• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Any interest in an Allegheny River Trip?

Reaction score
WNY south of Buffalo (closer to Turtle than he rea
Comtemplating a trip sometime in June. Would do it solo but Grandma won't allow it. Looking at something between Kinzua Dam and Interstate 80 (+/-100 river miles) but not necessarily the entire stretch. 3 days, 5 days 7 days? I'm retired and no longer paddle aggressively so I'm never in a hurry, 6 hrs paddling a day is my limit. Eating is a priority. Just throwing this out to see if there is any interest.

I'm interested. Would be a great trip for my Colden Nomad. Not my usual wilderness type paddle, but could be interesting. Short days with an early stop are just my style. Have you got an idea on camping places and shuttle? I think I have a map of this trip somewhere that I bought a WPASCR.

cool higgster, your boat is an older relative to my Nomad. Great grandfather? Never paddled one, I have herd that they are great straight line boats.

I'm interested. Would be a great trip for my Colden Nomad. Not my usual wilderness type paddle, but could be interesting. Short days with an early stop are just my style. Have you got an idea on camping places and shuttle? I think I have a map of this trip somewhere that I bought a WPASCR.

Turtle,
I, too have a a trip guide (somewhere) but if I use anything, I use the FBC map that I posted earlier. I grew up 2 blocks from the river in Oil City. I've paddled it from Kinzua to Parker's landing. Depending on what distance we would do, shuttle would take 1 1/2-2 hours round trip. The entire stretch from Kinzua to Elemlenton (I-80) would be +/- 3 1/2 hrs. There are commercial shuttles available but not cheap. On occasion I've been able to get my brother or niece to shuttle since they live not too far away. And no, it's not wilderness but a pleasant paddle. Plenty of camping spots along most sections. If you want to talk, send me a PM and we can meet in Springville for coffee.
Jon

Grandpa & Turtle - Have you set any dates for this trip yet? Depending on when you're planning on going, I would be interested; especially if this were to be a mid-week trip. If you'd rather PM me with any details once they're set, that would be great. I'll stay out of the discussion until you have things ready to go from the logistics perspective as my involvement is tentative. I don't want to create any issues for you but once you know the deal, I'd be interested in finding it out. Thanks!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

I would be interested depending on the date. Have been wanting to do since I moved to ny

I would be interested.....Probably 12 years or so ago, I did a weekend paddle with a bunch of guys from Warren.....mid-May and the (?) mayfly hatch was on. If I didn't have a headnet on, I might have choked to death......Rick

Yes, The seller was motivated. He kept coming down in selling price, and negotiated with my son.

PM me, and I will tell you the final sale cost.

I'm waiting for softer water before I try it out.

I will be paddling a Wenonah Wilderness RX. Depending on the water level, the Allegheny can be scratchy in sections. I have tripped with guys paddling composites, they just take fewer chances than I take. Early/mid June it shouldn't be too bad, though. I really hate tripping with guys in higher end canoes, it makes me want to get a Colden Nomad:(.. Hope to have a tentative date (or 2) soon. Anybody have any preferences?

Back