• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Adirondack Gathering October 6,7,8 & 9th- 2017

None of the photos of Tupper Lake I posted were mine. I just pulled them off the internet. I've never been to that lake, so I wanted to share what it looks like with others who may not have been there either. Looking forward to it.

I'm concerned Columbus Day weekend may turn out to be crowded, although the Dacks generally go quiet after Labor Day. I may go up the Sunday or Monday beforehand to do something else for a few days before the First Annual Mobbin' With Robin.

the through trip to Lila is nice and a short bicycle shuttle is possible.

Looks incredible. Thanks for the photos.
I hope my wife will have started a new job by then, so her participation is very uncertain. I may have to solo, which would be cool.

I'll put it on the calendar but we are trying to sell our house and might be over committed.
I'll try and keep it open. Wherever I am it will be around an 8 hour drive.
Jim

Looked over the DEC site link, I don't know the area or U.S. parks policy .... after reading, it seems hammocks aren't welcome. Is this the case?

Brian

Looked over the DEC site link, I don't know the area or U.S. parks policy .... after reading, it seems hammocks aren't welcome. Is this the case?

Brian

Yes, Hammocks are fine. I believe they do frown upon them at State Campgrounds as sites can be close together and the best trees may encroach into the next site. They also had a restriction on stringing rope between trees but don't enforce that much with tarps being so popular. As long as you use a hanging strap, don't damage the tree, and leave no trace.
The biggest restriction will be the amount of campers allowed on one site, we will probably need three and some of our group will probably want their own space anyway. We are good on the Maximum night restriction without a permit. It is a holiday weekend for some, Columbus Day, and usually a peak weekend for foliage, so the park will be busy, getting there early Friday will be beneficial.

As for hammocks damaging trees. I have hung a lot and don't even use my straps anymore. never seen any damage--except I never tie to birch tree-they are delicate. revisiting sites I have hung on in several past years, I can't see any evidence I was there.

Back