• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Another canoe in deer hunt at Lows Lake, NY

Reaction score
2 years ago I spent a week canoeing/camping/hunting at Lows Lake during the last week of October (the first week of deer rifle season in northern NY). I returned this past week and tried it again. I again stayed at the same site that I stayed at 2 years ago, #35, which is the furthest western south shore site on the lake. It took me about 5 hours to get to the site from the put in, I arrived at 5pm and had camp set up before dark. Luckily I had brought a bag of scrap hardwood kiln dried lumber for a safety net in the event I wasn't able to find some firewood for my small wood stove the first night. I cook and keep warm with it the stove, so it paid off. I sleep without heat, so it didn't require much wood to get me till bedtime.
2 years ago I had some weather issues, but this year the weather was a big factor. One day I was completely shut down with wind and rain, most days it rained off and on, I saw sleet and the last day it was near 60.
I planned on staying 7 days but the weather radio predicted cold temps and rain after the warm 60 degree Tuesday so I pulled out on the 5th day.
Hunting was pretty much a bust, no sooner would I head out when the heavens would open up, the wind pick up and I'd head back to the site wet and ready to sit by the warm stove.
I did meet Dawn, the Assistant Forest Ranger who patrols the lake. She told me I had the place to myself and she said she remembered me from 2 years ago. She's a nice lady and we had a pleasant conversation. She said they are trying to encourage more camping on the south shore, but the wind can be an issue there. I like the Tomar Mt. and Tomar Pond area, so I'm willing chance the wind, unfortunately this year I came up short.

Here are some pictures, most probably look similar to 2 years ago, not much has changed.(except me)

Here's my little tent, wood stove pumping out the heat. It had an interior frame that helps make for a quick set up

The first morning things looked good, plenty of sunshine

Tomar Pond

Soon a front came in and things changed,

No worry, some Brats, carrots and a beer,

And the next morning a fine breakfast,

panorama of my tent interior,

climbing Tomar Mt with some impresive hardwoods,

relaxing with a good book by the wood stove and candelight,

Last edited:
That hot tenting looks good. You sure eat well out there! I understand how the stove pipes fold away, but tell me, does the stove break down into sections, or does it travel all in one piece? I see you have a wannigan. Nice way to carry the kitchen and food stuffs.
Thanks Robin. It looked peaceful out there.

Robin,

Looks like you had a great time despite the rain and lack of game.
We stayed at that same site in spring of '13 while doing the Lila to Bog River Flow traverse.
How was your paddle on the way home?

I have the wander lust bad ... it is going to be a LOOOOOONG winter - I should not look at your posts they are killing me .... but it seems I am powerless to resist. Great pics Robin. I think because of my knee issues, I did not get much of a chance to "scratch my itch" much this summer and am craving the wilderness big time.

I liked the wannigan in the pictures, do you carry it with a tump?

Great pictures and story. Have a safe hunting season Robin.

Bob.

Just curious, not being a hunter, how would you get a big deer out of there with all that voluminous and heavy gear in a solo canoe? Can you hack it into pieces in the woods and just bring out parts?

Robin,

How was your paddle on the way home?

I paddled out Tuesday, that was the last warm day predicted so I took advantage of it. I left about noon and hugged the south shore sight seeing and looking for future deer prospects. The lake was dead calm, beautiful day to be there. I got to my truck just as it was getting dark...and cold. I took a ton of video that day and will post a report sometime down the road.

Robin - Thanks for sharing your photos and adventure. I really enjoy the idea of hot tenting and seeing your photos the last couple of years makes it seem very doable. Can you give us an idea on the tent you have? Did you retrofit it for hot tenting or did it come ready with the stovepipe access, etc. Also, I remember you saying previously that you made an interior frame for your tent which begs the question; what make/model tent is it? Do you feel it's more stable with the interior framework or just easier to pitch? Last one for now (I promise), what's the overall weight/size of your tent; I apologize if you've already given us that and I missed it.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

I have the wander lust bad ... it is going to be a LOOOOOONG winter -

I liked the wannigan in the pictures, do you carry it with a tump?

Great pictures and story. Have a safe hunting season Robin.

Bob.

Hang in there Bob, hope your knee gets better soon, I feel very blessed to have good health. I didn't use a tump for the wannigan, I had one portage and I brought a cart so the box was in the canoe there. I used the tie down straps for my roof racks to keep the lid tight while paddling.

Just curious, not being a hunter, how would you get a big deer out of there with all that voluminous and heavy gear in a solo canoe? Can you hack it into pieces in the woods and just bring out parts?

Connecticut does not allow the importation of a whole deer carcass from NY due to Chronic Wasting Disease, (CWD), so the options are to drop the deer at a butcher before getting to Ct., or boning out the deer before arriving in Ct.
I had a few options,
One, if I did shot a deer deep in the woods, and ADK deer are known for 2 things, few and far between, and big, dragging it out to my canoe alone would have been an issue, loading it another, but all possible. I had pulleys, but it no doubt would have taken two trips to get it out to my truck, maybe leap frogging the deer/gear on my way back. Really too much for me at this stage of the game.
It would still have to be boned before entering Ct., which I do myself here at home for Ct. shot deer, so I doubt I would have gone that route.
The real option I planned on using was to hang the deer in the woods, remove the hindquarter meat, backstraps, tenderloins, front shoulder meat and any other good meat I could get, no bones. I carried bags and equipment in my canoe, just in case. The deer carcass would be left in the woods.
In the event the canoe was overloaded, I would have probably stashed gear to be picked up at a later date, cot, stove etc.

That hot tenting looks good. You sure eat well out there! I understand how the stove pipes fold away, but tell me, does the stove break down into sections, or does it travel all in one piece? I see you have a wannigan. Nice way to carry the kitchen and food stuffs.
Thanks Robin. It looked peaceful out there.

The stove packs out whole, the pipes go inside, the legs fold flat and the tent, stove, tarp, ropes and the 6 angel pieces fit inside a #3 Duluth Pack.

I like to eat, I guess it shows, and Yes, it was very peaceful out the.

Sounds like you got some nice solo time in. Too bad the weather wasn't better.

Good thing the tent was warm and dry. Looks like good eats for sure.

A coworker of mine has been hunting with the same four guys for over a decade in the Adirondacks and they have maybe dragged out a combined total of six deer. The last one was truly huge. Not an easy place to hunt but there must be something about the place that everyone keeps returning.

Super post! The pics, the commentary and the trip all make for a great read. Thank ya for the post, sir :)

Thanks for the great post, Robin. You make late season canoeing look luxurious. Really like the panoramic view of your tent interior and looking forward to a future video.

Some great photos there.. some great vista and some detailed shots showing how your camp works. great stuff cheers

In spite of the weather you had a terrific trip to an area I visit at least once or twice a year for the past 24 years to train wilderness trek leader guides. It is a wonderful area, especially when you have it all to yourself. Being prepared makes all the difference.

Dawn is nice enough so she probably wouldn't object too much out loud... but please note that her official title is Assistant Forest Ranger, not "junior ranger". Her job is to patrol Lows to protect the environment and to assist and educate visitors, and to report to her assigned area Forest Ranger, Will. Will's coverage area is much larger, so he pretty much leaves the duties on Lows to Dawn unless there is a major problem. She does this remarkably well and with incredible dedication. It is a rare trip that I don't see her (she does have an occasional day off), as she lives with her family within walking distance of the lake. She is easy to recognize paddling in her green kayak with bright yellow paddle blades.

See:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/41112.html
http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/41120.html

Last edited:
Nice outfit by Robin. What is old is new again.
I used to paddle a Sawyer Charger which I definitely miss. The advertisement brochure for it showed 2 guys with a boned out moose in it. Big canoes can carry a lot of weight.

Tomorrow is the 150th Birthday of the State of Nevada. We are having a big party out back. The wall tent and wood stove will be up. chance of rain and snow. The best parties are the ones with bad weather when people come together in a tent. They remember it better. Basque food and good whiskey. Home Means Nevada.

I was deer hunting in the Toiyabe Range of central Nevada with a friend a couple of years ago. Our camp was in the aspens at 8,800 feet. "How long do you like to stay out on a deer hunt?" I asked. "Until I get one" he answered.

Last edited:
Back