• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Another Chestnut(?)

Things were going well, I managed to bend 6 new ribs without breaking any (post 61 of this thread), but in the end, installing them turned out to be more than I'm capable of anymore. Nailing in ribs requires one to hold that 4lb clinching iron up underneath the overturned canoe while hammering tacks from up above on the outside. While I could still do it, the quality of work was sadly lacking. I had an idea this was coming, the tacks in my new planking were just as bad.
I called my friend at Georges River Canoe and he will do the ribs and a small amount of planking in June.
I will finish it with sanding, varnish, canvas and paint this summer.
In the meantime, I have two other canoes to work on. I bought that solo Swift Heron from Yellowcanoe and a Spirt II from PaddlinHal. Both will look somewhat different when done, with bodywork, paint, and trim work.

lots of canoes.jpg

Things were going well, I managed to bend 6 new ribs without breaking any (post 61 of this thread), but in the end, installing them turned out to be more than I'm capable of anymore. Nailing in ribs requires one to hold that 4lb clinching iron up underneath the overturned canoe while hammering tacks from up above on the outside. While I could still do it, the quality of work was sadly lacking. I had an idea this was coming, the tacks in my new planking were just as bad.
I called my friend at Georges River Canoe and he will do the ribs and a small amount of planking in June.
I will finish it with sanding, varnish, canvas and paint this summer.
In the meantime, I have two other canoes to work on. I bought that solo Swift Heron from Yellowcanoe and a Spirt II from PaddlinHal. Both will look somewhat different when done, with bodywork, paint, and trim work.

View attachment 135416
They look like fun projects! Enjoy the work… always nice to read and see your updates and current projects.

Stupid question but did you try nailing the ribs with the boat rightside up? That way you don’t need to hold the weight of the bucking iron up and gravity helps. That’s to only way I’ve been able to rib repair a canoe without help which was most of the time. Don’t hesitate to ask me for help on site, I don’t live that far away and will work for food,lol.
Jim

Stupid question but did you try nailing the ribs with the boat rightside up? That way you don’t need to hold the weight of the bucking iron up and gravity helps. That’s to only way I’ve been able to rib repair a canoe without help which was most of the time. Don’t hesitate to ask me for help on site, I don’t live that far away and will work for food,lol.
Jim

Yes, I tried that too, but not much difference. Bending over and stretching out is just too much for me anymore. Thanks for the offer but I have already committed to have the shop do it and I better stay in good standing with him, I’m not getting younger… haha

Back