• Happy Tear the Tags Off the Mattress Day! 🛏️✂️🏷️🚔🚨👮

Backrest for a Busted Back

I'm kind of in the same place. I was all set to get a Cushgear Seat-back from Wenonah, and then they went off-sale. I tried one in a test paddle on the Wenonah Wee Lassie a few years ago and didn't care for it, mainly because it interfered with my kayak paddle stroke, but then I bought a Mini-Canak with a Cushgear and it was great using a single stick (although I did fasten a foam pad to the seat-back slats).

M Clemens,
How did it interfere with double blade use?
As I rotated my torso, it would catch me in or under the shoulder blade, tried multiple height adjustments to no avail. I guess I don't rotate with a single blade, as it never happened in the Mini-Canak.

What I liked most about the Cushgear is the adjustability: height and angle. plus there is a bit of curvature to the seat-back slats.

Last edited:
Thanks Bob, have both of those. The frame one has a seat that is too thick. I use a thin pad on a webbed seat. I did consider dropping the seat down 2” and using the aluminum frame seat, but the back is too high and wide. Interferes with paddling.

The 2nd one is best for a bucket seat on the floor. Used one of those through WCPP in 2017, works good with a double blade but provides no support.

I also have the Crazy Creek and the Piragis Comfy Foam Seat, and the Bucket Comfy Foam Seat, along with various other iterations. The back cannot be too high or I won’t use it. Just up to the bottom off the ribcage for lower back support.

The lightweight wooden seatless design is more to my liking. Hoping to get one under 2 lbs.

Last edited:
Do you have a foot brace in your canoes? I find that to be a big help even without a back rest.

Alan

Mine works great too. And doubles as a portage yoke for my solos. Thanks for the straps !

IMG_3064_zpswrpygu29.jpg

I have one more recommendation. I call it the " Nate stick ".
It's simply a stick, cut to the width of the gunnels. ( see pic above ), and placed under the legs. This gives me instant relief.

To see if this works for you ? Just place a paddle shaft under your legs, and see how it feels ?

Good Luck !

Jim

Possibly hallucinating, but I could have sworn I saw a seat with a backrest like the Essex but it was "heavy duty" or something. It wasn't XL Does anyone know it this exists?

I have the GCI, and I would guess that for everyone outside the Clydesdale class this would be great, but with my weight and distribution I am afraid of breaking it and getting an aluminum spear in my kidney.

That being said, it has been 100% durable for the 3-4 years I've had it. But you never know.

Hi M Clemens,

Yes, that is the plan. I'll have to get the seat as well but figure it will work ok. I have a Solo Plus rigged solo (not a great rep on this hull but holds a ton) and have added a CCS cover. Want to get the seat squared and this should take care of my flatwater needs till my personal canoe season comes to an end.

Back