• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Anyone paddle a Wenonah Egret?

Reaction score

Might have the option to buy an Egret. Haven't come across much discussion of these and have never seen one. I believe it is Tuff Weave. Main use would be solo multiday tripping. Easy Rivers, some backcountry, possibly boundary waters or similar. 5'10'' >200#

I am curious if anyone has had any experience and information!

Not really the boat for your intended usage. Designed by Mike Galt as a small sport tandem. Wide. Continuous flare. Slow.
Nice for short day paddles, birdwatching, etc but not for covering distance or carrying a load.
OK for tandem FreeStyle play (there are even better ones) but wouldn’t take it tripping. Not going to be maneuverable enough on moving water as it has a pretty straight keel. If paddling it solo you can heel it over to get more maneuverability but not sure that’s advisable for anything in moving water beyond eddy turns.
On flatwater it is so stable heeled over you can easily take water over the gunnels and remain upright.

Last edited:
Might have the option to buy an Egret.

You can see a video of a Lotus Egret, which Wenonah copied with Mike Galt's permission, being paddled tandem by Galt in 1991 in a video in this thread:

Galt also outfitted an Egret as his solo canoe and won freestyle competitions with it. I've paddled it both solo and tandem in the 80's.

I generally would agree with SteveT's evaluation, but I probably wouldn't be as negative on the Egret as a solo tripping canoe if the trips were mainly flat water. It's certainly not a canoe with much demand, so if I had nothing else and could get a composite Egret substantially cheaper than composite competitors, I'd probably do it. Admittedly, I'd be partially motivated by nostalgia, which isn't your issue.

Didn’t mean to rain on your parade if you are truly interested in the Egret, I loved mine but just never viewed it as a traveler. That video of Mike and Marilu shows the boat used to it’s original purpose and it just doesn’t seem to fit your original description of what you want to do. Agree with Glenn that if trips are primarily flatwater you could certainly use the Egret. It is wide amidship though, making vertical strokes challenging without some heel if outfitted with a center seat.

They were a magnificent tandem team. Mike always wanted to elevate paddling a canoe from the popular perception of it being a low skill sport. (He meant flatwater, certainly not whitewater). I, for one, think he accomplished his goal….particularly with that performance, but also with the legacy of some fine FreeStyle paddlers he inspired.

Huge help from you both - I think I will likely end up passing on this Egret and spend some more time looking for something that would better fit the solo tripping needs. While I do some lake travel, I am primarily on moving water.

Really appreciate the first hand knowledge and insight. Thank you!

Back