• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Algonquin - Big Trout Loop (sort of)

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I did a four day trip up to Big Trout over the long weekend. It was a really fun trip, despite the crowds and a paddle that decided to take early retirement on Grassy Bay. Trip report is up now.

Drew

Drew,

I just finished your entertaining report. Thanks. I’m curious, though, why no one of four paddlers had a spare paddle. Is this your usual approach, or was it an oversight? Was it an ottertail paddle that snapped in two? I sometimes wonder what I would do if I suddenly found myself without a paddle on a canoe trip. I’m thinking I could always fashion a paddle out of a wide-ish piece of drift wood. Would that have been possible?

That was thoroughly enjoyable, and the humorous word play point-of-view entertaining. Reminiscent of episodes on my own trips with friends.

Although I always* have a spare paddle, or actually, two spares since I habitually carry a single and double blade and could use half the double if necessary, it got me thinking about repairing a paddle broken inconveniently at the throat; a partially broken blade, if most of it was left, or a shaft somehow broken just below the grip would be easier to remedy in the field or use as is.

I do always have duct tape, and Zip-ties, and a bit of epoxy.

*Er, not “aways”. A “Broken Paddle” thread may be in order.

Oh wow, I'm way behind on answering this thread. My apologies and thank you everyone for the comments. The very late answer to your question, PaddlingPitt, is that it was just dumb on my part. I started out taking a spare paddle on every trip, then somewhere along the way I got sick of carrying a (not at all) redundant piece of equipment and dropped the spare. By the time this trip happened I hadn't brought a spare in years.

Back