• Happy Birthday, Gary Cooper (1901-61)! 📽️☝🏻🕛

Backrest

Reaction score
As I MATURE ! I find the need more and more for comfort, while paddling !

​ I've been experimenting with a portage yoke/backrest for my solo canoes.
This last week, I had an opportunity to put it to the test.
I also brought along my "Nate stick".
​ Both worked great to rest my bones, when things started paining.
The backrest/portage yoke, could be used and adjusted, by simply tightening or loosening one of the half hitches on either side.
I could use it in three configurations, a yoke, a full backrest, and set up backwards as a rear portage yoke, it provided comfort also.
​ As a full backrest, It worked the best in calmer waters, as waves and swells, made it a little awkward.
a few pics
IMG_0114_zpsosdfiaf3.jpg

IMG_0066_zpsnkwd6sgi.jpg

IMG_1325_zpsnpeccjyq.jpg

Jim

Jim, I have a strap system that I think would work great on your seatback/yoke. It would eliminate needing the rope and would be a faster/easier change. When I get home tomorrow I can send you some pics and see what you think.

Jim, I have a strap system that I think would work great on your seatback/yoke. It would eliminate needing the rope and would be a faster/easier change. When I get home tomorrow I can send you some pics and see what you think.

That would be great !

​ I found myself adjusting the rope, as it stretched. A strap should eliminate that.

Nice idea! I used a hand awl and attatched 2" webbing to the bottom of an REI trail seat, the ones you use sitting on the ground. I buckle it to the seat just like you would on a GSI seat backer. The longer bottom portion snugs up nicely to your hammies when you lean into the back. Almost like adjusting a kayak seat to support under your legs. And of course, it's a pretty comfy trail seat too. Especially atop an old log, bolder, or the floor of a leanto

Jason

DSCN5736.JPG

Jim - here's a pic of the strap - it loops around the seat and through itself. The buckle allows you to adjust it and it snaps apart so you can remove the back without having to take the strap off. You do need to screw it into the back on the top side. My wife just sewed up some new ones and I wouldn't mind someone trying them out to make sure they hold up plus seeing it used on something else would be great. PM your address and I will send you a couple of them.

Attachments

• DSCN5734.JPG
    DSCN5734.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 0
BWCA66, do you have any worries of the bottom splitting out along the grain? Seems like the fulcrum position where the back meets the seat would see alot of stress pulling inwards at the bottom as you push out leaning back against the top. I only ask because I have had a seat backer fail at that point and that was steel. It's possible that it was already damaged before the failure though, I never checked them before it broke on me.

It is a very good looking seat back though!

Jason

I guess the fulcrum would be where the strap meets the middle of the seat, but at this hour I lack the vocabulary! Lol

BWCA66, do you have any worries of the bottom splitting out along the grain? Seems like the fulcrum position where the back meets the seat would see alot of stress pulling inwards at the bottom as you push out leaning back against the top.

Jason, have not had any issues yet. This seat back although heavier than some I have used is becoming my favorite.
Greg

I can see why its a favorite...

Jim, where do the yoke pads contact your back? After an hour or two do you get sore? Wondering if since it's two separate pads do you get what I guess would be the equivalent to "hot spots" like my heels do when hiking?
Thanks,
Jason

Last edited:
I can see why its a favorite...

Jim, where do the yoke pads contact your back? After an hour or two do you get sore? Wondering if since it's two separate pads do you get what I guess would be the equivalent to "hot spots" like my heels do when hiking?
Thanks,
Jason

No hot spots in October. HA!
The good thing, is all I have to do is lift up on the rest, and it lays in the bottom of the canoe, or can be lowered and put backwards. This still provides a support to the lower back.

Rough water caused me to remove it. Again it worked best in calm water.
​ More testing for sure, but of as now, I'm happy with it.

Jim

Backrest update.
BWCA66 provided me with some straps that work just Great !
​ This AM, I put them through the test, and they exceed my expectations Here's some pics, showing the different positions.
​ The straps with the snap buckles, make it easy to adjust, or remove for long distance transport.
IMG_0174_zpseup4ab7y.jpg

Up right position
IMG_0173_zpsowsnpx2t.jpg

lowered backrest.
IMG_0172_zpsuxe2sgau.jpg

Lastly portage position.

​ I tested it with my Old body, floating down the river on a beautiful Fall day. If I was going to spent more than an hour on the river, this along with my Nate stick provides the comfort I need to enjoy the float !

I'm sold !

Last edited:
Back