• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Adirondack leantos

Interesting and thanks for the heads up. I did not know that. I’ve set up my tent absent tarp in lean-tos on
both St. Regis Pond and Fish Pond. I guess I’m lucky a Ranger never came by.

Currently I work with the "Adopt a Lean-to" program in Region 4 in NYS. In the Catskills, the program is a cooperative venture between DEC and the NY-NJ Trail Conference (it's between DEC & the Adirondack Mt. Club in the Adirondacks). Anyway, it's amazing how some shelters always appear to be inviting and in pristine condition while others look run down and not very attractive. Typically it's the shelters closest to the parking lot that are in the latter category. Nonetheless, I've spent many an enjoyable evening in a lean-to be it in the Catskills or Adirondacks. Nothing like falling asleep to rain falling on the roof as you're snug and warm in your sleeping bag. What a wonderful, luxurious treat.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

The lean2rescue work team, along with the Adirondack Education Center (Boces) students from Saranac Lake will be working on a new leanto materials assembly project and the team will also wok to refurbish the Weller Pond leanto during the next month.

We used to use them in Virginia on the AT when I was a kid. Great in heavy rain storms. I did not like the mice running around all night.
The West has few equivalents. A few huts, some fire towers. Mostly you are on your own.
Used one once on Mount Washington. Fortunately there were no mouse issues

Back