• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Adjust Image Size

Reaction score
I tried to attach an image from my iPad, just to see if I could. But the site did not seem to give me an option to reduce the image size, which left it too large to be uploaded. Any suggestions?

Ok, so when I first tried to attach that picture it came up with an error that the file size was too large. So I resized it to 1500 pixels and tried again. This time it uploaded and went in the post just fine but, like you said, it was a bit too large. So then I clicked on the photo and it put a blue border around it with dots at the corners. I was able to click and drag one of these corner dots to resize it. When I initially clicked the image in addition to the blue border with dots another bar popped up with some other photo editing options that I didn't mess with.

Alan

I tried to attach an image from my iPad, just to see if I could. But the site did not seem to give me an option to reduce the image size, which left it too large to be uploaded. Any suggestions?
What is the size of the image you were trying to upload: pixel height x width, and also total kilo or megabytes?

From my phone I selected “show image” then clicked on “actual size” and I got an option to resize. Which I did and it worked except the image is sideways.
I took a look at the editing functions and didn't see one to rotate, which seems odd.

The reason your photo comes out sideways is that your camera attached a little bit of information to your photo indicating that it was taken vertical rather than horizontal. Some software can read this note from your camera and others can't. Apparently this one can't so it just goes to the default of horizontal.

Alan

Posting pictures is crucial to this site, so you folks keep experimenting with picture sizes and resizing. This will help figure out procedures and solutions by trial and error.

Meanwhile, in my administrative controls -- 90% of which I don't yet understand -- I can see that the maximum attachment size is set to 1024 KB, while there is no size limit on image width and height. I can adjust all these things, but I'd rather see some more experimentation with these default values.

Mem's, Alan's and Al's images were all below 1024 KB, so I'm still wondering about the size of Michael's that failed for being too large.

Here's a test. 4032 x 3024, 1.7 MB Drag and drop from my Mac. No issues even though larger than 1024 KB.

1F3074B1-52C9-4385-9F53-4B38CB1AE788_1_105_c.jpeg

When I emailed the image to myself, it said the size was 147 kB, which is not large at all. When the site tried to load it as an attachment, it said the image was 3.1 mb, which is very large. I hit Attach files, and then select photo library. I then select the image, and click Add. This seems to be straightforward, unless I am misunderstanding aomething.

I will try adding an image from my Mac.

When I download this image, I'm told it's 1024x768 and 226 KB. Hmm . . . maybe the XF software resized it.
I believe that's very likely. I received no message that it was oversized and did not resize it myself and when I click on the original image that resides on my computer, I'm still getting the dimensions/file size I reported.

I just tried adding the image again from my iPad. But this time I clicked on the mountain icon, which said drop or drag image here, which I did, it seemed to be loading, but then said image too large.

When I emailed the image to myself, it said the size was 147 kB, which is not large at all. When the site tried to load it as an attachment, it said the image was 3.1 mb, which is very large.
Emailing may shrink it. Can't you just look at its size on your computer under Properties?

I've tried embedding pix from my computer over 1mb using the picture icon and I get rejected for being too large.

We'll figure it out. But I have to keep a limit on size for pix that are uploaded to our server; otherwise, we'll run out of space and have to pay for more storage. Pix can be reduced in size on computers and phones fairly easily.

afe0d5c6-5c71-485f-9793-5dadc546c4a0-jpeg.126943

Attachments

• 63FB8DB3-4B93-4687-B767-DB114EDA1EE8.jpeg
    63FB8DB3-4B93-4687-B767-DB114EDA1EE8.jpeg
    669.4 KB · Views: 5
I’m on iPhone and couldn’t post original size at 6.8mb. Size in post above is large on my phone (900kb). It inserted sideways and I wasn’t able to rotate it. First attempt for me.

barry

The following is not an official Xenforo solution for large pictures, but I may try it:

That is, I may try to set the maximum attachment size to about 5MB but then limit the maximum pixel size to something like 1200x1200, in the hopes that XF will automatically resize the very large photos.

(P.S. Personally, I think taking phone photos at super high pixel resolution is a waste, unless you are going to blow the pictures up to poster size.)

Back