• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

Arc'n Spark'n and Bark'n...

Reaction score
Trying to come up with suggestions for Brad to spend his money on, I discovered something on Amazon. Doing a search for "fire starters" they had a whole selection of those sparking rod things like we've all seen. But further down the page, Amazon offered just the rod itself. Various sizes and sometimes just one or a handful were offered. And the prices were very low.

In the evaluation section, guy's were telling how they made different handles for the rods and how well the rods worked and so on. Anyways....this being the deep, dark and dismal of winter, I ordered one, 1/2 X 5" the thing is huge! It ought to be fun coming up with how I want to mount it to something.

Those rods are described as "Mischmetal" and "Ferrocerium stone Magnesium" Now, for somebody who's still working on the idea of a opposable thumb, what the heck do those terms mean, Rippy?
Or maybe it's magic in metal and not to be questioned by the peasants like me.

Best Wishes, Rob

I don't know for sure but maybe it's just some old fashioned alchemy and us mere mortals aren't supposed to understand what it all means (LOL). More seriously, I've never used one of these ferro rods but they do pique my curiosity. Enough to purchase one? Not sure yet. I think I'll wait and see what folks on the forum have to say about them.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

While you might think that I'm rolling in clover because I'm so slow to open my moth eaten wallet and actually buy any of the stuff I'm internet ogling, but the truth is much more mundane than that. I'm slow and careful at buying stuff, because I've only got so very little cash to splash. But I should thank you for thinking of me and my burgeoning bulge of bills in my back pocket; I should, but I won't...not just yet. I'm gonna think about it, slow and careful like.
In the meantime, tell us more about this ferro thing. I have a fire steel for emergencies, and have practised with it. My rod is a diminutive couple inches. (Lets pretend that doesn't sound suggestive.) I'm guessing with 5" of ferro rod you could heap great gobs of molten sparks with the right edge. Your choice of edges naturally, I wouldn't want to start any trouble here on your brand new thread. I'll leave that to you.
By the by, I'm anxious to try that fire starting method shown by that Baptisite fellow, using a grooved half a log and rubbing stick.
Let us know when the lighting rod arrives.
I'm looking forward to some of your West Coast Rob experiments. Show & Tell us how it works!

Hey, I was always told size doesn't matter, but I guess if you want to start a big fire, you need a big stick. My little fire starter is like Brad's. only a couple of inches long and thin as my baby finger. OM, the kindling is gonna run away in terror from your big rod!

I've always carried some sort of sparker, but really got into it on a canoe trip with some kids. They love starting fires with them which means I don't have too. We started with the mag bars with rod imbedded on one side, but now I take just a ferro rod. That is all you need when you have a chuck of dried Chaga.

Rob,

If what you have is basically a fire steel, I think you will love it. Most have a coating on them and do not spark well until "broke in" or until the coating is well worked off. For what it is worth, I have ditched the matches and lighter looooong ago. Wet matches and broken lighters can be a disaster ... been there. All I have used for a LOT of years have been a fire steel ... period. I also bring cotton balls ... no grease - just cotton. I have used a piece of steel, my knife, a hard sharp rock like granite, flint or chert to use as a striker I can start a fire , especially in the north country, with a fire steel alone, but alone but with a cotton ball it is almost like cheating. If your steel is 5 inches long ... do you need a handle? Can you hang onto it with leather gloves? When one end wears down considerably, can you just switch ends? Those "Ferro type" rods, are good for thousands of strikes, work when wet and (for me at least) are the only way to go. I use them to start my twig stove, gas stove and camp fires ... and have for a long time.

Folks (like myself) have used deer antler, wood, plastic etc for a handle. It always looks pretty cool. If it is 5 inches, consider not using a handle and just hang on to the 1/2 diameter rod. You could get twice the strikes out of it. Anyway, just a suggestion.

Respectfully,

Bob.

There are two basic types of fire steels: ferrocerium and mischmetal.

Here's a video showing 12 different types of tinder being lighted with a fire steel.

There is perhaps only one natural thing that is both tinder and kindling at the same time: feathersticks. If you can find dry wood, you can make feathersticks with a knife. With feathersticks there is no need for petroleum products, pastes, unavailable birch bark or mysterious fungi. Light one very finely curled featherstick with your steel, then light other feathersticks with the first one, and then put larger kindling on top of your flaming feathers.

guy's were telling how they made different handles for the rods

If making your own handle for a fire steel rod, consider making it out of fatwood. You can then scrape the very highly combustible fatwood into tinder shavings. More tips from YouTube bushcrafters.

I prefer a plain fire steel drilled for a lanyard with a dedicated scraper. For use in cold wet weather combined with older less dexterous fingers, I've replaced all my steels with larger versions. My smallest is now a 3/8" x 4" rod and winter trekking sees a 1/2" x 5" in the kit. The winter steel has a homemade cedar handle, the summer steels have no handle. I like the FireSteel.com products quite a lot.

When I'm stuck in camp with wet windy weather I practice my inclement weather fire building skills. Its enjoyable and keeps boredom at bay.

I prefer a plain fire steel drilled for a lanyard with a dedicated scraper. For use in cold wet weather combined with older less dexterous fingers, I've replaced all my steels with larger versions. My smallest is now a 3/8" x 4" rod and winter trekking sees a 1/2" x 5" in the kit. The winter steel has a homemade cedar handle, the summer steels have no handle. I like the FireSteel.com products quite a lot.

When I'm stuck in camp with wet windy weather I practice my inclement weather fire building skills. Its enjoyable and keeps boredom at bay.

Some good ideas there, particularly practising during wet and windy camp days. Thanks Holmes.

ps Thanks wgiles. Hmm. An every day carry ferro rod, and a ditch kit mischmetal rod?

Last edited:
The harder rods appear to throw a real shower of sparks, while the softer rods don't. Magnesium oxide will not serve as a fuel, while magnesium metal will. Powdered aluminum mixed with iron oxide is thermite, which can be ignited and will burn hot enough to create molten iron. This has been used to weld lengths of railroad rail together. Powdered magnesium would produce a similar effect. If you carry prepared tinder, the harder rods would probably be best since they produce more sparks. I have one or two of the fire starters with the magnesium bars that you shave slivers off of for fuel, but have never really cared for them. It's not all that easy to hit the magnesium slivers with the sparks. My favorite natural tinder is birch bark and my favorite artificial tinder is petroleum jelly treated cotton balls. I kind of like the idea of the plain rods with lanyard holes.

Bill Giles

I carry ferro rods in all my kits. They are also very good for lighting gas stoves and alcohol stoves. I love making fires with ferro rods and practice on many types of tinders. I still use a lighter of course, but my ferro rods are 100% dependable with skills and knowledge on tinder prep.

Many beginners have bad luck with the ferro rod because the scraper that comes with it is often useless, or next to useless. They make feeble sparks, which will not ignite a difficult tinder. The edge has to be a sharp 90 degree spine. If its not, then you cannot rip molten metal globs off it, which is what you want for many natural tinders. Gas and alcohol stoves only need small sparks, but many natural tinders in the bush need a glob of molten metal that will last for a good second or so.

You can file the spine on a poor striker to be a sharp 90. Or some knives are specially designed with sharp spines to rip metal off a ferro rod, like the F1. Moras are infamous for having rounded spines, but they and most knives can be modified easily with some filing of the spine to be ferro rod strikers. The new Mora "bushcraft" models have sharp spines for just this purpose, and also for making fine wood shavings, which make tinder for a ferro rod spark. I highly recommend a sharp 90 degree spine on all outdoors knives anyway.

I have replaced most of my strikers with the carbide ones from Firesteel.com. These are excellent, and they only cost a buck or so. I mass order them to justify the shipping cost (many dozens at a time) and give them as gifts, and I have a class set of ferro rods with these strikers that I use for teaching firecraft. Need a stocking stuffer? - give a striker. Heck give a ferro rod and striker! You can never have too many for various kits in home, vehicle, bush, survival kits, PFD, backup, etc.

Folks above have mentioned ”ferrocerium and "mischmetal". As I understand it, its all "mischmetal" in various compositions, with iron and cerium being key elements in various proportions along with others that have been mentioned above. I have found it more instructive to describe the various brands as harder or softer. The hardness determines how you strike it to make various types of sparks and molten globs. The hard ones you can strike quite slowly to generate sparks. The more pressure you apply, the bigger the molten globs get. The softer ones require a faster strike, and they produce molten globs easier, but perhaps with less ability to aim, although that is an acquired skill that can be refined. With a slow scrape on the softer ones, you can also produce a pile of metal shavings that do not ignite. Then you fast strike it and can ignite the pile for a bigger hotter longer burn. The two extremes of the spectrum in hardness are very different in their behaviour with the strike, but both can be equally effective when you adjust your technique.

The harder type is well represented by the Swedish "Light My Fire" brand – in fact it tends to be the benchmark that others are compared to for hardness. The softer type is well represented by the "Firesteel.com" brand. I own both, but I have to say that I prefer the LMF type a little better, but that is just me. They are both great brands and both great compositions. That said, I dislike the strikers that come with the new LMF ferro rods. I replace them with a Firesteel.com carbide striker.

Once you get to know and love using ferro rods, you will start to know which of your tools have an edge that makes a good striker. The best I have is the spine of my F1, which produces ultimate molten metal globs, its incredible. The back of saws on multitools are often also very good. The awl that folds out to the end on the alox SAK's is superb. The side folding awl on a SAK is in too awkward a position for me to use a striker. Although a knife edge will make a fine spark blob, you don’t want to do that and dull the edge. An axe edge can be used since its not as critical for sharpness as your knife, and can be touched up easier.

For my teaching class set, I bought the cheapo Coghlans ferro rods (since I could not afford a class set of the better brands). The strikers that come with them were literally rounded and completely useless so I cut them off the lanyards. They could be filed into 90 edges, but I already owned dozens of the Firesteel.com strikers, so I re-attached them with longer lanyards. The superb carbide strikers make the Coghlans a decent ferro rod, (although I would not trust their quality control – better to go with the better brands )

The strikers often come with too short a lanyard even on the better brands. I cut the lanyards off and make longer ones which give you a roomy full grip with plenty of slack for a good strike.

Now, get out there and make some fires! Warning – ferro rods can become addictive. I often go out at night in my back yard, scrape up some birch bark into fine shavings, and rip a few ignitions with the F1, just because its fun and makes me feel good! In the bush I am always collecting new tinder material to try out. My favourite (other than birchbark), is balsam fir gum mashed into uznea arboreal lichen, which grows on balsam fir, and acts like a wick. It burns for many seconds to a minute or more depending how much gum and lichen you have mixed together.

addition to above post: Here's a link to a video I made using the ferro rod with the balsam fir gum/uznea lichen method I mentioned above:

Modern life jackets have pockets and in go the ferro rod and magnesium block. I found recently they work great for lighting stoves. On a windy day my friend was getting frustrated trying to light his old Coleman one burner with a match. The ferro rod worked on the first try. We left it out by the stoves.

Well, my fire steel came and I thought I'd tell you what I found out. First and most importantly: it sends out a dandy shower of sparks that starts my Vaseline/cotton ball, no problem. Of the two types of fire steels, it seems the harder and less inclined to send "glops" of burning metal out.
Right on the money as far as size: 1/2 X 5" no problem holding it without any handle attached.

On U-tube I found some clips of "corrosion of fire steel" they show some serious pitting of the fire steel from various materials getting on the rod. I guess that shouldn't have surprised me, let's face it, some metal in the rod is sure reactive and it's reasonable it would combine with water vapor and other things, resulting in deep pitting. Mors Kochanski talks about this in one of his videos as well.
I think I'll root out all the various fire steels I have stashed in different places and coat the surface of the rod with some varnish to seal it. When or if I ever need to use the steel, it will be no problem scratching off the coating.

For the large fire steel which is pretty much a "work horse" everyday use, I've enclosed it in a plastic pipe. At the hardware, they've got bins of small plastic pipe fittings, the smallest offered holds the rod just fine. The 5" long pipe has threads on the ends and with two threaded end caps I've got my water proof case. For a striker, I found a good quality pairing knife at the thrift shop. I blunted the point and attached it to the case with a long nylon string.

Turns out that it's not at all pretty but I think it's a useable setup.

Best Wishes, Rob

Back