• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

Alan Gage Makes News

+3
A well deserved tribute, and inspiration !
Great feat Alan !

Jim

Thanks! It was fun. They saw me post pictures of a couple of my boats at BWCA.com and asked if I'd be willing to be in the "Reader's Rides" section. I was happy with it though I wish I could have proof read it before it was printed. Nothing major, just a couple small corrections like when I told her there were over 100 portages she interpreted it as "there were portages over 100 rods."

Beautiful boat Alan-- congratulations! What are its general dimensions?

16.5'x30" and about 26" at the gunwales if I remember correctly. Its distinguishing characteristics are extreme flare in the bow to shed waves and to give Sadie plenty of room since she's crammed way up front. It's also pretty sleek below the water line as I wanted speed for upstream travel. Despite being a pretty high volume boat it's just a shade slower than my Bell Magic. I can't tell a difference when cruising but it sprints .1mph slower when unloaded.

It held 30 days of gear and food for me and Sadie without problem. Might try for 45 days worth this summer.

Bloodvein sections by Alan, on Flickr

Bloodvein above by Alan, on Flickr

Bloodvein profile by Alan, on Flickr

Bloodvein below by Alan, on Flickr

The waterline shown there is with about 360 pounds total load.

I'm making a composite version this winter. A little more rocker and less blunt entry in the bow and stern which took about 1" off the water line.

Alan

Last edited:
Thanks! It was fun. They saw me post pictures of a couple of my boats at BWCA.com and asked if I'd be willing to be in the "Reader's Rides" section. I was happy with it though I wish I could have proof read it before it was printed. Nothing major, just a couple small corrections like when I told her there were over 100 portages she interpreted it as "there were portages over 100 rods."

Alan, very cool. Having something for canoe trippers in C&K is almost enough to make me renew my subscription.

If all that came off twisted were minor corrections you must have had a good connection with the C&K staffer.

The C&K guys who moved over when Paddler folded, Jeff Moag, Joe Carberry and Eugene Buchanan, are among my favorite people in the paddlesport industry.

Alan, very cool. Having something for canoe trippers in C&K is almost enough to make me renew my subscription.

I believe the section I was in is on-line only.....and they've featured kayaks too. ;)

I got along quite well with the gal who did the article. Forgot her name but when I googled her she seems to be a fairly well known children's author.

Alan

I think alot of folks here, including myself, where happy to see the recognition. It was an excellent build thread and the the TR Video's where amazing, I kinda felt like I(we) where being interviewed by C&K too, Thanks for taking us along on the build and trip, makes me feel good about the site in a funny way, fwiw

It was an amazing build thread, and an incredible trip. I liked how Alan described the reasons for his designs. I'm not well versed in these things but enjoy learning nevertheless. I'm keeping up with the second epic build too, as well as everyone else's, even though I'm fairly quiet. Quietly enjoying them. All of these boat builds (and other DIYs) are an excellent chapter resource to this forum and the paddling community at large. Bravo Robin.

Like every one above said!! I really like to follow Alan's build threads, you are one talented and fearless man(maybe you get scared in the dark or you are scared of spiders, but you sure ain't scared of tackling a project that uses new techniques to you!!) Keep up the good work, you are for sure an inspiration to many!!

Back