• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Adirondack Gathering October 6,7,8 & 9th- 2017

Whitney Wilderness has an 8 person per site limit, and a 3 tent per site limit. I have often seen more than 3 tents on a site, not sure how strictly enforced that regulation might be...

I'm pretty sure we will need a few sites, and like bcelect says, some folks prefer to camp alone or with another paddler friend so it should work out ok. I'll be in there Thrusday afternoon and try to secure a decent site at the s/w end of the lake. If I'm there first, I will hang a "hunter orange" vest out front to help others find it.

Looking at the DEC map it is hard to see all of the island sites. Here is a better view, although is is on it's side.

Attachments

• IMG_1033.JPG
    IMG_1033.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
For what it is worth, I was out to LTL this past week, and stayed at Site 12 (one suggested earlier in this thread by Robin). Nice site, but could be a little crowded with 8 tents. I'm willing to bet a lot of the sites are like that. Sites 10, 11 and 12 are pretty spread out. The most concentrated area of camps in that corner of the lake are sites 13 thru 17, with relatively short paddles between sites, but I did not check any of them out. There are also a couple sites a short paddle up Rock Pond Outlet if one is so inclined.

Firewood availability at site 12 was pretty slim. Your best chance is probably to the northeast (headed towards site 11). Or to paddle some locally-sourced wood in with you.

I hope to be up there by early afternoon Friday. I could be there earlier, but I have to stop at the Growl & Grub in Long Lake to sample some beers, lol!

-rs

I'm guess I will be there. I haven't made any plans as yet, but I don't see any reason not to be there early, and I'm thinking of leaving on Tuesday morning to avoid I87 Columbus Weekend traffic.

It's about six miles. LTL is notorious for kicking up winds in the pm. It can be a 90 minute paddle or impossible a

Out of curiosity... what's the distance from the put-in to the end of the lake? I don't want to get to the put-in mid-afternoon and then have to set up camp in the dark. Anybody (other than Robin)
planning to get there Thursday?
If you are running late or Little Tupper is choppy, You can always grab a site on round pond if you wish to paddle in, grab a site on Horseshoe Lake or that one site on the road into Lows and then get an early start on Friday morning. I wont make a decision on which day I drive up until the week of.

Out of curiosity... what's the distance from the put-in to the end of the lake? I don't want to get to the put-in mid-afternoon and then have to set up camp in the dark. Anybody (other than Robin)
planning to get there Thursday?

My GPS reading from the put-in to Site 12 (close to the end of the lake) was 4.1 miles. This was staying close to the north shore but cutting across a couple bays. We had mild chop paddling in and it took a little over an hour, paddling loaded boats (two Hornbeck New Tricks and an 18' Wenonah Sundowner)

-rs

One year we got as far as 7 in45 minutes
Two strong paddlers in solo boats.
We gave up stayed on 7 and paddled the remainder in half an hour the next dat

My 2 sons camped at LTL last week with their family's. They where 9 people, ranger told them the limit per site is 8 and no congregating! So my son left his 6 year old at a site by herself.

I guess we will be given the same news but there are many sites so this should not be an issue.

And how'd that news go over with you?
Once I had a six year old that wanted to camp by herself and be free of bratty sister and parents

I guess that means 8 is the limit at all times regardless of social circumstance? I understand the detriments of overuse but some people are harder on stuff than others. I suppose establishing a rule and sticking to it is easier than deciding on exceptions.
This ADK get-together falls on our Thanksgiving long weekend. Complicated.

no congregating!

I don't know what that means. I understand a rule limiting the number of tents per site and the number of total people sleeping the tents on a site, but what does "no congregating" mean?

And how'd that news go over with you?
Once I had a six year old that wanted to camp by herself and be free of bratty sister and parents

HaHa, it was just a joke, I won't say what happened here, but they had a good weekend. My sons and wives enjoyed 3 days with two 6 yo, two 7 yo and a 10 yo. I lent them my 18' OT Chipewa, and they also had an OT camper and two Explorers, 15' and 16'

Well Robin, it looks like our schedules might finally coincide... I am actually planning on being up in NY from 27 Sep to 11 Oct... my daughter called me a couple months back, lamenting college life/summer jobs and not being able to go out overnight with me for 4 years... asked if I could come up over her fall break and if we could go somewhere. So i think THAT part of the trip is going to be the Allegheny Reservoir... but the second half of the trip is mine. Was debating Lows, Lila, or the St Regis (brain is trying to kill me, telling me "sure... you can do the loop in a Chum... you've still got it.") No, i do not.

I have never been to LTL, just passed it on the way to Lows. I will continue to watch this thread and see what happens.

Well Robin, it looks like our schedules might finally coincide... I am actually planning on being up in NY from 27 Sep to 11 Oct... my daughter called me a couple months back, lamenting college life/summer jobs and not being able to go out overnight with me for 4 years... asked if I could come up over her fall break and if we could go somewhere. So i think THAT part of the trip is going to be the Allegheny Reservoir... but the second half of the trip is mine. Was debating Lows, Lila, or the St Regis (brain is trying to kill me, telling me "sure... you can do the loop in a Chum... you've still got it.") No, i do not.

I have never been to LTL, just passed it on the way to Lows. I will continue to watch this thread and see what happens.

So will you be able to stop at LTL for the gathering? That would be great. Are you using the Chum as a tandem with your daughter? They are a little shaky with two adults, but maybe that was just me.
(ps-if you come to the gathering, don't mention the secret Chestnut Chum handshake, I'll show when no one is around)

Back