• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Algonquin late august

then you will have the more gradual ascent to Rod and Gun and the steep on the downhill

you still have a lot of long portages.. Either way you go.. through Mc Garvey.. nasty one there Better through Lost Shoe. This is a doable five day trip if you single carry. Not so double carrying.. in that case not much rest This is an area of pretty good elevation changes.

Oops just realized kids are in Tailand. And it's my sons 24 th birthday. Happy birthday Jordan! Just a shot out to him.
I'm going to take it nice and easy on both the portages and paddle. Plenty of down time. Thanks for info. Also trying to read distance on Jeff's maps and it's confusing. Will loo at the park map also.

My take on double portaging ( if that is what you have to do) is limit to five or 3000 meters whatever comes first. In other parks like Temagami ( Algonquin on Steroids) I limit to two.
Take plenty of water.. It can be hot and slight dehydration will sap your energy.
Of course I think you will have fun but might have less down time than you expect.

The Algo has a dome that slopes west to east.Rugged and higher in the west tapering to lower in the east.
Smoke can be a beast in the PM and an easy paddle in the AM. Louisa you can island hide. Did you get a couple of days there? I loved that lake and have been there three times from various angles. I like Parkside Bay of Ragged too.

Just one night on Louisa and I took two nights on Big Porcupine which Kevin suggested after hearing all of the loons during the late summer. I'm lucky that a fellow poster on Adkforum is also interested in going. Always nice to get other folks knowledge on places.

Just one night on Louisa and I took two nights on Big Porcupine which Kevin suggested after hearing all of the loons during the late summer. I'm lucky that a fellow poster on Adkforum is also interested in going. Always nice to get other folks knowledge on places.

if all you want is loons you can find them a bit closer.. We have quite a few here..occasionally noisy but you do know that they do go from lake to lake.. Can't guarantee that there will be any on Big Porcupine on your nights. Cant guarantee there wont be either..
Kevin was at Maine Canoe Symposium this year.. We needled him a bit about his books as there are occasionally changes or errors in them. Don't think that his advice is gospel. He would tell you the same thing.

if all you want is loons you can find them a bit closer.. We have quite a few here..occasionally noisy but you do know that they do go from lake to lake.. Can't guarantee that there will be any on Big Porcupine on your nights. Cant guarantee there wont be either..
Kevin was at Maine Canoe Symposium this year.. We needled him a bit about his books as there are occasionally changes or errors in them. Don't think that his advice is gospel. He would tell you the same thing.

Man on man... stop with the spoilers... regardless of what is encountered it should be a good memorable time; loons or no loons, difficult single or double portages or not, rain or shine, wind or calm.

Or 4 to 5.59 miles of portages...

Last edited:
Not a spoiler. People sometimes expect loons and moose. Particularly moose. Its just a reality check.Now what is on the menu?

You will see loons somewhere. I love watching them..

I cant however figure out how you got four miles portaging on your route. I got 9000 meters just single portaging and that works out to about six miles.

Last edited:
No Title

Re what's on the menu:
For suppers I'll be picking from my current inventory at least one of each of the following:
  • Cous Cous with Chicken & Veggies
  • Thai Peanut Noodles with Chicken & Veggies
  • Fiesta Rice with Chicken & Corn
  • Cous Cous with Apricots, Macadamia Nuts & Chicken
  • Creamy Alfredo Noodles with Mushrooms & Pine Nuts
  • Curry Rice with Chicken & Cashews (recipies: http://www.theyummylife.com/Instant_Meals_On_The_Go)
I plan on fishing and would like fish one night but don't expect or plan on it.

I'm working on my breakfast/lunches but they will include buckwheat bannock, muelsi mix, cheese, PBJ, hommade Gorp, etc.
Flavored powdered drink mixes, coffee and Knobs Creek.

Attachments

• photo4910.jpg
    photo4910.jpg
    405.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Re what's on the menu:
For suppers I'll be picking from my current inventory at least one of each of the following:
  • Cous Cous with Chicken & Veggies
  • Thai Peanut Noodles with Chicken & Veggies
  • Fiesta Rice with Chicken & Corn
  • Cous Cous with Apricots, Macadamia Nuts & Chicken
  • Creamy Alfredo Noodles with Mushrooms & Pine Nuts
  • Curry Rice with Chicken & Cashews (recipies: http://www.theyummylife.com/Instant_Meals_On_The_Go)
I plan on fishing and would like fish one night but don't expect or plan on it.

I'm working on my breakfast/lunches but they will include buckwheat bannock, muelsi mix, cheese, PBJ, hommade Gorp, etc.
Flavored powdered drink mixes, coffee and Knobs Creek.

Re theyummylife...Interesting. So you assemble yourself? You use ziplocks?
Cost-wise, is it less expensive than Mountain House et al?

Last edited:
Re theyummylife...Interesting. So you assemble yourself? You use ziplocks?
Cost-wise, is it less expensive than Mountain House et al?

Yes, I put them together and use a Ziploc vacuum sealer. I have no idea on the cost comparison to Mountain House but would guess it's less expensive putting them together yourself. More cost on the initial purchases but less in the long run and I control the ingredients which means I usually add less sugar’s and salts per the recipe and more veggies and meats.

Great trip! Bioguide is da man! Back in the jungle now and need a day or two to write up trip report. My wife keeps telling me that I owe her big time. waaaa Thanks to all for sharing their knowledge, will send out pm's soon.

Then you will need a fly in budget. Wabakimi is accessible by a day's paddle in or drop off in the middle of night by rail. Via schedule isn't cooperative.
There are some areas of waterfalls and cliffs but it's quite a bit flatter than Algonquin with a couple of notable exceptions.

Portages are not maintained to the clearness of Algonquin as the boreal is subject to blow downs
Uncle Phils crews can do only so much. Wabakimi is vast.
I've been there a dozen times. Opasquia none z

Then you will need a fly in budget. Wabakimi is accessible by a day's paddle in or drop off in the middle of night by rail. Via schedule isn't cooperative.
There are some areas of waterfalls and cliffs but it's quite a bit flatter than Algonquin with a couple of notable exceptions.

Portages are not maintained to the clearness of Algonquin as the boreal is subject to blow downs
Uncle Phils crews can do only so much. Wabakimi is vast.
I've been there a dozen times. Opasquia none z

Yup...the stars (my resources) are finally aligning as the north country has always had a solid hold on me. I look forward to the planning stage... Cheers.

Back