• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Article about FreeStyle..what why..the benefits

Freestyle is important because it expands the boundaries of what is possible with a paddle. In order for canoeing to survive, it needs some modern edginess.
The current fad of plastic kayaks appeals to people that have no paddling skills and have no plans to get any. That is where freestyle comes in . It shows the way.

" In order for canoeing to survive it needs some modern edginess". No it doesn't.
"Plastic kayaks appeal to people with no paddling skills and don't plan to get any" That's a broad brush you're painting a group of people with and makes no sense. " Free style shows the way" Really?

" In order for canoeing to survive it needs some modern edginess". No it doesn't.
"Plastic kayaks appeal to people with no paddling skills and don't plan to get any" That's a broad brush you're painting a group of people with and makes no sense. " Free style shows the way" Really?

Its not edginess.Its the learning of the many ways you can move a canoe. Used to be that every kid in an Ontario camp knew the basic skills in FreeStyle fifty years before that unfortunate name was plastered on quietwater canoeing.

There is nothing edgy about it aside from boat heel if desired. The big change came in the 70's in boat size as the paddling population entered the "Me Me Me" "I want my personal boat" phase and became less interested in canoeing as transport and more of that as canoe for sport. Boats shrank, paddle widths grew.

These days there is an interest in melding the "sport" and the practical "transport". I am jealous..some are now gathering paddling miles in Florida. And I am on the computer duh

BTW I started solo paddling in a plastic kayak... Soon I saw the light.. I needed a canoe or six and one real sea kayak

Its not edginess.Its the learning of the many ways you can move a canoe. Used to be that every kid in an Ontario camp knew the basic skills in FreeStyle fifty years before that unfortunate name was plastered on quietwater canoeing.

There is nothing edgy about it aside from boat heel if desired. The big change came in the 70's in boat size as the paddling population entered the "Me Me Me" "I want my personal boat" phase and became less interested in canoeing as transport and more of that as canoe for sport. Boats shrank, paddle widths grew.

These days there is an interest in melding the "sport" and the practical "transport". I am jealous..some are now gathering paddling miles in Florida. And I am on the computer duh

BTW I started solo paddling in a plastic kayak... Soon I saw the light.. I needed a canoe or six and one real sea kayak

Thanks for your response YC. That's a good explanation I can relate to.
I enjoy my canoes, especially the w/c canoes I have. But I also have a kayak that I enjoy in Florida and the big water lakes in the Adirondacks.

Last edited:

My experience with canoeing clubs and instruction supports ppine's comment about "no paddling skills." I refuse to paddle with the local paddling club - mostly in plastic kayaks - because (a) they often turn a blind eye to unsafe practices, such as gaggling up behind river obstacles and conducting Chinese fire drills to get themselves back in the flow; and (b) they refuse to sponsor or conduct any safety or other instruction.

I've been asked many times why I paddle canoes when kayaks are so much easier. There are several versions of this.
I've been chided a few times for paddling canoes because I must be a curmudgeon who's stuck in the old ways.
Offers to help people with things like strokes, maneuvering, river reading, and balance have been rebuffed with comments about how easy it is to paddle a kayak and get one out of a tight spot.

It's true, there are kayakers who take the time to get instruction and learn more than alternating duck-waddle strokes, but they're in the minority. That's why I think ppine's comment does indeed paint with a broad brush, and appropriately so.

Then we take these skills and adapt them to the task of moving a canoe with a heavy load.

Itt just responds slower. Straight keeled hulls like my Peregrine tend not to turn fast nor alot with the ends buried.. but it still turns. Rock avoidance you know.. Its nice not to have to work harder than possible to get close to the takeout. Or get loose of the put in.. I think La Verendrye and Wabakimi and Woodland Caribou are the most challenging.

Back