• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Algonquin late august

Reaction score
Have permits for Algonquin August 22-29. Put in at site 6. Small loop with total of app 4 miles portages.
Wife not happy I'm solo as of now
PM me if interested. Thanks

Go ahead twist my arm. Traveling every day? Down days? 7 days may be a little long for myself right now, is a turnaround possible for myself after a few days? Loop, so take out same as put in?

Last edited:
Yes to all. Short paddles, going counter clockwise as per Kevin's suggestion in his book. I'm sure stronger faster paddlers can do this in 3 days or even quicker. I want to relax and smell the roses and enjoy the stars before going back into the city.

That's the best way to do it, and next year i'll add it to my planning.

Last edited:
Site 6? If you mean entry point 6?
Smoke down to Louisa? If so some interesting portages
YC can you offer advise? I did read about the first part going uphill in Kevin's book. I have Jeff's maps and will carefully look at the elevation. Anyway no rush and I will take plenty of pictures while resting on the carries.

Some years ago I took a route Smoke to Bonnechere to Louisa to Head Cache it was six days and while the portages were short for the most part some are straight up and down. Rod and Gun Lake is Much higher than the others
Don't know if that is your route as there are about six variations

Trust me!...anyone who decides to join Coldfeet to Algonquin will have the time of their lives! :D:cool::D:cool: I was invited to go and normally would never pass up on an opportunity like this, especially with him, but unfortunately I cannot make it this one :(. He a trusted companion on and off the water!

Last edited:
That's awesome! Enjoy!
If you see him packing his banjo though...just make sure you sleep with one eye open ;)

Flute? Banjo? Hokay visions of trappings too heavy and bulky left along the Oregon Trail
Plus you'll either drown out or rile the wolves and loons

So then maybe I should pack my flute?

Exactly...and if I was fortunate enough to join you guys, I'd bring the harmonica!
Can't guarantee it would sound like music though :eek:
Good times LOL

Last edited:
Flute? More like a recorder that I had to learn when becoming a school teacher. I'm working on my whistling skills to travel lighter :)

Got a couple of videos . Is this your route?
I only linked to two..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUqcBU_eM7A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvZfs0S_ESg

Devils Staircase wasnt bad. The 420 to Rod and Gun in May was knee deep and steep. UP. The 510 just south is a lovely wide downhill trail. I was surprised to see a road sign warning of a road crossing. they are on the ground as you will be looking at your feet.

Get a preview!

I am glad never to have to do that one again! Rod and Gun is a lovely lake though.
Ha Ha I can now watch on You Tube instead

We just did those carries in and out of Rod & Gun (S to N) a couple weeks ago and did find them all that bad. There was some ups and downs, but they were dry, well maintained and only 4-500 meters.

One of them recently had a lot of boardwalks added.

Last edited:
Put in at Smoke, paddle through Ragged to Big Porcupine into north Grace. Then into Lake Louisa up to Lawrence then west into Kirkwood back into Big Porcupine then back to Smoke. I can't wait.

Meanwhile two of my children are in Taiwan now vacationing and sent me a pic of them in what looks like a dugout canoe drinking out of a coconut. Hope that's me next year!

Back