember what held it all together, but I think it was tied up just like the lashing that was popular in the boy scouts back in the day.

When we were in Shanghai in April they were still using bamboo for scaffolding.

the composite flooring stuff is going to be dense. Raw bamboo comes in at similar density to northern white cedar, and is substantially harder. (according to some quick googleing). What you want is the milled slat material that flooring, etc. is made out of.

The problem is, the only place that I have seen the stuff is on alibaba, and they are dealing in containerloads, FOB various ports in China. Way out of my buying power.

Well my road trip was a waste. Menards did not have any in stock. They said it was special order. Their add made no mention of special order, so the quest go on.

Jim​ Thanks so far !

There is a laminated bamboo product called, oddly enough, "Lamboo". It is dense, probably as dense as MDF. I have a 1 X 4 X 8' piece that I use as a straight edge. I don't know how much of the weight is due to resin injected into the bamboo. My experience with it has been restroom partitions and doors.

Bamboo is usable for hulls. It has been a while since this website was put up, but IIRC from the Wooden Boat article mentioned on the "News" page, these were quite pricey. Not sure where you would get the material to build your own.

Thanks for the link Roger !
I'm getting excited now, and going to Menards to just order a plank. I'm sure it's not what they used in the link, but I've got to see !

I love the sustainability of Bamboo ! I know it's heavier, but !
Thanks again.

Jim

That place is about 45 minutes from my house. I'll go check it out next time I head back west. I'll get the skinny on where they're sourcing the bamboo. However, we rural Kansas boys don't typically take too kindly to Lawrencians.

Back