• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Adjust Image Size

I was on my iPad, not my computer. I can't seem to find a way to view image size on my iPad. I air dropped to my iMac, and the image is 3.4 mb. I know that I can always downsize the images on my iPad before posting, but the previous website, whose name won't be mentioned, gave my options, whereas this one does not. Reducing the image size on the iPad is not real easy, but I will try. I am on my iMac now, but will go back to the iPad to reduce.

Am back on my iPad, which does not seem to have a way to reduce pixels or bytes. All I can do is crop. I downloaded a free app called “Image Size,” which does allow me to reduce pixels and bytes, but very irritating ads kept popping up. I was asked if I wanted to eliminate adds. I naturally clicked yes, to learn that I would have to pay a fee. I deleted the app.

VBulletin had a nice feature that when one selected an image from the Photo Library, you were asked if you wanted to select small, medium, large or actual size. The software did the resizing quickly and easily. My iPad takes images greater than 3 mb, which means that I can not easily post iPad images. I would have to airdrop to the Mac, and resize there. Not likely going to happen very often.

I emailed the image to myself, which automatically reduced the size. Then I saved it to Photos. That was not actually very difficult, and I can now upload it to our website. This is our camp last week in Drumheller, Alberta. Our 1990 Van performed well, out to BC and back again to Saskatchewan.

Problem seems to be more or less solved. Although the clarity was much reduced. I will try emailing a larger image.

F1783F12-8365-4FF5-8C13-D393668605B1.jpeg

Last edited:
Paddling Pitt, try your 3.4 MB image again via the Insert Image (mountain) button. I changed the controls to accept up to 7 MB images but hopefully to resize them to a max of 1000x1000 pixels.

Here's a 4000x3000 pixel, 4.5MB picture I just dragged onto the upload box using the Insert Image button. It was not rejected as being too large and seems to have been resized to 1000x750 and 330KB.

DSCN2404.JPG

Trying an iPhone XR running iOS 14.7.1. No drama.
View attachment 126955

Yours was reduced to 1000x750 also.

I think my new settings may work to accept photos up to 7MB in size and then reduce them to no more than 1000x1000, which seems plenty big for this site. Maybe I should reduce the max size down to 800x800. Well, I'd like others to experiment more with pictures first.

Glenn: Whatever you did worked for me. This is the full sized picture that would not upload for me earlier today because it was too big. This time it uploaded fine and the software seems to have automatically resized it.

I really like the ability to quickly change the display size by dragging a corner of the picture after it's been inserted. Now if we could figure out where the rotate feature is.

20200912_124403.jpg

Yours was reduced to 1000x750 also.

I think my new settings may work to accept photos up to 7MB in size and then reduce them to no more than 1000x1000, which seems plenty big for this site. Maybe I should reduce the max size down to 800x800. Well, I'd like others to experiment more with pictures first.
It was originally 3.5 MB in size. The fact that the forum software can resize things on the fly is a nice feature.

Now if we could figure out where the rotate feature is.
Well a quick search and it appears it simply isn't available on Xenforo. This is the first post I found on it (didn't look any further). https://xenforo.com/community/threads/rotate-image-by-user-before-pressing-post-thread.181585/

To summarize the post Xenforo is supposed to read the EXIF data attached to the picture and automatically orient the photo. If it doesn't there is not a way to manually do it. Or maybe there kind of this: someone in that thread linked to a Xenforo add-on that allows photo rotation. I looked at it briefly and am unsure if it only gives the Admin the ability to rotate images or if anyone can do it. https://xenforo.com/community/resources/rotate.5643/

Uploading a vertical picture for testing:

cowboy jace.jpg

It seemed to automatically recognize the orientation for me. Perhaps the EXIF data was wiped out or never existed on the other photos that were showing up sideways. Hopefully it won't be a common issue going forward.

EXIF data is the instructions/information your phone/camera attaches to the photo so other programs know how to handle it.

Alan

Well a quick search and it appears it simply isn't available on Xenforo. This is the first post I found on it (didn't look any further). https://xenforo.com/community/threads/rotate-image-by-user-before-pressing-post-thread.181585/

To summarize the post Xenforo is supposed to read the EXIF data attached to the picture and automatically orient the photo. If it doesn't there is not a way to manually do it. Or maybe there kind of this: someone in that thread linked to a Xenforo add-on that allows photo rotation. I looked at it briefly and am unsure if it only gives the Admin the ability to rotate images or if anyone can do it. https://xenforo.com/community/resources/rotate.5643/
A work around is when you go to upload, if you see the photo isn't properly rotated on the Forum, delete the photo from the post. Then, on your computer or phone, edit the photo by rotating 90 degrees and then repost.

View attachment 126977
Same picture I previously posted and this time the forum automatically resized from 6.8mb and it didn’t auto rotate it on its side.

Yes, my changes seem to be working to accept up to 7MB photos -- you almost reached it with 6.8 MB -- and reduced your height to 1000 (the set max), width to 750, and file size to 208 KB. Don't really understand whether XF will properly rotate yet, but thank Alan for the research, alsg for the workaround, and everyone who keeps experimenting.

View attachment 126980

I attached this image, which was 3.4 mb, and it uploaded as 215 kB. Whatever you did, Glenn, it worked!

Good to see, Michael, but when you say you "attached", did you use the Insert Image (mountain) button or the Attach Files (paperclip) button?

I'm trying to get a handle on the various ways to append a photo. I don't think anyone in this thread has yet has tried linking a photo from an outside source, like a photo site, which should also work.

Edit: Oops, Waterdog just did a link photo as I was posting.

Back