• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

ALPS Mountaineering Tent

Wow. That’s scary. All about luck sometimes. Whew. Pop up storm?
About 10 days ago I picked up the same tent for our daughter. The NF tent i gave her is to large for certain trips.

bought an Alps Zephyr 3-man tent from Sierra Trading Post for $80 once, when we needed another tent in a hurry for a Boy Scout backpack trip. I tend to tent-obsessions, researching and testing exhaustively, so it was very strange just to go out and.. buy a tent.. It's become my favorite tent, 6lbs, goes up quickly and easily, has withstood severe weather thunderstorms winds and day-long downpours, while still having great breathability for those desert canyon river camps (Colorado, Gunnison, etc).
Went to look, and the company is still run by the founder's children, not yet swallowed up by yet another giant conglomerate corporation. I'd buy Alps again..

Wow. That’s scary. All about luck sometimes. Whew. Pop up storm?
About 10 days ago I picked up the same tent for our daughter. The NF tent i gave her is to large for certain trips.
We new there might be thunderstorms, but I did not expect the hail and wind. The Acropolis 4 is very light weight. It is lighter and more compact than my Eureka 2-man, which has been a great tent for many years now. I hope they still make it because I would like to get another one just like it when I finally have to take it down for the last time.

I needed to find a lightweight quick to erect wind stable tent for me and one other paddler to take on our first Yukon 1000 mile canoe race. I noticed at the time the Alps Zephyr solo was on sale from cheapandcheap, so I bought two of them. They worked very well for us during two consecutive 1000 milers. Later I bought a not much heavier Zephyr 3-man for general more spacious use. I like that one very much too. Although I am 90% a hammock hang camper, a hammock is not an option on the gravel shores of the far north river.

I needed to find a lightweight quick to erect wind stable tent for me and one other paddler to take on our first Yukon 1000 mile canoe race. I noticed at the time the Alps Zephyr solo was on sale from cheapandcheap, so I bought two of them. They worked very well for us during two consecutive 1000 milers. Later I bought a not much heavier Zephyr 3-man for general more spacious use. I like that one very much too. Although I am 90% a hammock hang camper, a hammock is not an option on the gravel shores of the far north river.
That sounds like an awesome trip. The longest race I am aware of down here is the Texas Water Safari on the San Marcos river. It is 262 miles and must be completed in 48 hours. You can't sleep and people have been found up in trees clucking like chickens from being delirious with exhaustion.
I've used both tents and hammocks. I actually prefer the tent with a Klymit static v sleeping pad. Hammocks are too much work if I am taking several of my children along. We also get a lot of dew down here, so if I don't want to wake up soaking wet I have to use a rain fly.

o my.. My day trips involve walking out the front door down our right of way. 700 feet. Pick up the canoe off the rack and carry it 40 feet. Plop. in the drink off the dock.

That sounds like an awesome trip. The longest race I am aware of down here is the Texas Water Safari on the San Marcos river. It is 262 miles and must be completed in 48 hours. You can't sleep and people have been found up in trees clucking like chickens from being delirious with exhaustion.
I've used both tents and hammocks. I actually prefer the tent with a Klymit static v sleeping pad. Hammocks are too much work if I am taking several of my children along. We also get a lot of dew down here, so if I don't want to wake up soaking wet I have to use a rain fly.
Awesome does not begin to describe wonders of the Yukon 1000 mile race. A big brother and more than double the length of the Yukon River Quest 440 mile. you don't camp during the YRQ, although the race rules require a tent be part of your emergency kit. The 1000 takes a minimum of six days to complete, so yes, you must stop to sleep.

As a matter of fact my first 1000 miler was paddled in what is affecdtionatly known as the "Texan", a 34 foot long carbon graphite voyageur canoe built for 7 or more paddlers (we reconfigured it for just 7). It was built and owned by Richard Ameen, from Texas, who is known in the TWS (but not in this boat). He also has is also a smaller C4 version for the Yukon.

Awesome does not begin to describe wonders of the Yukon 1000 mile race. A big brother and more than double the length of the Yukon River Quest 440 mile. you don't camp during the YRQ, although the race rules require a tent be part of your emergency kit. The 1000 takes a minimum of six days to complete, so yes, you must stop to sleep.

As a matter of fact my first 1000 miler was paddled in what is affecdtionatly known as the "Texan", a 34 foot long carbon graphite voyageur canoe built for 7 or more paddlers (we reconfigured it for just 7). It was built and owned by Richard Ameen, from Texas, who is known in the TWS (but not in this boat). He also has is also a smaller C4 version for the Yukon.
Very cool! I have seen those on the San Marcos river. Actually, in this little clip the reason I say, "go Lilly go!" is because there is one coming down the river fast and I wanted her to jump before they go too close.
This is the river they do the Texas Water Safari on.

Water tested! Rained app 2” other night when camped out on Second Roach in Maine with Robin. I had a few spoonfuls of water. Probably from black tag with grommet that the cross pole goes into. Could use a little seam sealing. I give it an A!

Back