• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Adirondack Gathering October 6,7,8 & 9th- 2017

Was debating Lows, Lila, or the St Regis (brain is trying to kill me, telling me "sure... you can do the loop in a Chum... you've still got it.") No, i do not.

I did the St Regis 9 carries this summer and it was tough in a certain area where it was flooded with rocks, roots and mud. Took a nice fall and the boat landed with a thump on it's side, no cracks luckily and that was with a 28lb boat. My Chum will be ready next Spring probably and no portages for me unless I'm using wheels.

Seeker, my daughter is in her last year also but over in Ohio, I would have liked to have attended one of those football games standing with the kids the whole time...I do not have that in me either!

As of now I'm a "go" for the outing! Health and happiness to all.

20 days! Colors are starting to change in the high peaks. I have too much vacation time left and depending on weather, I may head up to the area on Wed.

Last edited:
I did the St Regis 9 carries this summer and it was tough in a certain area where it was flooded with rocks, roots and mud. Took a nice fall and the boat landed with a thump on it's side, no cracks luckily and that was with a 28lb boat. My Chum will be ready next Spring probably and no portages for me unless I'm using wheels.

Seeker, my daughter is in her last year also but over in Ohio, I would have liked to have attended one of those football games standing with the kids the whole time...I do not have that in me either!

As of now I'm a "go" for the outing! Health and happiness to all.
Great to hear Coldfeet, what day are you planning on getting there? Is Mike coming?

One of the guys on the ADK paddling weekend had his own double blade he made from a 2X4, and he kept up with us. His stroke rate wasn't too fast. Nothing like a spoon added, just whittled down to fit his hands and reduce weight. Who Knew?
I have a double blade which I added and extension onto in case anybody wishes to try, right now it is about 8'. We can cut the extension down to any length you feel comfortable with. I would also be willing to part with it in case there is something to trade like for it such as Beer.

That "guy" was me. Greenland style kayak paddle. There's a little more involved than just whittling down a piece of cedar but basically that is how it is done.

I would like to make this gathering. I should be able to get there earlier to help secure campsite(s).

Doug W

So Robin,
It's sounding like you'll have lots of company. Where should we RSVP? Do you have a head count?
And are you aiming for the head of the lake? Sites 13-17 are all grouped in the SE corner, two of them on the big island. That corner is fairly well protected from prevailing winds.

So will you be able to stop at LTL for the gathering? That would be great. Are you using the Chum as a tandem with your daughter? They are a little shaky with two adults, but maybe that was just me.
(ps-if you come to the gathering, don't mention the secret Chestnut Chum handshake, I'll show when no one is around)

I'll probably be there... I love solo trips, but I really like having folks around the fire at night. I may have mentioned elsewhere that my limit is about 4 days. The voices in my head from work go quiet after about 12 hours, and then it's too quiet. If it looks like site(s) 11 and 12 are too crowded, I have no issue with camping off by myself at 10, or even across the lake, and night travel by compass isn't really that hard, and it's not but a few hundred yards... supposed to be a full moon in there too, I guess around the 6th.

No, with my daughter, I'd be using my OT Yankee. The extra foot length and few inches in width make it a better tandem, and we can carry a bit more gear. She's used to paddling my tippy Eureka, but we both really like the Yankee. It'll be hers when I'm gone (I'm taking the Chum with me when I go... lol). The LTL trip would be just me, and the Chum. And I won't say anything about the handshake. Thanks.

So Robin,
It's sounding like you'll have lots of company. Where should we RSVP? Do you have a head count?
And are you aiming for the head of the lake? Sites 13-17 are all grouped in the SE corner, two of them on the big island. That corner is fairly well protected from prevailing winds.
This is a pretty casual gathering. I'll be at 12 if it's vacant, but one never knows. Since there is no reserving of sites we are at the mercy of sites being vacant or not vacant. I think folks should just head towards 12 and be ready to be flexible as far as site choice.
I will hang a hunter orange vest at the site I'm at for a while, well for as long as I can stand looking at it.
It's a small lake, should be easy for CT'ers to hook up.
No head count or commitment needed, life and weather will change some folks plans which is ok.
A bag of firewood from a local source would be helpful but not necessary.

I just reconfirmed with the fridge calendar to see that The ADK Gathering this year falls on our Canadian Thanksgiving holiday. I've been vetoed, which means I'll miss all your hijinks. I trust the weather will be good and know the company excellent. Weather permitting we'll do a little paddling of our own up here leading up to our turkey dinner. I'll raise a glass to you all. Have fun out there.

Turkey???? We celebrated CDN Thanksgiving with canoe trippers with moose stew! On a canoe trip!
Bring moose!

I've gotta bail out, I have an in town craft show on the 7th that I just booked two spaces for.

See you in the spring

Maybe we can have a pot luck sharing happy hour?
I'm bringing up a few gallons of Matza Ball soup!
Will try to get some bagels also.
The car ride up there smells so good.
My plan is to leave the NYC area around 3 and get up to LTL around 9-10 and camp out near the car. Will then paddle early Saturday morning.
Unless there is a full moon paddle going on for me to join! Fingers crossed here. Be well.

10 PM? I forgot there was two 10 o'clocks in one day. If I'm not in my sleeping bag, I'll probably be asleep in my chair around the fire keeping Bruce company...haha

Any particular type of Liquor preferred? I bought a sixpack of Long Trail for sweeper but since he bailed I had to drink it. :eek:. No Grand Marnier for David.
I was thinking about doing a potroast in a dutch oven which I do not own yet... Any thoughts.? No Portage = Bigger Cooler.

Any particular type of Liquor preferred? I bought a sixpack of Long Trail for sweeper but since he bailed I had to drink it. :eek:. No Grand Marnier for David.
I was thinking about doing a potroast in a dutch oven which I do not own yet... Any thoughts.? No Portage = Bigger Cooler.

I don't canoe-camp without some good craft beer (in cans) and at least a small bottle of Sailor Jerry rum. I'll have some to share. But I am a horrible, impatient cook, so don't expect me to contribute to any pot-luck, lol! Boil the water, stir it in the dehydrated food, wait, enjoy. That'll do me.

-rs

Sweeper won't be there, but thanks for the 'Thinkabout'

Hey bcelect I'm trying to forget that afternoon/night :) Learned my lesson, forgot that I'm not 17 anymore. Just glad that I didn't wake up with a shaven eyebrow and lipstick smeared all over me! Reminds me of a views from the top (vftt) hiking gathering years ago and they pulled out a bottle of something nicknamed "The Dr." That was some powerful stuff, ouch!

Go Big or go home! Big cooler is the way to go! Losing weight now so i can eat well later. Potroast sounds yummy, pre thanksgiving dinner!

Got the Dutch Oven, Pot Roast will be my part of the Pot Luck.I may even try a cowboy breakfast casserole. Good recipe needed.....

Last edited:
I'm not very good at cooking for others, I tried it once and the other two guys where not impressed. Anyway, I'll bring my own and will taste a small portion of anyone else who wants to share, but I'm not really a group eat type. Sorry, too many solo trips I guess.:cool:

Back